Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Debating on the G2 - Questions

    I'm thinking of giving up my S4 for a G2. The price on brand new ones has dropped to the point where it's nearly a wash for me to try something new. While I like my S4, I have an addiction to new phones and the screen, battery life, speed, and camera have me intrigued by this phone.

    Anyone coming from a non-LG phone (in particular something like an S3, S4, Note 2, or Note 3) to the G2? Anything specific you think I should know?

    How is the LG software compared to TouchWiz?

    How is the camera compared to the top of the line Samsung phones?

    How are you getting by with the button placement?

    Does anyone have any clue how LG is with updates? HTC and Samsung seem to be doing pretty well these days.

    Thanks to anyone who can help!
  2. #2  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    9,185 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,449 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    I'm thinking of giving up my S4 for a G2. The price on brand new ones has dropped to the point where it's nearly a wash for me to try something new. While I like my S4, I have an addiction to new phones and the screen, battery life, speed, and camera have me intrigued by this phone.

    Anyone coming from a non-LG phone (in particular something like an S3, S4, Note 2, or Note 3) to the G2? Anything specific you think I should know?

    How is the LG software compared to TouchWiz?

    How is the camera compared to the top of the line Samsung phones?

    How are you getting by with the button placement?

    Does anyone have any clue how LG is with updates? HTC and Samsung seem to be doing pretty well these days.

    Thanks to anyone who can help!
    I have an S4 but I have tried out the G2 for some time.
    1. It's basically a slightly bigger S4 with buttons on the back and software buttons on the screen
    2. While it runs smoother than TouchWiz because of the SD800, the Note 3 runs it just as smooth or at least comparably. Looks wise I'd say it's an even uglier TouchWiz (Didn't think it was possible)
    3. I'd say the camera can be better than the S4 but it's pretty inconsistent, at times it will take really good shots and others it will take barely decent ones but the Note 3's is better than both
    4. Most people say it feels more natural to them since your fingers probably rest there anyway
    5. Don't have a G2 so I'm not sure
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    I have an S4 but I have tried out the G2 for some time.
    1. It's basically a slightly bigger S4 with buttons on the back and software buttons on the screen
    2. While it runs smoother than TouchWiz because of the SD800, the Note 3 runs it just as smooth or at least comparably. Looks wise I'd say it's an even uglier TouchWiz (Didn't think it was possible)
    3. I'd say the camera can be better than the S4 but it's pretty inconsistent, at times it will take really good shots and others it will take barely decent ones but the Note 3's is better than both
    4. Most people say it feels more natural to them since your fingers probably rest there anyway
    5. Don't have a G2 so I'm not sure
    So basically you're telling me to stay with the S4 or go to a Note? Haha. I would run Nova on it, so the skin isn't the biggest issue. The camera is a big issue, though. And if it can be a problem then I'm not going to be too interested.

    Thanks for your input.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  4. #4  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    9,185 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,449 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    So basically you're telling me to stay with the S4 or go to a Note? Haha. I would run Nova on it, so the skin isn't the biggest issue. The camera is a big issue, though. And if it can be a problem then I'm not going to be too interested.

    Thanks for your input.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, if you get the G2 though, since you say you like to change phones a lot you could have it for about 6 months then get the S5
    And yeah, if the size isn't too much then I'd get the Note 3.
    A quick question, did 4.3 improve the performance on the S4? I should be getting it in two weeks but unless the lag is much improved I won't even try it
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Yeah, if you get the G2 though, since you say you like to change phones a lot you could have it for about 6 months then get the S5
    And yeah, if the size isn't too much then I'd get the Note 3.
    A quick question, did 4.3 improve the performance on the S4? I should be getting it in two weeks but unless the lag is much improved I won't even try it
    I do change a lot, I have a new phone addiction. 6 months is about all I can handle. Ha. I've been checking out the G2, Note 3, One, and X. Can't really decide between them all. Not sure about the size of the Note. And I think 4.3 vastly improved the speed of the S4. There are some other glitches that I'm not a huge fan of, however.
  6. #6  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    9,185 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,449 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    I do change a lot, I have a new phone addiction. 6 months is about all I can handle. Ha. I've been checking out the G2, Note 3, One, and X. Can't really decide between them all. Not sure about the size of the Note. And I think 4.3 vastly improved the speed of the S4. There are some other glitches that I'm not a huge fan of, however.
    Hmm, I'd say either the X or One just to change it up a bit, the G2 and GS4 are fairly similar. What about the glitches? Is it the annoying Knox thing I've been reading about?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    The people that make a big deal about the UI obviously want to to dislike the phone for some reason. Since you can use themes on the G2 the UI really isn't that big of an issue. If you are okay with Touchwiz you'll be fine with LG's UI. You'll notice that the only person actually responding to you is trying to talk you out of it and he's been that way since the beginning. I don't know why, but he has a bias against it for some reason. You'll notice that this forum isn't super active and part of the reason is because everyone is loving the phone and not having any issues. There isn't a reason to be on the forums for hours a day if you don't have issues or problems to ask about.

    Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk
    akira751 likes this.
  8. #8  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    9,185 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,449 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by VideoEngineerAJS View Post
    The people that make a big deal about the UI obviously want to to dislike the phone for some reason. Since you can use themes on the G2 the UI really isn't that big of an issue. If you are okay with Touchwiz you'll be fine with LG's UI. You'll notice that the only person actually responding to you is trying to talk you out of it and he's been that way since the beginning. I don't know why, but he has a bias against it for some reason. You'll notice that this forum isn't super active and part of the reason is because everyone is loving the phone and not having any issues. There isn't a reason to be on the forums for hours a day if you don't have issues or problems to ask about.

    Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk
    I'm sorry. Am I not entitled to an opinion? He asked for input and I just gave him mine. In my opinion, it isn't worth the money because of the similarity but the OP says that's not an issue than he can get the phone if he wants. Just though I'd let him know what I thought of the phone.

    Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Hmm, I'd say either the X or One just to change it up a bit, the G2 and GS4 are fairly similar. What about the glitches? Is it the annoying Knox thing I've been reading about?
    I haven't had the Knox issue yet. I do have a problem with clicking notifications and it not unlocking the phone. Which it did before the update. And I get a constant notification about my wifi connection not being strong, even though I'm running at 9ish Mbps.

    I'm actually agreeing with you about the X or One. Just for something different. The X is tough to ignore.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by VideoEngineerAJS View Post
    The people that make a big deal about the UI obviously want to to dislike the phone for some reason. Since you can use themes on the G2 the UI really isn't that big of an issue. If you are okay with Touchwiz you'll be fine with LG's UI. You'll notice that the only person actually responding to you is trying to talk you out of it and he's been that way since the beginning. I don't know why, but he has a bias against it for some reason. You'll notice that this forum isn't super active and part of the reason is because everyone is loving the phone and not having any issues. There isn't a reason to be on the forums for hours a day if you don't have issues or problems to ask about.

    Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk
    So what's your opinion on the phone according to what I was looking for? I haven't decided against it yet at all. I still think it looks like a great phone. But I'd love some opinions for sure.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  11. #11  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    9,185 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,449 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    Let me rephrase what I said so I don't sound biased
    1. If money is not an issue and you want an S4 with better specs and back buttons, get the G2.
    2. If you want a bigger S4 with a pen get the Note 3.
    3. If you want something completely different than the LG/Samsung UI get the One or the Moto X.

    Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Let me rephrase what I said so I don't sound biased
    1. If money is not an issue and you want an S4 with better specs and back buttons, get the G2.
    2. If you want a bigger S4 with a pen get the Note 3.
    3. If you want something completely different than the LG/Samsung UI get the One or the Moto X.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Haha. And well said. Don't worry, I'm not mad at you for your posts here. I welcome any and all opinions and comments.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  13. #13  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    9,185 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,449 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    Haha. And well said. Don't worry, I'm not mad at you for your posts here. I welcome any and all opinions and comments.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Yeah but it did kind of seem like I was pushing you away from the G2
    Have you considered the Nexus 5? Best of both worlds of the HTC One (Size and screen) and Moto X (Software)
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Yeah but it did kind of seem like I was pushing you away from the G2
    Have you considered the Nexus 5? Best of both worlds of the HTC One (Size and screen) and Moto X (Software)
    Man, I would take one of those in a heartbeat. But I'm on Verizon and that won't happen for me.
  15. #15  
    Jrid32's Avatar

    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    I have the G2 and my wife has the S4. I looked at every smartphone at Verizon prior to getting the G2. Plus I had a few months to play around with my wife's S4. The G2 has great battery life, as good or better camera, extremely fast, ability to utilize themes (which takes LG vs TouchWiz out of the equation), Knock-Knock (which is one of the best Android features I have seen in recent years). IMO the G2 is the best Android on the market right now.

    Fyi, the rear button placement is very poor on the Verizon variant but since I put on the Dual Pro case it has greatly improved (buttons are much easier to find).
    Thanked by 2:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Jrid32 View Post
    I have the G2 and my wife has the S4. I looked at every smartphone at Verizon prior to getting the G2. Plus I had a few months to play around with my wife's S4. The G2 has great battery life, as good or better camera, extremely fast, ability to utilize themes (which takes LG vs TouchWiz out of the equation), Knock-Knock (which is one of the best Android features I have seen in recent years). IMO the G2 is the best Android on the market right now.

    Fyi, the rear button placement is very poor on the Verizon variant but since I put on the Dual Pro case it has greatly improved (buttons are much easier to find).
    That's the kind of stuff I was looking for. I won't be rooting or anything, but when you say "theming" do you mean you can change things internally or just with stuff like Nova or Apex? I would most likely put Nova on it because I like the stock look a bit more.

    Anything else you notice about it compared to the S4?
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    I also have a G2. I came from a Nokia Lumia 920. I find the camera is not as good as well as the ease and use of the phone poor verses my Lumia. The interface is clunky but I am mostly describing Android verses Windows Phone. If tmobile had a compelling Windows Phone I would have picked that up.

    As for the G2. I think for its size it is the best phone on the market. It has a good camera. It doesn't hold a candle to the Lumia phones but it is still pretty good. I like the software features like knock on, and also you press the volume key down to open the camera.

    For LG interface I like it better than touch wiz. You can put themes and change icons.

    I find the G2 a step up from the S4. Probably the only device better for Android right now is the note 3.

    Sent from my LG-D801 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    I came from the HTC DNA, which was an awesome phone. I have been a big HTC fan, but for me, the One wasn't a step up and the One Max was just too big.

    After test-driving the G2 for just a few days, I was hooked. Love the button placement, the fantastic screen, and the AMAZING battery life. No looking back, and happy I made the switch.
    Thanked by:
  19. #19  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    9,185 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,449 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    Man, I would take one of those in a heartbeat. But I'm on Verizon and that won't happen for me.
    Sucks If battery is also a big factor then the best of any of the ones mentioned here would probably be the G2 with the Note 3 a close second. The S4 is good on battery but about 1-2 hours less of screen time depending on your usage.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    I recently switched from an S4 to the G2, and I have been 99% happy with the switch.

    PROS:

    (1) Screen is much brighter than S4, and visible in sunlight.

    (2) Nova runs great on either, but everything is a bit smoother on the G2.

    (3) The back buttons are fantastic, and completely prevent accidental button presses when holding or pocketing the phone.

    (4) I hated the mechanical home button with a passion, and much prefer the soft-keys of the G2. You can even choose which keys are positioned where, to emulate either the Samsung positioning or the Nexus positioning.

    (5) Knock-on, knock-off is great! It means you almost never need to use the mechanical on-off button at all.

    (6) Battery life is *much* better.

    CON:

    (1) The speaker is quieter than the S4.

    As far as the camera, I am not a high-end photographer, and I have been equally satisfied with the S4 and G2 cameras.
    Thanked by:
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
    I recently switched from an S4 to the G2, and I have been 99% happy with the switch.

    PROS:

    (1) Screen is much brighter than S4, and visible in sunlight.

    (2) Nova runs great on either, but everything is a bit smoother on the G2.

    (3) The back buttons are fantastic, and completely prevent accidental button presses when holding or pocketing the phone.

    (4) I hated the mechanical home button with a passion, and much prefer the soft-keys of the G2. You can even choose which keys are positioned where, to emulate either the Samsung positioning or the Nexus positioning.

    (5) Knock-on, knock-off is great! It means you almost never need to use the mechanical on-off button at all.

    (6) Battery life is *much* better.

    CON:

    (1) The speaker is quieter than the S4.

    As far as the camera, I am not a high-end photographer, and I have been equally satisfied with the S4 and G2 cameras.
    Thanks for this comparison. Right now I'm between the G2 and the X. I think the Note 3 is too big for me.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  22. #22  
    jaime1822's Avatar

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    Thanks for this comparison. Right now I'm between the G2 and the X. I think the Note 3 is too big for me.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    If camera is important to you at all on a phone, then seriously evaluate the X camera before you take the plunge. The camera set up on the X and the rest of the droid line killed it for me. The amount of settings that were taken away from the camera blew my mind. I came to the LG from the RAZR HD.

    Posted via Android Central App on my Big Red LG G2
  23. #23  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    9,185 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,449 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    Thanks for this comparison. Right now I'm between the G2 and the X. I think the Note 3 is too big for me.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    If you're down to those 2 then I'd say the biggest difference is the software experience. Near stock vs LG's skin
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by jaime1822 View Post
    If camera is important to you at all on a phone, then seriously evaluate the X camera before you take the plunge. The camera set up on the X and the rest of the droid line killed it for me. The amount of settings that were taken away from the camera blew my mind. I came to the LG from the RAZR HD.

    Posted via Android Central App on my Big Red LG G2
    I don't care about settings. I just want a camera that takes a good quick picture that I can share. Of the settings on the S4, the only ones I use are night and auto. So I'm not all that worried about it. The quick access on the G2 looks pretty good, though.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  25. #25  
    jaime1822's Avatar

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

    Default Re: Debating on the G2 - Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    I don't care about settings. I just want a camera that takes a good quick picture that I can share. Of the settings on the S4, the only ones I use are night and auto. So I'm not all that worried about it. The quick access on the G2 looks pretty good, though.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    I am really loving the lock screen widget for camera access.

    Posted via Android Central App with my Galaxy Note 10.1
    Has anyone seen my stylus?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Questions- Factory Restore & Block 4.4 update- Thanks
    By spacesurfer75 in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-09-2013, 06:44 PM
  2. What are some common complaints with G2?
    By heading4tomorrow in forum AT&T LG G2
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-04-2013, 09:56 PM
  3. the process of returning the nexus 7?
    By preppystud in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-2013, 04:24 PM
  4. What will 4.4 be like on android with sense 5.5?
    By stepaul8 in forum HTC One M7
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-03-2013, 01:23 AM
  5. Game-Smiley escape The cube invasion-FREE
    By IgorLukic in forum Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-02-2013, 11:05 PM

Posting Permissions