Verizon G2: What DON'T you like about this phone?

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm leaning HTC One because of the speakers and availability of leather slipcases, but still considering the G2. I've messed with it a few times in stores. The screen is great and bigger than the One, battery life great, camera great. So you who have had it awhile what are some CONS? Thanks, great forum here.

Last edited by a moderator:

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: What DON'T you like about this phone?

Camera is a little slow to focus. Other than that issue I love the phone! Since Verizon pushed the 12B update I've had no issues at all.

Posted via Android Central App

user242

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

When I want to quickly adjust the volume control I find it a little tedious especially if I don't have the phone in my hand already. Other than that I'm very pleased with the phone.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

scottcraft

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

The camera is a bit slow to focus, the autobrightness acts funny sometimes and reception isn't quite as good as I expected. Other than these things I love this phone. Beautiful screen, great battery and fast performance!

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

I just picked one up and had some questions, too. You guys that don't like the auto focus on the camera, can you tap on the screen to get it to focus? Or do you have to wait for it to focus itself? What about videos...any issues there? Also, what is the vast majority of users' opinions of the back buttons? I'm shelving my X for a couple weeks to test this thing out, so hopefully I'll like it. Thanks!

scottcraft

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

I just picked one up and had some questions, too. You guys that don't like the auto focus on the camera, can you tap on the screen to get it to focus? Or do you have to wait for it to focus itself? What about videos...any issues there? Also, what is the vast majority of users' opinions of the back buttons? I'm shelving my X for a couple weeks to test this thing out, so hopefully I'll like it. Thanks!

Yes you can tap on the screen to focus, it just takes a bit for the phone to focus like that. I haven't taken many videos with mine so I can't really comment on that. The rear buttons are ok. I'm getting used to them, but they aren't as easy for me as side buttons. I do like that when someone else looks at my phone I don't have to worry about them hitting a button by accident.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Yes you can tap on the screen to focus, it just takes a bit for the phone to focus like that. I haven't taken many videos with mine so I can't really comment on that. The rear buttons are ok. I'm getting used to them, but they aren't as easy for me as side buttons. I do like that when someone else looks at my phone I don't have to worry about them hitting a button by accident.

The thing that kept me from this phone for so long is the button placement. I'm still not stoked but them, but I'm going to give it a shot. I hope the camera overall is good, at least better than the X. I take so many pics of my daughter that I just don't know if I can use the X for the long haul. I love the phone otherwise.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

The thing that kept me from this phone for so long is the button placement. I'm still not stoked but them, but I'm going to give it a shot. I hope the camera overall is good, at least better than the X. I take so many pics of my daughter that I just don't know if I can use the X for the long haul. I love the phone otherwise.

The buttons on the Verizon version are poorly designed, but you don't really have to use the back buttons much. Knock on/off and universal touch (volume) are simple solutions to button placement issue.

Sent from my rooted LG-G2 using Tapatalk

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

The buttons on the Verizon version are poorly designed, but you don't really have to use the back buttons much. Knock on/off and universal touch (volume) are simple solutions to button placement issue.

Is universal touch an app? Or something in the phone?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

What is it? I've actually never heard of it.

When it's enabled you get a transparent universal touch icon that can be moved. Press the icon and a box pops up with volume, power and home buttons. I use it to adjust the volume when using a car mount or listening to music.

scottcraft

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

When it's enabled you get a transparent universal touch icon that can be moved. Press the icon and a box pops up with volume, power and home buttons. I use it to adjust the volume when using a car mount or listening to music.

I didn't know that, thanks!

sofryj

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

This has been a great phone, but nothing is perfect. There are random times when typing on my G2 goes a bit wonkey. I'll hit a letter and it will type like 7 of them. Usually just backing out of an app and going back in will fix it. It also doesn't happen all that often....just at random times. The camera focus and speed is also a bit disappointing. I haven't had any of the other issues I hear people talk about though. My reception has always been fantastic, battery life is consistently the best I've ever had, and I have had no issue with the back buttons since I have a ballistic case that makes them very easy to feel. I personally love the back buttons. My stumpy hands always had issues with side buttons on today's larger phones.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

This has been a great phone, but nothing is perfect. There are random times when typing on my G2 goes a bit wonkey. I'll hit a letter and it will type like 7 of them. Usually just backing out of an app and going back in will fix it. It also doesn't happen all that often....just at random times. The camera focus and speed is also a bit disappointing. I haven't had any of the other issues I hear people talk about though. My reception has always been fantastic, battery life is consistently the best I've ever had, and I have had no issue with the back buttons since I have a ballistic case that makes them very easy to feel. I personally love the back buttons. My stumpy hands always had issues with side buttons on today's larger phones.

So the camera is slow to focus and take a picture? Can you explain a little more about the camera to me? That was one of the reasons I was leaving the X for this phone. The lackluster camera on the X just wasn't working for me and my daughter.

sofryj

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

So the camera is slow to focus and take a picture? Can you explain a little more about the camera to me? That was one of the reasons I was leaving the X for this phone. The lackluster camera on the X just wasn't working for me and my daughter.

I actually have to recant a little bit.....I received a update this morning (12B i think) that seems to have greatly improved the camera app and speed. It also seems to have fixed the touch screen issues I described, according to others who have downloaded the same update.

nhinrichs

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

I am a system administrator at my company. I have about 40+ people using Verizon smartphones. I can say however that this is the generally as flawless a phone as I have ever dealt with. If there is a flaw it may be Verizon's button arrangement on the back of the device. I have played with the sprint version and the buttons and their placement is easier to feel without looking than the Verizon version. However the Verizon version has wireless charging a nice feature. The lack of having the Verizon spotlight on the device is another issue but hardly a problem with the phone itself.

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Camera focus bothers me but I haven't installed the update yet as I wanted to see what the changes were. The speaker doesn't do a great job for voice navigation. I used to be able to leave my old phone in the center cup holder and it was loud and clear. Now I have to hold it so the speaker is clearly facing me.

But I still really love this phone. Came from a Charge.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

I also take it that Verizon removed the volume slider from the notification shade?