Issues with static, crackles, pops, and squeals during calls

jjmmhh

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm on my 3rd G2, with 3 different sim cards, from two different Verizon locations, and they've all done this. I've been able to demonstrate it for Verizon store personnel and other people. The issue does not occur when I switch back to my old cell phone. Oh, on a store manager's suggestion, I've also tried going in to Settings --> Tethering & Networks --> Mobile Networks --> System Select --> Network mode --> and toggled through those options.

I'm hoping others will comment if they're having a similar issue so maybe Verizon/LG will look in to it.

Thanks!

P.S. I'll be posting on a few other boards. Apologies in advance for the dupes!

James Tompkins1

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes I'm having issues also in Mobile Al. with the LG G2 Verizon phone. Took it to the store where bought and they would not hear it . All they want to do is get me to swap to a droid phone. I'm probably going to swap to the Galaxy Note 3, got till the 10th Oct. I got the LG G2 because of the camera mostly and the screen in daylight. Is it a Verizon only thing??? I'm beating it is.

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
jjmmhh I saw your other post with my post. Yup, been through 3 phones too. All from same two nearby stores. Verizon tech support couldn't help other than to say no one complained of this problem before, and put a ticket in to network group but it took them too long to call me, I returned my third phone by then. They said nothing they can do unless they are talking to me on the phone when it happens. I doubt there's anything they could have figured out from it other than to try to observe a pattern and correlate with something like signal strength or tower you're connected to. I think it's something LG has to debug but I don't know if they are even aware that this is happening. So I was not expecting an update to fix it any time soon, assuming it might have been software/firmware and not a hardware defect. So I gave up on the G2.

If verizon really cared to look into this problem, they would have given the phone I returned to LG and had them try to reproduce and diagnose the problem. There's a small possibility they did just that however, because when I returned the first phone with the problem, and they heard it, they called their LG rep to ask if they know of the problem and the rep said he would drop by the store the next week to look at the phone. I have no idea if that happened or not. It would be ironic if they couldn't reproduce it for him, since it can be stubborn sometimes.

jjmmhh

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I went through the song and dance with Verizon networking and they say it's nothing on their end (and I agree or my old phone, which I went back to for a day while I had them ship a G2 from elsewhere, would have had the same issue). The issue has occurred on multiple towers (even from within the Verizon store and calling the store or Vzw corporate) and it does not matter whether I'm talking to someone on a landline, AT&T, Verizon, or MetroPCS. It happens on every single call <sigh>.

A tech support person told me that they had an issue with call drops with a small set of customers when the Samsung Galaxy S3 came out and it took a while for them to realize that it was a real issue. Finally, Vzw engineers and Samsung engineers got together and and identified that a batch of phones had a manufacturer's defect. I'm hoping with enough noise (i.e. complaints) they will get together with LG and sort this out.

slide83

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
My phone has the same issue. My friend went through 2 G2s and both had the issue. He switched to a S4 and I'm going to switch to a Note 3. Verizon tech support sent me through the whole network thing too and then said it's my phone, but NO ONE had a similar issue....

jjmmhh

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I thought about switching to the Note 3 but it's far too large for me. Grrr... Verizon has no other phones at this time that interest me.

ScottyB#WN

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Hello, Thanks so much for posting this!!! Now I know I'm not the only one.
I got an Verizon LG G2 and had the same exact issue. I would only hear the crack, pops, and squeals on my end, but people on the receiving end of the call couldn't hear any issue. I took the phone back to a corporate Verizon store and exchanged it for another G2, and it did the exact same thing. The salesman in the store verified it as well and said it should be fixed by a future update from LG. But of course if almost no one is complaining about it (or Verizon isn't allowing people to post reviews about it...see my comment below), then I'm not too hopeful that LG will fix it. I ended up giving up on the phone, even though I loved everything else about it, other than the call quaility and I went back to my Galaxy Nexus...not sure what phone I will get now.

By the way, I tried making outbound calls to the same numbers on several other Android and Windows phones while in the store and none of them had this issue, except the G2. Plus my Galaxy Nexus and my wife's Lumia 822 don't have this issue either.

One more thing, I submitted a review on Verizon's website for the LG G2 and mentioned the reasons I really liked the phone except for this specific call quality issue and a slight lag issue on certain screens, but Verizon rejected it, saying I didn't meet the posting requirements!! But it did, as far I could tell, meet the requirements.

Last edited:

bills742

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that's low of Verizon to screen their reviews. I still don't understand why only some people experience the transformers-like noise issue (myself included) and other people don't. Especially since it happens with multiple g2's from the same user. Is it something with our accounts or our location? I talked to level 2 tech support at Verizon and they are aware of the audio issue with our phones. Hopefully more people will call and complain so they fix it. Because I don't think I can handle the size of the note 3!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4

jjmmhh

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello, Thanks so much for posting this!!! Now I know I'm not the only one.

I posted this issue on the Verizon Community boards, also, and have gotten responses from some people having the same issue. One person states that he was told by Verizon tech support that they are aware of several issues with this phone and are just waiting for a certain number of people to complain before LG gets involved.

jjmmhh

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I've been wondering that myself. My first two phones came from the same store; my 3rd was ordered from corporate and shipped from another state. Initially I was thinking that maybe the box the store had received had been mistreated during shipping. If it were an issue with the towers then the Verizon employee at my local corp store would be experiencing the same thing and he's not. It sure is a puzzle.

I'm not sure what I will do when my 14 days are up... the Note 3 is too big and Verizon has nothing else this good.

- - - Updated - - -

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Everyone experiencing this should call into VZW and log a bug report/support ticket. The more they hear about this the more quickly it will be researched and hopefully resolved.

ScottyB#WN

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
FYI, I sent the following note directly to LG. I plan on sending something similar to Verizon as well:

Issues with static, crackles, pops, and squeals during calls
I had to return my LG G2 to Verizon because of call quality issues. I got a second one and had to return it as well for the same issue. I loved the phone in every other way, and was very disappointed to have to return it. Would love to buy it again if you could fix this issue. Here is the issue described in this post: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...tatic-crackles-pops-squeals-during-calls.html I so hope you can address this issue and if you could let me know if and when you do, because this is the only phone I want to own that Verizon carries right now!!!

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
One more thing, I submitted a review on Verizon's website for the LG G2 and mentioned the reasons I really liked the phone except for this specific call quality issue and a slight lag issue on certain screens, but Verizon rejected it, saying I didn't meet the posting requirements!! But it did, as far I could tell, meet the requirements. To be honest the only reason I can see that they rejected it was because it wasn't entirely positive. After this I have lost quite a bit of confidence in the phone reviews on Verizon's site, since it appear they are filtering them.

In all honesty Scotty, I've read some very negative reviews on a number of phones on the Verizon website. In fact there are a couple of those on the G2 too. I don't think they're filtering them at all. I suspect there was something you did that didn't meet whatever criteria they needed. Verizon certainly pushes the Galaxy phones more than the LG phones, yet the reviews on the Samsung are decidedly less positive than on the G2.

With that said, I hope you guys get some resolution on this issue. I'm still betting it's related to how some towers are dealing (or not dealing) with the G2. It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened with a new phone.

bills742

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
With that said, I hope you guys get some resolution on this issue. I'm still betting it's related to how some towers are dealing (or not dealing) with the G2. It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened with a new phone.

If it is a tower(s) related issue, how quickly was the issue solved with other new phones?

bills742

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Just got off the phone with Verizon tech support. They pushed a prl update to my phone. Not sure if it helps yet. But go get your updates!

jjmmhh

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Just got off the phone with Verizon tech support. They pushed a prl update to my phone. Not sure if it helps yet. But go get your updates!

Let us know if that works for you!

I don't think it will resolve my problem. During my troubleshooting I turned on the roaming indicators and I've not roamed once in my 2 week+ tenure with one or another of these phones.

bills742

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Let us know if that works for you!

I don't think it will resolve my problem. During my troubleshooting I turned on the roaming indicators and I've not roamed once in my 2 week+ tenure with one or another of these phones.

Didn't work sadly :( I feel like a I have a phone that belongs in transformers with the sounds it makes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton