Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rjrobins
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Day 13 thinking of switch to maxx help!

Well it's day 13 and I have to say I really love this phone. I love the screen the shape everything, check,even the,keyboard got me to switch from swiftkey .....except my battery life is not where I want it. I guess I'm a heavy user and I can't het the phone to last all day for me, also for some reason I only have like 600mb of ram available and that's with using the widget to dump memory. I also feel sort of like I'm missing something with all off the moto software features like voice command and active notifications.
    I just read a post from,one,of,the ac guys and he was saying how moto got it right with the x8 chipset and how they've shown you don't need the 800 chipset to have a smooth phone.
    So please talk me in or out of it
    Or maybe help me,figure out how with,battery saver,on I lost 5% typing this post
    Thanks

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    743 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

Default Re: Day 13 thinking of switch to maxx help!

I don't have battery burn like that, but I'm guessing your usage is much different from mine. If battery life is your biggest concern, it should be a no brainer. Go Maxx or go home.

Just don't complain when you can't knock knock to open your new phone!

Posted via Android Central App

I switched from am Razr Maxx, and I could not be more happy with the G2. I have had zero issues, no lag with anything, Wonderful battery life, fast charging, and amazing screen when it comes to direct sun light too. Not sure you can really compare the 2 phones.
    Current Phone is, VZW LG G2

I don't have any battery issues n I'm a heavy user. Maybe u have a bad unit who knows.

But as far as talking u in or out of what phone YOU should get one way or the other at the end of the day it has to be YOUR choice.

Posted from my awesome Lg G2

Had two friends who got Maxx's the end of the week because of battery life and they liked "Dynamic Notifications" that was on my Gnex and they wanted a copy of it. That weekend Vzn had its Unlimited weekend and I jumped on the LG G2 based on specs and early reviews. Within a few days the Maxx's were returned. They couldn't believe the screen difference, camera quality difference, and probably most importantly the speed difference. The G2 is a beast/future phone that while the Maxx might have an amazing battery and Active Notifications, it won't be fast next year with dual core and all the new apps. I might be wrong but I'm glad I won't have to question it being a G2 owner. The Maxx has a larger battery but with the G2 battery technology it's close. This is a no-brainer for me - but after 13 days and you're somehow not yet sold on how awesome the G2 is - it might not be on your end...GL

It's all a matter of personal preference. For me, it would be the Maxx no contest. Those who say its "dual core" processor can't handle or won't be able to handle apps down the road just don't understand how the x8 works. The G2 is a very nice device but so is the Maxx. I can tell you first hand that the new moto features are the best, most useful innovations I've ever seen. Ultimately it's up to you.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP

Fyi you can get active notifications by simply installing the dynamic notifications app. Works great on my G2.
    xr6

I get up at 5 am surf on way to work for about hour , surf back home another hour, stream pandora for like 4 hours at work , my daughter plays her kiddie games on it for like 2 or 3 , and I still have tons of battery left.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Ok, I restarted my phone and my available ram went from 670 to 880 maybe there was something in background that was running and wasting battery that I wasn't aware of.
    I really love this phone I'll monitor the r er st of day and see. Does the 14 days go from when the phone arrived or when I activated it? Arrived 2 weeks ago Tuesday buy I didn't activate it until Wednesday or Thursday.

ROM
    BAMF Cubed!

Which app do you use for that?

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock LG G2 / CM10 G-Nex

Quote Originally Posted by benhmadison View Post
    It's all a matter of personal preference. For me, it would be the Maxx no contest. Those who say its "dual core" processor can't handle or won't be able to handle apps down the road just don't understand how the x8 works. The G2 is a very nice device but so is the Maxx. I can tell you first hand that the new moto features are the best, most useful innovations I've ever seen. Ultimately it's up to you.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
    To the OP I have none of the issues that you are having and am a heavy user. I typically get 15 hours of battery juice minimum in a day.

To benhmadison go read Anadtechs review on both devices.
    ~>2BMEISIMPOSSIBLE<~
    ~>2BURSELFISINEVITABLE<~

Quote Originally Posted by mgindi26 View Post
    Ok, I restarted my phone and my available ram went from 670 to 880 maybe there was something in background that was running and wasting battery that I wasn't aware of.
    I really love this phone I'll monitor the r er st of day and see. Does the 14 days go from when the phone arrived or when I activated it? Arrived 2 weeks ago Tuesday buy I didn't activate it until Wednesday or Thursday.

My Memory is around the same numbers. I think that is probably about average or what you should be getting. Correct me if i'm wrong guys, but i'm pretty sure the OS alone will almost take up 1GB alone. So it should be about the same with the Maxx

Global Posts
    743 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

I'm not sure when the 14 days starts, I'd call to make sure. I've checked my RAM usage throughout the day, and I've been sitting between 600 and 700 available, almost regardless of the apps that I have recently used. Is there really a direct correlation between RAM usage and battery life, or are you using the change as indicator that maybe there was an app running and causing the problem?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Well I'm using the ram as an indicator that something must be running. Here are the screen shots for battery usage and ram widget.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Day 13 thinking of switch to maxx help!-1382472631442.jpg   Day 13 thinking of switch to maxx help!-1382472650854.jpg   Day 13 thinking of switch to maxx help!-1382472659396.jpg   Day 13 thinking of switch to maxx help!-1382472669136.jpg   Day 13 thinking of switch to maxx help!-1382472680878.jpg  

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Is 15 hours good? And how much screen time. Also is anadtech a poster or a website? Shui you have a link for the review?

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock LG G2 / CM10 G-Nex

Is 15 hours good? And how much screen time. Also is anadtech a poster or a website? Shui you have a link for the review?

The way I look at it is a typical day is broken down into 3's. 8 hours work, play and sleep so roughly 16 hours is a day for me and I am a heavy user. 15 hours is the minimum I get on a full charge. I will have to look to let you know the screen on time. Also here is their website AnandTech | Home
    ~>2BMEISIMPOSSIBLE<~
    ~>2BURSELFISINEVITABLE<~

Why do people worry about "free ram" on a linux based system? Free RAM use wasted RAM. The system will handle ram as it needs to.

If you have problems with battery on this phone. It will be the same on the maxx. I wouldnt even think of changing to the maxx for any reason.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by mannw1977 View Post
    If you have problems with battery on this phone. It will be the same on the maxx. I wouldnt even think of changing to the maxx for any reason.
    Even though the maxx has the x8 chipset lower resolution and larger battery? I thought I could get at least 20% more usage out of the maxx. Why do you say no?

Even though the maxx has the x8 chipset lower resolution and larger battery? I thought I could get at least 20% more usage out of the maxx. Why do you say no?

Well for starters, LG made huge improvements with the display and battery usage (as well as how absolutely stunning it looks). Also, the SD800 offers all the features that are on the X8 (though LG's stock software may not take advantage of it all). The SD800 while being clocked higher actually uses less power than SD600s and X8s. The G2 also has video GRAM and the display uses much less power as well. When I game heavily in a day (think N.O.V.A. 3, Dead Trigger 2, etc), I can easily get 5+ hours screen on, game time. I don't play 5+ hours a day though except on very rare occasions but even then, Media Sever is first one the power usage list, followed then by Display. On my other Android phones (OG DROID, Galaxy Nexus) Display was always first in the list of services which used the most power.

It's also good to point out that LG also uses a new algorithm to help cut down on power consumption by the display. Instead of supplying power constantly to needed pixels, when it knows that a pixel hasn't changed, it starts doing some type of low power cycling which I'm not fully knowledgeable on right now but obviously it helps a lot. This combined with thekmore efficient SD800 and Adreno 330 allow it to compete with the Maxx which has a larger battery and lower resolution. Much the same way that the iPhone 5s' A7 CPU (clocked at only like 1.2GHz with only 1GB RAM and a MUCH smaller battery) outperforms nearly any Android phone out as of right now (with the G2 being the top competitor against it). Say what you will about Apple as I personally hate the company with a passion but they got the hardware right this time around. The X8 is also very capable and Motorola created a very optimized platform which it runs on but even still, it falls far behind the G2. The experience may be smooth on the X8 and you may enjoy it which is fine, but you'll have just a smooth time if not more on the G2. For active notifications, as said by others, all you need to do is install the ddynamic notification app in the PlayStore. All Active Notifications are is an app created by Motorola that takes advantage of the newer chipsets. Similar software can be obtained from the PlayStore to accomplish nearly the same. Motorola also has a deserved reputation for signal strength and even iI wasn't expecting to receive better signal strength with the G2. II'veeexperienced this myself as have many others (lots of threads on Droid Forums about this). The X/Maxx/Ultraare great phones, and the G2 is an even greater phone. You won't be disappointed by any of them.
    Thanked by: