Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bosscib
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Difference between Global and LTE/CDMA?

Does anyone know the difference between these two?

this setting is under Mobile networks -> system select

By default mine was set to Global. I changed it to LTE/CDMA, but should I have left it on global? Which gives better connection? Which does better 4G to 3G switching?

Global Posts
    2,693 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Default Re: Difference between Global and LTE/CDMA?

Quote Originally Posted by denarok View Post
    Does anyone know the difference between these two?

this setting is under Mobile networks -> system select

By default mine was set to Global. I changed it to LTE/CDMA, but should I have left it on global? Which gives better connection? Which does better 4G to 3G switching?
    If you are in the U.S I recommend sticking with LTE/CDMA.

If you travel alot to different countries, I recommend staying with Global.
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    If you are in the U.S I recommend sticking with LTE/CDMA.

If you travel alot to different countries, I recommend staying with Global.
    I have never been outside the US my entire life, and doubt I will travel much never know so I guess will leave it on LTE/CDMA

by the way has anyone figured out a way to force it to use 3G only? This way if you travelling in a fringe area and know it will switch a lot I bet will save battery then trying to find a signal? I use to do that with my old gnexus.

The other G2 variants have that option right there under mobile settings but for some reason verizon will not give you that option, not sure why.

Thanks

I'm in Ohio and on Verizon. For some reason, MMS sends faster when I have it set to global instead of cdma. Not sure why, but it does.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    2,693 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Jones View Post
    I'm in Ohio and on Verizon. For some reason, MMS sends faster when I have it set to global instead of cdma. Not sure why, but it does.

Either one works fine, global is better if you roam a lot.
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

I have never been outside the US my entire life, and doubt I will travel much never know so I guess will leave it on LTE/CDMA

by the way has anyone figured out a way to force it to use 3G only? This way if you travelling in a fringe area and know it will switch a lot I bet will save battery then trying to find a signal? I use to do that with my old gnexus.

The other G2 variants have that option right there under mobile settings but for some reason verizon will not give you that option, not sure why.

Thanks
    No need with the Snapdragon 800...

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by dgcamero View Post
    No need with the Snapdragon 800...

oh really? I had no idea the CPU made a huge difference in terms of 3g/4g switching? I guess I will find out this week when I do some travelling.

Global Posts
    2,693 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

oh really? I had no idea the CPU made a huge difference in terms of 3g/4g switching? I guess I will find out this week when I do some travelling.
    The phone will automatically detect when 3g and 4g is available. By design I believe 4g will be automatically picked over 3g.

Seems like when my phone loses 4G it is hard to find back. If I reboot it will usually find it again.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by niekamdt View Post
    Seems like when my phone loses 4G it is hard to find back. If I reboot it will usually find it again.

That did happen to me today, what I did instead of rebooting was switch from LTE/CDMA, to GLOBAL, then back to LTE/CDMA and found 4G, I guess that resets radio instead of rebooting

global is for other countries and for the united states GSM carriers like if you put a At&t sim or Straight Talk sim in the phone after setting up your APN settings you will have voice text and data via HSPA+(4g) or a t-mobile sim you will have voice text and data via their EDGE (2g) network unless your in a reframed 4g area of t-mobile then you will also have HSPA+ also if you want to lock your phone to 3g only you can use this app open the app scroll to the bottom click additional info then phone information then scroll to the middle of the page and in the drop down box click on CDMA auto (PRL) you can also lock it to lte only by clicking lte only but you cant make or receive calls only send and receive texts hope this helps

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brian7751 View Post
    global is for other countries and for the united states GSM carriers...
    'Global' was the default on my domestic, Verizon-issued (and SIMed) G2. As I read the OP, this appears to be the case on all of them. Given your statement, why? Oversight?

im trying to be as helpful as possible

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brian7751 View Post
    global is for other countries and for the united states GSM carriers like if you put a At&t sim or Straight Talk sim in the phone after setting up your APN settings you will have voice text and data via HSPA+(4g) or a t-mobile sim you will have voice text and data via their EDGE (2g) network unless your in a reframed 4g area of t-mobile then you will also have HSPA+ also if you want to lock your phone to 3g only you can use this app open the app scroll to the bottom click additional info then phone information then scroll to the middle of the page and in the drop down box click on CDMA auto (PRL) you can also lock it to lte only by clicking lte only but you cant make or receive calls only send and receive texts hope this helps
    I've tried multiple apps that are supposed to allow you to switch to CDMA (3G) only, but none of them work with the Verizon G2. With this app you referenced, clicking on Phone Information generates a Note "This application does not work on this device."
    Tyler510 likes this.

ok i wasnt sure i dont have the g2 but i had the note 3 and i have the droid maxx and it worked on both of the phones so i only guessed that it would also work with the g2 im sorry if the app wasnt compatible its a great app i heard that the g2 has a hidden menu you can get to via the dial pad but im not sure if there is a way to get it to lock to 3g from it.

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

No worries thanks for the suggestion. I don't believe the hidden menu has the 3G option available either. I have a Verizon network extender and typically only get 1 bar of 4G, so locking on 3G always worked with my S3. Haven't been able to do this with the G2 yet so I disconnected the network extender.
    Thanked by:

ok sorry i wasnt able to help though hopefully someone will be able to find out something or maybe the app will get updated to where it will work on the g2.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    The phone will automatically detect when 3g and 4g is available. By design I believe 4g will be automatically picked over 3g.
    What if I want to use 3G or 1X for less battery consumption? Or is the difference between 1X, 3G and 4G negligible?

Global Posts
    2,693 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler510 View Post
    What if I want to use 3G or 1X for less battery consumption? Or is the difference between 1X, 3G and 4G negligible?
    No difference in battery life.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Thanked by: