Verizon LG G2 - Exchange email issues after update

ASHDUMP

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I would switch to Touchdown if Verizon would pay for the app! Get a fix!

Its funny what some peoples perception is of "Push" email. The Verizon tech just responded to me on their forum saying its not an issues and wants me to hard resent my phone. I'd love to see what the people on the other end of the computer look like and how much they actually know about this stuff....

Brian Crail

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm due for a new phone on 2/6 and was planning on getting the G2 - but if I can't rely on Exchange Push emails, I don't want one.

The G2 does emails fine but not with the latest update 12B. There are 2 updates currently. I've found it works great on LTE but not Wifi. When I'm connected via Wifi, my corporate email won't auto update.

Also there is no way to download the whole email. In settings there is "Heading only" so I have to manually load each body. Kind of annoying sometimes and I can see times where this will be a problem.

This is a bug with 12B update as its been fine prior. Its only on the Verizon model too, so its something with the Verizon modifications.

RadioZero

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
The G2 does emails fine but not with the latest update 12B. There are 2 updates currently. I've found it works great on LTE but not Wifi. When I'm connected via Wifi, my corporate email won't auto update.

Also there is no way to download the whole email. In settings there is "Heading only" so I have to manually load each body. Kind of annoying sometimes and I can see times where this will be a problem.

This is a bug with 12B update as its been fine prior. Its only on the Verizon model too, so its something with the Verizon modifications.

in General Mail settings you can set the amount of lines to be seen, "Email Preview"

within the particular email account settings (your exchange account or whichever email account) you can set the "Message Size Limit"

roscko

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Ugh, and yet, another "me too" post for me....

This is the second bug I've discovered with this phone in as many days I've own it. Really trying to like this phone, but LG is making it hard.

jason_L75

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
What other bug did you discover? Here's what I've noticed besides the email. The phone gets quirky when sending group MMS. The camera is over rated. The pics I get are usually blurry. Kind of miss my S3. Maybe it's just the fact I need to manually check work email every 15 minutes to do my job that just has me turned off to the phone. Hope the kit kat update makes improvements.

roscko

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
The other bug was with new mail in mail causing the phone to vibrate even when vibration notification was disabled in the Gmail app settings. It would happen only when the phone was on silent and when sound notification was enabled. The thread to that is here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...n-vibration-email-but-keep-sms-vibration.html

My work aaround to that is just to disable all notification in the Gmail app...

Also for some reason, the notification light would flash white at random times even when I have no new notification.

LG G2

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Im kind of a noob but with this issue everyone is having is it giving you a "Gmail need authentication" message? Thats what i get and when i go to settings and re-type my password it works but deletes one of my primary e-mail accounts that is connected to the stock app. I love the phone but the e-mail issues make me want to not use the e-mail feature

anon6002755

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Im kind of a noob but with this issue everyone is having is it giving you a "Gmail need authentication" message? Thats what i get and when i go to settings and re-type my password it works but deletes one of my primary e-mail accounts that is connected to the stock app. I love the phone but the e-mail issues make me want to not use the e-mail feature

nope. thats not the issue. The LG email client and not gmail just stops updating but will not give any error message or anything of the sort. it just stops pushing mail and the only way to get email to update is to manually go in and refresh.

3snakes

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Just so you know, this problem doesn't affect everyone. I've never had a problem using Exchange (or Gmail) on my G2 using WI-FI and cellular. It has all available updates and is not rooted. I've had it since November (until which I used a Palm Pre-2). It's a VS98011A running Android 4.2.2. The standard email program is set to check mail every 15 minutes in both Exchange and Gmail. I don't really know if I'm using "push". Maybe the phone has to poll every 15 minutes. Exchange has zillions of settings. I'm guessing a setting in Exchange would fix problems like this though I don't really know. My company has many different smartphone makes, models, and ages using Exchange (2012 I believe) without issues. My contacts and calendar also sync fine with Exchange and Gmail.

somnambulator

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just so you know, this problem doesn't affect everyone. I've never had a problem using Exchange (or Gmail) on my G2 using WI-FI and cellular. It has all available updates and is not rooted. I've had it since November (until which I used a Palm Pre-2). It's a VS98011A running Android 4.2.2. The standard email program is set to check mail every 15 minutes in both Exchange and Gmail. I don't really know if I'm using "push". Maybe the phone has to poll every 15 minutes.
1- I don't believe you're running the 12B update
2- 15 minute sync means you're not using push

either of those settings means u aren't affected at all.

fwiw I've been using touchdown for years. it's by far the best mobile email experience available and has a TON of settings like quiet times, remote touchdown app wipe, and tasks support. if you depend on email to do your job and get dozens of emails per day than u need touchdown. it makes life better.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

JQFreed

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Same boat here. And every time I make any changes to the email client I have to put in a helpdesk ticket because my IT team wont provide the information. Therefore pretty sure Touchdown is not an option for me (although it's my phone, they're pretty strict about how you access their servers). Just piling on this thread in hopes we get some tech support because I haven't even seen evidence they're looking into it yet. This was exactly why I was hesitant to get an LG.

wwwjr

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Same boat here. And every time I make any changes to the email client I have to put in a helpdesk ticket because my IT team wont provide the information. Therefore pretty sure Touchdown is not an option for me (although it's my phone, they're pretty strict about how you access their servers). Just piling on this thread in hopes we get some tech support because I haven't even seen evidence they're looking into it yet. This was exactly why I was hesitant to get an LG.

Touchdown will still comply with the same security and secure access needs for Exchange. It's just a client other than the stock client. And honestly, since I have switched to Touchdown, I enjoy the experience so much more than any other stock clients I have used previously(HTC, LG, Samsung and Samsung Nexus). And maybe a little advice... Save your exchange settings somewhere, once you have them, they should not change and you shouldn't need a ticket every time you are setting up your mobile client, no matter what OS or client you use.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Good ol' AC. Have been dealing with this issue for a week, and had been blaming my company for it (should've known to check here.) My company requires us to change passwords every 90 days. I did not experience any problems with my Exchange email (the only one I use the native client for) until after I changed the password; then it just stopped working altogether. The coincidence of the timing - in addition to past issues on a prior smartphone - led me to assume it was an issue with our company's email servers. But, when they couldn't solve the problem, I began searching online and found this thread. I've tried all the usual tricks - including nearly all those mentioned in the very long thread over at Verizon Communities; still no love. As of yesterday, I began using Touchdown for now (complies with my company's security requirements), but it is far less than ideal, and I'm not happy that I'll have to start paying for it if this issue isn't resolved in 30 days. I'm mostly pissed because this update was apparently pushed to my phone without my consent. I never install updates until I've researched them, and certainly would not have installed this one. It's completely hobbled my phone for business use. Anyway, I'll keep my eye on this thread and the one over at VZW and hope for a fix sooner rather than later. Either that, or release KitKat, though I understand it has its own issues. *sigh*

Last edited:

anon6002755

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Save your exchange settings somewhere

Save them even if its on a piece of paper. I have taken the setting and used them on iPhones android phones to include a multitude of different email apps and now on my Lumia Icon. That ticket nonsense is to scare away those who aren't confident in their tech abilities. Unless of course they use certificates.

miamc

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Had terrible problems with stock email not pushing. Got it at best to sync at 5 minute intervals by going into system settings, accounts and sync then checking the top box named Auto sync data. When checked i went back to email settings and was able to choose 5 minute instead of doing it manually, which is a pain if you forget and are late receiving anything important.
Hope this helps some of you out.

Posted via Android Central App

anon6002755

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
and with this update Email seems to be functioning properly again. we only had to wait 4 months to get what was originally working well in the phone. albeit that even outlook.com email syncs with html now which it wouldn't previously.