Device quality? Trying to make a decision

thbrewst

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
In need of a new phone for work and am deciding between the G2 and Droid Maxx. In doing the requisite research I am starting to be concerned that the quality of the new G2s is a bit sketchy. It is tough to tell if some of the common issues I'm reading about (screen jumping, poor call quality) are fairly common or just that the ones having the issues are very vocal. In reviewing the Maxx I see complaints obviously but they seem more along the lines of whether folks like a given feature or not, not whether the phone itself is functioning correctly.

Any thoughts here? Are these big G2 issues just a vocal minority?

Thanks.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

I would probably lean towards the G2 unless you just really want the Maxx. Get the phone, spend a couple days with it. If you feel like the quality is not what should be...exchange it.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
In need of a new phone for work and am deciding between the G2 and Droid Maxx. In doing the requisite research I am starting to be concerned that the quality of the new G2s is a bit sketchy. It is tough to tell if some of the common issues I'm reading about (screen jumping, poor call quality) are fairly common or just that the ones having the issues are very vocal. In reviewing the Maxx I see complaints obviously but they seem more along the lines of whether folks like a given feature or not, not whether the phone itself is functioning correctly.

Any thoughts here? Are these big G2 issues just a vocal minority?

Thanks.

Not to downplay those people's issues, but I would say yes that they are just a vocal minority. I've yet to have a single issue with this phone and I bought it on day one. In fact I probably bought the first one from the store that I went to. So it doesn't have anything to do with the first batch or anything like that. I've had a Thunderbolt, my wife had the Revolution (she now has the iPhone 5), and I just came from a Galaxy Nexus. I honestly like this phone more than any phone that I've had experience with. I even checked out the Droids and the X before I decided on the G2. I'm so glad that I went with the G2.

thbrewst

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Biggest issue with exchanging is I buy this through my corporate channel not through a store. So if the phone is a bust and I have to exchange it there is a significant PITA factor there. I appreciate that any phone I choose could be defective, just trying to minimize that as best I can.

Generally I really like the specs of the G2 (ignoring the LG interface), but those specs would not be worth dealing with a problem child device. I'm also a bit concerned that LG will not update the Andriod version on this device, but that is not as big a deal to me.

BTW, thanks for the info thus far.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I really feel if you want top notch quality phone. Get the iPhone 5s. Hell no android can touch it in performance or durability. And that 64bit chip is yummy.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Biggest issue with exchanging is I buy this through my corporate channel not through a store. So if the phone is a bust and I have to exchange it there is a significant PITA factor there. I appreciate that any phone I choose could be defective, just trying to minimize that as best I can.

Generally I really like the specs of the G2 (ignoring the LG interface), but those specs would not be worth dealing with a problem child device. I'm also a bit concerned that LG will not update the Andriod version on this device, but that is not as big a deal to me.

BTW, thanks for the info thus far.

What do you have at the moment? I actually love the LG interface. I've said in another thread that Google could actually use some of the features and put them in AOSP. LG has really taken advantage of their Nexus experience. I honestly don't think it is nearly as intrusive as some of the other interfaces, but at the same time it's not just plain.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I bought the G2 with all the intentions of renting it for 2 weeks when selling my note 2 and buying the note 3 today on Verizon. I quite frankly dont plan on giving up the phone. It's lightning fast with every task and now adding new themes make it awesome without root. I have yet to have any issues, knock on wood with mine. Great reception and service. I'm in a huge LTE market in Phoenix. Give it a whirl, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Mr.Mcgoo

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
It is always a possibility to receive a defective device from any brand even Apple! I think majority of the phones coming out today are all great phones and comes down to more personal preference. The G2 is my first LG phone and I have owned many phones and so far I really like this device. I would spend some time on your day off messing around with these phones at VZ or wherever you can and decide what you like the best and go for it. Right now I feel I have made the right choice with the G2 and have had it since it was released. Good luck

thbrewst

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
What do you have at the moment?

Samsung Droid Charge, circa 2011 I believe. Like the LTE connectivity, and the display is pretty crisp considering the age of the phone. Battery life is mediocre at best (as with most of these older LTE phones). I don't have any specific love or hate for the Samsung skin, but this is also running Gingerbread, so I'm not exactly current.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Droid Charge, circa 2011 I believe. Like the LTE connectivity, and the display is pretty crisp considering the age of the phone. Battery life is mediocre at best (as with most of these older LTE phones). I don't have any specific love or hate for the Samsung skin, but this is also running Gingerbread, so I'm not exactly current.

Wow, kudos for sticking it out for so long. Since I'm the account owner I took an upgrade from my mother's line to get the Galaxy Nexus and gave her the Thunderbolt, but even the Thunderbolt was at least upgraded to ICS. If you don't have any love or hate for Touchwiz, then I wouldn't be concerned with LG's "skin". Even if you don't like the icons and/or theme, you can always download new themes. Right now I have the stock Jelly Bean theme running without root. That doesn't change the actual functionality like if you root and go to AOSP, but it at least looks like stock. Quite frankly I was getting a little bored with stock and like I said in the previous post, LG put some really nice features in and they aren't just gimmicky.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I really feel if you want top notch quality phone. Get the iPhone 5s. Hell no android can touch it in performance or durability. And that 64bit chip is yummy.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

I really feel the Iphone 5s is so very much 'been there done that'. Nothing changes with Iphones and even IOS7 did little to make a boring phone exciting. Small screen, same form factor as always...yawn. The 64bit 'yummy' chip does you no good at this point. So I look at that 'yummy' chip as 'empty calories'.

As for performance, please, the G2 runs circles around the 5s.

mrstarzan

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I've had my G2 for only one week and I LOVE IT! I too was torn between the Maxx and it... on paper. Then I went to the store and played with them both for a long time. Go to this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-maxx/322660-considering-maxx.html Maybe it will help, as well.

I'm experiencing better call quality than my GNex or Tbolt ever did. But, I know the Moto's of late have had good call quality/signal too. No screen issues with mine either. This phone is fast and the screen really keeps up with it beautifully!

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Just switched from S4 to LG G2, and I am so glad I did! Nicer screen, smoother operation (scrolling, etc), and I hated the mechanical home button and capacitative buttons.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

DorothyP

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I am very happy with my LG G2. I had a Droid X since 2009 and honestly liked Moto but wanted a change. I saw the Optimus G Pro and really liked it but knew the LG G2 was coming and decided to wait as I am on VZW.
I prefer LCD to AMOLED so that sealed the decision. Only the Nexus 5 was left on the table but I had to jump to keep my unlimited data and grabbed it. Over the past 2 weeks I have really enjoyed it.
I wish the battery were removable and it has a mem card slot but it really is not an issue as the battery is long lasting.That said, the Moto phones look very nice and I think these things are always personal taste, feel in hand and so forth. Both good choices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital