Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Running into a mega-annoying problem with the headphone jack, need help!

So, I'm running into an extremely annoying problem with my G2. Just the slightest touch causes my headphone jack to stop sensing properly.

Example: I'll be listening to Google Music and i'll just ever so slightly move my headphone cable near the base of the 3.5mm headphone plug and suddenly the audio will stop as if I have unplugged my headphones. Yet, my headphones are still snapped in and once I press play again, the music continues on as if nothing has happened.

Some times my phone will go from headphones and speaker...headphones and speaker, headphones and speaker. It's as if it doesn't know my headphones are plugged in.

We are talking super light touching here. Any rotation of the plug while connected will cause it to fail. Simply picking up the phone will cause audio to suddenly stop. I'd be willing to bet that by simply blowing on the damn plug would cause it to fail. Hell, even a fart in the plugs direction would probably cause it to fail. That's how light of a touch I'm talking about here. Also, tapping and rotating the headphone plug while it's plugged in would cause Google Voice search to launch. Super weird.

I don't get whats going on. I see know damage in the headphone input...everything looks fine. I've babied this thing since it has arrived. It has been in a case ever since.

My headphones are good because I've tried them on multiple sources. Plugging in different headphones in to my G2 causes the same problems still. I've tried switching ROMs but the same thing still happens.

I'm at a loss here. I need some advice on what to do. Should I just call Verizon and get a replacement phone? Do I need to unroot to do that?

What a pain in the ***.

Default Re: Running into a mega-annoying problem with the headphone jack, need help!

Could there be some lint or other debris caught in the jack, maybe intermittently interfering with the contact? Try rooting around with a damp toothpick or blowing it out with a can of compressed air.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Running into a mega-annoying problem with the headphone jack, need help!

I've tried

I posted a thread over at reddit.com/r/lgg2 and a couple of people have chimed in with the same exact issue as me. I thought it was much more isolated and rare, but so far some 4 people have said they are experiencing the same issue. However, I can't find anyone saying anything on the popular Android forums. Weird.

Sounds like some kind of loose connection. Do you notice if anything changes if you squeeze the chassis of the phone? Like perhaps it might improve with a squeeze, since some loose contact is being made tighter?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Sounds like some kind of loose connection. Do you notice if anything changes if you squeeze the chassis of the phone? Like perhaps it might improve with a squeeze, since some loose contact is being made tighter?
    Good question. Let me try it out and see.

Okay, so here's what I found and it gets more weird. Tapping the sides during Google Music playback doesn't have an effect. Tapping the top and back of the phone doesn't have an effect. HOWEVER, tapping the lower left part of the phone, right to the left of the LG logo causes the problem to occur and what's really weird about it is that Google Now launches. Even when I squeeze that area. Probably because there is a mic next to the headphone jack. I don't know...weird.

EDIT 2: Squeezing it while playing music and tapping the back of my headphone plug doesn't change anything. Still get the same problem. Jack seems to be completely messed up, but I haven't done anything to cause it.

EDIT: So can confirm that squeezing the lower left area to the right of the LG logo causes the problem. Sometimes it launches Google Now. Sometimes squeezing it causes the speaker phone to kick in and I can hear Google Music playing on it. Seems to be the general area of where the problem is coming from. Tapping that area doesn't seem to be nearly as consistent as squeezing it does.

I'm having the same problem. I tried cleaning out the lint but it seems to be a hardware problem. Still looking for a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by sushiglobster View Post
    Good question. Let me try it out and see.

Okay, so here's what I found and it gets more weird. Tapping the sides during Google Music playback doesn't have an effect. Tapping the top and back of the phone doesn't have an effect. HOWEVER, tapping the lower left part of the phone, right to the left of the LG logo causes the problem to occur and what's really weird about it is that Google Now launches. Even when I squeeze that area. Probably because there is a mic next to the headphone jack. I don't know...weird.

EDIT 2: Squeezing it while playing music and tapping the back of my headphone plug doesn't change anything. Still get the same problem. Jack seems to be completely messed up, but I haven't done anything to cause it.

EDIT: So can confirm that squeezing the lower left area to the right of the LG logo causes the problem. Sometimes it launches Google Now. Sometimes squeezing it causes the speaker phone to kick in and I can hear Google Music playing on it. Seems to be the general area of where the problem is coming from. Tapping that area doesn't seem to be nearly as consistent as squeezing it does.
    How annoying! How old is your G2? I suggest talking to your wireless provider and seeing if they'll give you a replacement due to a defect. Ideally, bring the phone into a store and show them. It would be best if there weren't any obvious scuff marks or other damage to the phone so that they can't blame you for causing the problem. If they won't help, then contact LG support: LG Direct Service by | LG USA

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Dreyer View Post
    I'm having the same problem. I tried cleaning out the lint but it seems to be a hardware problem. Still looking for a solution.
    Welcome to Android Central! Same suggestions for you as well.

Hey I may have a solution that I was having exact same problem as you.. found my solution on LGG2 forum... the solution is that the male plug on my headphone jack was not pushed in far enough... please try it.. push the plug in all the way then just a bit more of a push til you hear a click.. then its in all the way.. solved my problem.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

This is not a "wierd" problem because from what I'm hearing it's obvious to me knowing a little about electronics that you have a faulty female headphone connecter. When you have your headphone jack plugged in and wiggle the jack it creates a on/off switching function in the phone that activates or affects any associated phone calling functions or music apps in your case Google music. If I were you I would call up Verizon tell them what the issue is and there is not much trouble shooting they'll be able to walk you through over the phone so if your one year manufacturers is still in effect which I believe it is since the G2 hasn't been out for a year yet right? Or if you have the Verizon protection plan they should be able to ship a replacement G2 super fast. In the past I've actually had a similar issue with my HTC Thunderbolt and they shipped me a replacement the very next day. Don't try and trouble shoot your phone anymore this will just drive you into more and more frustration. Oh, and if you have "rooted" your phone try and put it back to the original stock setting or else Verizon and or LG will detect this not honor you a free replacement G2. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

I've had same problem

Posted via Android Central App

Same problem on two different phones in a little more than two months. Waiting on my third.

Quote Originally Posted by st_pinetree View Post
    Same problem on two different phones in a little more than two months. Waiting on my third.
    Same here.

I got my first phone replaced by Verizon and my current phone developed the same problem.

I used to have the same "problem." Just push in the male piece harder than you think you have too. It will snap in. Trust me. Just try it. Push it in harder. Your male piece will almost be flush with the phone. Try it. Your problem will be solved. Promise

The headphone jack stopped cooperating on my Droid 1 years ago. I bought a set of Sony bluetooth earbuds and am still using the same today with my G2.

Sony HBHIS800Z Ericsson Bt Headset

Seriously... it's called Bluetooth. I haven't corded in years. And you don't have to pay an outrageous sum. I own a pair called Joggerz that are outstanfing and paid $25 for on Amazon.

Tall Whitemail likes this.

The headphone jack has to be pushed ** ALL THE WAY IN **, (push HARDER than you would think is prudent, until there is a FIRM CLICK.
    i.e. so that NONE of the metal part of the headphone jack is showing.

This worked for me. What a relief....I've got my music back.

- Phil

I'm having the same issue. And have literally pushed with both hands to get the Jack to pop into place....it doesn't work.

What a pitty I was hoping to get a phone that didn't have to make me deal with constant Verizon Refurbs that are junk.

I am having the exact same problem. Exactly as you describe. I have an LG3 new, mint condition, never dropped, and always encased.
    The plug is bad, OK Google has been turned off in all places including my Google profile disallows voice search, yet it still comes on when I try to get the plug to work, stopping my music! So frustrating.
    My plan is through Fido, it has nothing to do with the provider, its the cell.
    I have found no solution yet, and am in the early stages of researching this.
    Help?