Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default My G2 is Discriminatory against left-handed people

    So I have been having constant complaints from people saying I sound "muffled" randomly while we talk. Then, one day while driving, I switched the hand I used to hold the phone against my ear and suddenly the person I was speaking to said that they could hear me much better! All I did was switch it from my left ear to my right ear.

    I know what you're thinking, I'm crazy. Well, I tried this three separate times and each time the "muffled" sound disappeared when I switched from my left ear to my right ear.

    Am I really crazy or is this really a strange and random "bug" that I found? Does anyone else get complaints about sounding muffled?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: My G2 is Discriminatory against left-handed people

    I hold mine in my left hand to talk and I haven't had anyone complain about how I sound.
  3. #3  
    STARGATE's Avatar

    Posts
    6,068 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,397 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

    Default Re: My G2 is Discriminatory against left-handed people

    Who knows?
    What if the gyroscope or something else is not working properly?

    Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: My G2 is Discriminatory against left-handed people

    Depending on the way you hold it, the mic may be closer to or further from your mouth, hence the perceived sound difference.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dazedniteman View Post
    So I have been having constant complaints from people saying I sound "muffled" randomly while we talk. Then, one day while driving, I switched the hand I used to hold the phone against my ear and suddenly the person I was speaking to said that they could hear me much better! All I did was switch it from my left ear to my right ear.

    I know what you're thinking, I'm crazy. Well, I tried this three separate times and each time the "muffled" sound disappeared when I switched from my left ear to my right ear.

    Am I really crazy or is this really a strange and random "bug" that I found? Does anyone else get complaints about sounding muffled?
    Err, I don't think a bug like this would be possible. Maybe the way you hold it in your left hand vs your right hand is different and you cover the mic when it's on the right

    Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  6. #6  
    Ace4's Avatar

    Posts
    106 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

    Default Re: My G2 is Discriminatory against left-handed people

    The bottom mic is towards the left side of the phone, so it is possible that the way you are holding your phone puts it in a suboptimal location relative to your mouth. If you have "enhanced voice privacy" enabled, you may be covering up the top mic when holding it left-handed and that is messing up the sound.
    Thanked by 2:
  7. #7  
    STARGATE's Avatar

    Posts
    6,068 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,397 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

    Default Re: My G2 is Discriminatory against left-handed people

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
    The bottom mic is towards the left side of the phone, so it is possible that the way you are holding your phone puts it in a suboptimal location relative to your mouth. If you have "enhanced voice privacy" enabled, you may be covering up the top mic when holding it left-handed and that is messing up the sound.
    This👆

    Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
  8. #8  
    alcor34's Avatar

    Posts
    344 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

    Default Re: My G2 is Discriminatory against left-handed people

    Quote Originally Posted by dazedniteman View Post
    So I have been having constant complaints from people saying I sound "muffled" randomly while we talk. Then, one day while driving, I switched the hand I used to hold the phone against my ear and suddenly the person I was speaking to said that they could hear me much better! All I did was switch it from my left ear to my right ear.

    I know what you're thinking, I'm crazy. Well, I tried this three separate times and each time the "muffled" sound disappeared when I switched from my left ear to my right ear.

    Am I really crazy or is this really a strange and random "bug" that I found? Does anyone else get complaints about sounding muffled?
    Yeah, I think you might just be covering the mic and not realizing it. I use my left hand to do mostly everything related to using my phone and I have never had any impaired functionality.
    Thanked by:
  9. #9  
    STARGATE's Avatar

    Posts
    6,068 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,397 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

    Default Re: My G2 is Discriminatory against left-handed people

    I tested my friend's G2 yesterday and tried to replicate your issue to no avail. As far as the person on the other side I sounded just the same when I called with the G2 on my right side and then when I called with the phone on my left side.

    Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
    Thanked by:
  10. #10  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: My G2 is Discriminatory against left-handed people

    Alright guys I think he gets it now XD

    Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  11. #11  
    STARGATE's Avatar

    Posts
    6,068 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,397 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

    Default Re: My G2 is Discriminatory against left-handed people

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Alright guys I think he gets it now XD

    Posted via Android Central App
    I'm not sure, we're trying to help. I even used my friend's G2 to test it!
    But the OP hasn't responded to any posts. Maybe help isn't needed anymore? :what:

    Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: My G2 is Discriminatory against left-handed people

    Sorry, haven't checked this thread in awhile. I was actually being serious (as crazy as it is). I am still getting complaints when I use it against my left ear. I am not covering any mics or anything. I doubt that orientation has anything to do with sound quality, but that is, so far, the only thing that I have found that brings about a change in sound quality.

    Thanks for trying it out. I guess I am just nuts.
  13. #13  
    STARGATE's Avatar

    Posts
    6,068 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,397 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

    Default Re: My G2 is Discriminatory against left-handed people

    Quote Originally Posted by dazedniteman View Post
    Sorry, haven't checked this thread in awhile. I was actually being serious (as crazy as it is). I am still getting complaints when I use it against my left ear. I am not covering any mics or anything. I doubt that orientation has anything to do with sound quality, but that is, so far, the only thing that I have found that brings about a change in sound quality.

    Thanks for trying it out. I guess I am just nuts.
    Dang, that sucks. Have you talked to LG about it?

    Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Similar Threads

  1. Galaxy S4: People can't hear me
    By Amazonnia in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-23-2014, 11:28 AM
  2. Hands-free Mode not working correctly
    By israel5579 in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2014, 10:52 AM
  3. S Voice stops functioning in hands free mode
    By pjproby in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-10-2014, 11:30 AM
  4. Verizon Galaxy S3 - People can't hear me
    By Yankeefan973 in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2014, 02:48 PM
  5. Note 10.1 2014 - Adjust the height of hand writing area
    By ChengYeng L in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2014, 09:28 PM

Posting Permissions