Universal search?

bgrushin

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Just switched to the G2 from SG3 about 2 weeks ago and have settled in quite nicely except I haven't been able to figure out how to pull up universal search. On my SG3 (and I think most other phones) if you held down the menu button search would popup and you can start typing and it would search through your contacts, apps, and internet if it didn't find anything in the other 2, but I can't find a shortcut like that on the G2. I know I can go to to Google app which launches google now but it was more convenient for me to hold menu button. Also haven't been able to find any setting that tells google now to put the cursor straight into the search box when launching google now, kind of annoying that I have to do it myself, slows the process and not as easy, with the menu button shortcut it pretty much knew you wanted to search and put the cursor in the search box, here they think you may just want to look at your cards and don't bring up keyboard right away.

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
On my HTC phone it's a long press on the Home button.
But my Sony tablet uses the standard of Jelly Bean: A wiping gesture from the Home button to the screen's center.
You might try both ... :)

HarvesterX?

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Swipe up from the "Home" button and you have three choices. After swiping up (or across if in landscape mode), continue swiping until your finger hits the icon that says "Google". This will open Google Now where you can globally search from. By default it does a Google search, but there are links at the bottom. Click on the phone icon and it will change the Google search into a search on your phone for the keyword(s).

Long pressing the home button opens up the recent apps list (task manager). Normally, the Menu button should have been tthe Recents button and I have no idea why LG did this as It's the only thing that irritates me. I don't mind long pressing the Home button but I do mind havingto or sas the Menu button to discover if the current dialog I'm on has any options. Normally a long press on Home should open up Search but they had to swap that with the Recents menu.

All this can be changed though it you're rooted and if you are rooted it becomes a moot point (which I am, so even that doesn't irritate me)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781