1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New screen issues

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday my phone began acting very strange, it has started to just turn the screen off at random when I'm using it generally happens when I wake the phone and try to swipe to unlock, not security unlock just unlock from waking, or on the home screen. sometimes I swipe down for notification bar then go to select an item, as I'm clicking the screen turns off, or after a phone call when I bring the phone from my ear the screen doesn't turn on even using the power button, the phone is accepting input from the buttons because I hear the sound of the volume reaching max for example but the screen just doesn't turn on, even tried plugging it in to charger to see if it would turn on then but doesn't. I tried restarting the phone, uninstalling apps installed over last 2-3 days even though this only started happening yesterday. Tried changing the knock on and smart stay settings as well as the time before screen auto turns off, after each setting change it seemed to get better but then reverted to the strange behavior.

I think it might be from an app that got auto updated but I don't even check which apps get updated, just swipe the notification away. I would rather not have to do a hard reset but its getting to the point that I may not have a choice.

Would love to hear if anyone else is having these issues?

Thanks

Default Re: New screen issues

Try booting into Safe Mode to confirm if the problem is a 3rd party app vs an inherent system or hardware problem:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for this didn't know there was such a thing, pretty cool. Unfortunately looks like its not 3rd party app as the screen just shut down while i was trying to swipe to different homescreen pane in safe mode. that sucks, maybe i'll go to vzw and demand a new phone, the knock-on was working really poorly on this one before and some people said they exchanged theres and it performed better. just hate setting up a new phone.

Yes, sounds like a hardware problem. Almost sounds like the proximity sensor is malfunctioning.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

^^ That's exactly the problem. If you have a screen protector, try trimming it away from around the notification LED's, where this sensor is located. I can duplicate the issue by putting my finger over the sensor and trying to turn on my screen.

The thing is, though, that the proximity sensor should only be triggered when you make a call. It shouldn't blank the screen otherwise. The light sensor might dim your screen if you block it, but the screen should only dim, not completely black out.

I think it's a glitch. I'm experiencing similar behavior. If I hit the power button to wake the device but before I can swipe to unlock, the screen turns off. Normally, it takes 3 or 4 tries before I can get the screen to stay on for me to unlock it. The problem is irregular. No auto updates on apps so I don't think that's the issue. The same thing would happen on my black G2 as well, when I had that.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Ye I was thinking its the proximity sensor as well, don't have a screen protector so tried wiping it very carefully but realized that wasn't doing it, though I wouldn't imagine the proximity sensor would override the power button to the point where the screen doesn't turn on at all like sometimes happens. Yes adawg it is random, sometimes the phone stays on for a long period other times it takes me multiple tries to unlock it, annoying as that is, the worst is when the screen doesn't turn on at all using the power button, had an actual issue yesterday when I called a friend and it went to vm which I didn't want to leave but couldn't turn the screen on to hit end and had to hold power until it reset, ended up leaving a short blank message, it is extremely irritating.

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

Today I just started to experience the same issues ,I try to swipe the notification bar & it comes down a little but just goes right back up ... this goes along with the other screen issues such as erratic scrolling & I have lost knock on all together , it will knock off but I can't for the life of me get it to knock on...

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

I figured out my screen issues , I have a dead spot on my screen so when I swipe the notification bar down it only swipes to the dead spot & goes back up... looks like I'll be visiting a Verizon store soon

Posted via Android Central App

I'm having the same problem as the OP. The screen likes to turn off just after being woken up. It doesn't happen every time, but when it does, it takes several attempts to get it to stay awake. I also have the issue where the phone doesn't want to wake up when I move the phone away from my face after a call. Did everyone just return their phones or is this something software/firmware can solve?

Global Posts
    324 Global Posts

You know if there is a shadow or it detects your hand or something else over the sensor it will turn the screen right back off. Check your hand placement when unlocking. You can test this by putting the top of the phone under a counter shadow or something and try tapping it on. It will turn right back off. I think this is an in pocket feature etc.