Android OS has chewed up 5GB of background data, yet I'm on WiFi 22 hours a day.

EddieonMobile

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Had a Nexus with Unlmited data. Upgraded to LG G2 and switched to 6GB. I've never used over 2GB since I've had my Droid Eris. I got this phone at the end of Sept, and at 6GB now. I'm ALWAYS on wifi.

I did a factory reset a week ago, and it's used 1GB since the reset. I've disabled the CallerID service.

Anyone come across this?

rjrobins

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm at 8.214GB for the past 20 days but I have unlimited. Can't imagine being tied to a tiered data plan with this phone! It makes 0 sense to me how you could be on WiFi that much and use that much data. If you click on settings - 4th down is "mobile data". Click on it and it should tell you not only what your phone is using data on and you can also set up a data warning. Hopefully that should help and just turn the data off if you're close or remove an app that's causing your data issues.

HarvesterX?

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Just do as he said abone me. Go into Settling and click on Mobile Data. Dont click the total to turn it on and off, but click closer to where it says "Mobile Data". The next page should present you your usage graph and some other information, but school all the way down until it starts lasting apps by names. They will be sorted by apps consuming most bandwidth to least bandwidth by default (unsure if you can change that).

A quick look there should tell you which apps are consuming the most and which ones you need to deal with. Androidas an ooperating system won't be consuming thst much data, so it has to be one of the apps in that list.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
What Harvester said above. Also, you can click on each of those apps and restrict them to wifi only. Depending upon what those apps do for you, you may or may not want to restrict them.

EddieonMobile

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I should have mentioned it in the first post, it's Android OS background data. New billing cycle and I'm up to 300mb in 3 days. It's less than it's been since disabling a bunch of Verizon apps, but still large. I have location services off, which I never had to do on my Nexus, backups off, only gmail synced. Support had no clue.

EddieonMobile

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I think I might have figured it out. On my nexus, I had preloading of youtube on wifi and didn't on the LG G2. I also read that youtube displays as Android OS data even through Youtube is listed under the data usage. I checked my bill online, shows 98mb at 12:45PM today, and I know it was youtube, but youtube shows 10mb and Android OS has 100MB. I'll report back after a few days.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I think I might have figured it out. On my nexus, I had preloading of youtube on wifi and didn't on the LG G2. I also read that youtube displays as Android OS data even through Youtube is listed under the data usage. I checked my bill online, shows 98mb at 12:45PM today, and I know it was youtube, but youtube shows 10mb and Android OS has 100MB. I'll report back after a few days.

This. YouTube streaming shows up as Android OS. Played a couple hours of music from YouTube through a big Bluetooth speaker and "Android OS" was at 1.96 GB

Posted via Android Central App

Shane050

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Had a Nexus with Unlmited data. Upgraded to LG G2 and switched to 6GB. I've never used over 2GB since I've had my Droid Eris. I got this phone at the end of Sept, and at 6GB now. I'm ALWAYS on wifi.

I did a factory reset a week ago, and it's used 1GB since the reset. I've disabled the CallerID service.

Anyone come across this?