Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
12-26-2013 04:03 PM
2 replies
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

Default Verizon LG G2 - Is there a way to turn off auto volume reduction?

I posted this in the general G2 section, but should have posted it here since I have a Verizon LG G2, sorry.

I don't use headphones much, but I do listen to music and podcasts in my car a lot.

Whenever I plug in the cord to the speaker output jack (my car doesn't have bluetooth), it reduces the volume to protect my ears.

I don't need to protect my hearing (under these circumstances), and every time I plug in I have to turn up the volume to full to hear it properly.

Is there any way to turn off this auto-ear-protect volume reduction?

Thanks.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

Default Re: Verizon LG G2 - Is there a way to turn off auto volume reduction?

To answer my own question, I found an app called Hearing Saver and does exactly what I need.

Sent from my LG G2 with Tapatalk
    deep_groove likes this.

Default Re: Verizon LG G2 - Is there a way to turn off auto volume reduction?

Hearing Saver does not solve the problem, though.

I listen to podcasts 99% of the time. Podcasts are usually recorded at low volume - so you have to turn the volume higher to actually listen.

1] The volume check shouldn't happen

2] Even if the volume position is not loud, LG implemented the volume turnoff when you put the phone in your pocket. This happens to me if I attempt to listen while traveling to work on the subway.

Turning off the music app just because the light sensor shows darkness is simply incorrect coding - you should always be able to listen, period.

3] It's not actually a volume check.. it actually kicks out the headphones which are physically plugged into the phone. Then, VolumeSaver restores the volume at the prior level. But VLC Player is the only audio app which resumes playback at this point ... the others all stop, including spotify/pandora.

4] Google embedded a call to Google Voice within the code for the volume check.. as the "final" code to decrease the volume after a certain number of times decreasing it as in #1 and 2 above.
    Why? Who knows, it's 100% incorrect and should be removed.

The volume check of a Neil deGrasse Tyson podcast ends up functioning like this, with hearing saver:

"Volume check" automatically kicks out/recognizes the headphones
    VolumeSaver restores the volume
    VLCPlayer resumes playing
    Random time generator between checks
    "Volume check" kicks out the headphones again.

After about 20 min of this, Google Voice begins to be fired.

Google Voice requires you to hit the stupid circle in the upper right.. or else a 75% volume decrease will happen, until you turn off the audio app.

It's all nonsense, and should be removed.