G2 shuts down and will not power back up by power button alone

jlmorris

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Been loving this phone, but my wife had an issue with her G2 and now I just had the same happen to mine. This happened to her phone a couple weeks ago and I went through the same thing on mine last night.

Phones are both stock, purchased at different times. I updated mine to the latest VZW update (VS98012B) a couple weeks ago, I haven't had a chance to check if my wife's is updated or not.

The behavior was the same when this happened to our phones except for these circumstances when it happened:

For my wife, she was staying a couple hours away from me getting ready for our family Christmas there and this frustrated her as they were also dealing with the ice storm there at the time:
  • Phone was not plugged in to the USB cable but the battery was also not close to being "dead".
  • The phone was just sitting on the table when she noticed it reboot and a short time later saw it was off.
  • She could not power it back on by holding the power button.
  • She let it sit until the next day and saw that it was on and was functioning normally.
I was going to show up the day after it started working again and take her to a VZW store near there but since it was working fine, decided I'd wait until we returned home. I'm not sure if they would be able to figure anything out anyway if it was working fine.

For me, I was watching Sunday Night Football via NFL Mobile (brightness set at 50%, phone plugged in with the OEM charger/cable):
  • The phone rebooted by itself after an hour or so
  • After it rebooted, I felt the display and the back of the phone and it felt warm, but what I considered normal.
  • Went back in to the NFL Mobile and began streaming again. Not too long after, the phone just shut off.
  • Felt the phone display and back again and it felt warm, but seemed normal.
  • I could not get it to turn back on by holding the power button so I started fiddling with different combinations of buttons.
  • When I held both the power button and the up arrow, it vibrated and then showed a screen that said "Firmware Update" at the top and "Do not unplug the USB connection until the process is complete" at the bottom with a status bar sitting at 0%.
  • I couldn't figure out how to get out of this screen until I googled and found a post in XDA forums to just hold the power button for up to 15 seconds and it should do something. I did that and it shut off.
  • I was then able to power it up with the power button after that happened.

So two different G2 phones, same type of thing happened to both. Very odd. I am guessing no one has had this issue since I am not finding it on the forum (or not searching for the right phrase).

If it was just hers this happened to, I would have thought it might be defective. But now that it also happened to mine, I'm a bit flummoxed. Any thoughts?

atorrens

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Oh no. You are not alone. I am so dissapointed with the LG G2. Until the random power down and locked off issue appeared I was only dissapointed with the lack of an micro sim slot and the camera lag. In low light and back light sirtuations the camera lights up subjects by holding on the flash LED. So the subjects squint while the camera gets its exposure readings and then flashes and takes the shot. Result = 99% of the shots I have of my kids and also any adults are plagued with squinty flash glare. then the auto power down started! So you are oblivious, thinking your phone is on (e.g. to receive inbound buisness calls, etc, etc). Then you finally realise that the phone has auto powered down (and not due to low battery). Then of course starts the quandry of when did it happen? How long ago? Then, yes, how do I get it to turn back on (as the power button does not respond)? So after you overcome that.... you are not out of the woods. It happens at least once per month on my LG G2, sometime more. I have never had this with a Samsung Galaxy! So unimpressed with the Lg G2. I want to send mine back and get an S4 that I can trust not to power down randomly!

AZDroid

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I guess I would be frustrated too if I had these issues, but your experiences are definitely not the norm. I'm sure a few random Samsung Galaxy owners have had bizarre issues too.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15