Hello Fellow G2 Users

dstackmasta27

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I'll do an abbreviated intro here, just to keep you all from having to read my initial post.

I am a newer reconvert back to Android. My first experience with it was 1.6 and then 2.3. After that I moved on to an iPhone 4S (iOS 5 through 7), but the changes Apple has made throughout the last few years have made me start to fall out of love with the software. The 4S hardware itself, although it was underpowered from the market perspective was a very solid phone throughout the two years I owned and used it. The long form short, since I was moving carriers and am not all that impressed with iOS 7 I decided to give Android another try. There have been a number of growing pains, but I really like the phone--but I am starting to get nervous because there are a few things that I don't like and haven't been able to figure out how to fix yet. I have until this Wednesday to return the G2 to Verizon for a $35 restock fee to go back to the "apple mothership" but I want to give this a little more effort before I throw in the towel.

I posted the following in my introduction post, and haven't gotten anything to help with the few remaining issues. Can you all help me out a bit, or at least tell me if the things I want to accomplish are even possible? I was able to find a good way to toggle my phone to silent thanks to the recommendation of the Power Toggles app, but there are still a few other things that are bugging me.

In short order here are the things that are making me want to take the G2 back for the iPhone. They are loosely listed in order of frustration and how much it matters to me overall:

- Visual voicemail doesn't work as it should with Google voice. Apparently Verizon is money hungry (like we already know) and makes getting it completely functional a giant pain, or maybe even impossible. I have it almost right, but the play from dialer function doesn't work. I don't feel particularly comfortable allowing a 3rd party app to replace this service for me, and I refuse to pay Verizon 2.99 a month for something that Google gives for free.

- The email app/client issue. Why in the hell they have the stock email app strip out CSS, I just don't understand. No one wants to have to resize their email to read it. Of course there are plenty of other third party email apps, but none of them say that they present emails like you are on, you know, a mobile device. None of the reviews mention it either. It seems that the only way that I can know is to try them each one at a time until I find the one that doesn't present the email poorly. Does anyone have suggestions?

- It appears that the stock messaging app cannot support a conversation between 4 participants particularly well. Every so often incoming messages go to the individual contact's bin instead of the group text. It seems like it gets dorked up on the outgoing every so often too. (initial investigation hasn't show any strong contenders for a valid replacement, or even what is causing the problem. Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

- Lastly the Spotify app doesn't send track data via BT streaming. There are details that I won't quote exactly right but the gist is that they didn't build their app to support it because stock Android doesn't provide it, even though most manufacturers or providers add it in (the "it" being AVRCP 1.3). There are some .apk hacks that I've found that I could replace my "official" Spotify app with, but again I find myself being irritated that is necessary.

As an aside: To the security conscious users I am curious if there are any other things I should enable or change on my device. I have set up the lock screen, encrypted the phone, enabled administrator from my email and the android device manager. There seem to be several different unnecessary apps and bloatware things on the device, and I know that I can't get rid of them without rooting, but is there a good place to get a list of things that you can/should remove and then a list of things that you cannot/should not remove? If/when I decide to root my phone I want to make sure I don't make a whole mess of work for myself to correct my mistakes.

In the end I really do think that it is fantastic that there are so many things that can be changed with the phone. The screen is amazing, and the battery life is pretty darned good too. But in the end if I have to devote half my contracted time to just setting the dang thing up how it should work from the beginning, then I question how good the customization aspect really is. I think that a considerable amount of time was just me getting accustomed to the differences in how iOS and Android work, so I am still on the fence. I like the phone but I still can't decide if it is the "right" one for me.

Thank you all for your time and input :D

Last edited:

dstackmasta27

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
tumblr_mqsej6VFWJ1rjcfxro1_500.gif

No one? :confused:

Attachments

• tumblr_mqsej6VFWJ1rjcfxro1_500.gif
    tumblr_mqsej6VFWJ1rjcfxro1_500.gif
    835.4 KB · Views: 122

dstackmasta27

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Did I post too many questions in a single post or something? No one has had any of these issues of the nearly 400 views on the thread?

I guess I can break it apart and just focus on a single thing at a time if that helps:

Visual voicemail doesn't work as it should with Google voice. Apparently Verizon is money hungry (like we already know) and makes getting it completely functional a giant pain, or maybe even impossible. I have it almost right, but the play from dialer function doesn't work. I don't feel particularly comfortable allowing a 3rd party app to replace this service for me. Has anyone gotten the Google Voice voicemail to play from the dialer?

user242

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
There's no trick just write about something most people can relate to or find interesting to comment on. Good luck! :)

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

anon6002755

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't use Google voice so I can't answer that question but as far as bloatware goes you can disable them in the settings menu>application manager>all. Select the app and most can be disabled so they don't run and some can be deleted.

joelvin

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
For Email I recommend K-9, the best email app I've used! I'm not sure what you mean about it not displaying emails like you're on a mobile device but I know it gets the job done! I've decided personally to ditch stock SMS and go for something like Textra. It's light on the eyes, minimal in features (not in a bad way, the UI is simple) and fast.

dstackmasta27

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
There's no trick just write about something most people can relate to or find interesting to comment on. Good luck! :)

Idk, it looks like cats are the trick. I was just going to cycle through the things that work on reddit until something worked. Next was going to be a narwal. :p

For Email I recommend K-9, the best email app I've used! I'm not sure what you mean about it not displaying emails like you're on a mobile device but I know it gets the job done! I've decided personally to ditch stock SMS and go for something like Textra. It's light on the eyes, minimal in features (not in a bad way, the UI is simple) and fast.

The stock mail app strips out the CSS code that makes it display in a size that is appropriate for the screen. So I end up opening emails to the top left corner of the body. Every.Single.Time. So then I have to pinch out to be able to see the full message. I've seen that k9 and aqua mail seem to be popular...but I couldn't really tell if either would work as I wanted. My next best approach was going to be downloading all of the mail clients to see which one worked. I'll give k9 a try and report back. Thanks for the suggestion.

I started digging around on XDA, and it seems like there are others that have run into the Google Voice voicemail not playing from the call logs and it seems like it *might* not be anything that can be fixed simply. I'm going to see if the dialer in Nova launcher is suitable for directly accessing my messages. :)

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Why use power toggles? Everything is already in Pulldown. Use Gmail for all my mail so cant help there. Security on phone I don't bother with pins, encryption, virus scanners etc. Sounds like your trying to hard.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

dstackmasta27

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
@moosc
Pulldown doesn't work when the phone is locked with a passcode...so I need something that can either be done with the keys on the back, or via a widget on the lock screen. Power toggles fits that bill. I don't know what you mean by "Security on phone...", but I would like to make my phone more secure than it was from the box. Why is doing something as trivial as selecting the encrypt option in settings hard? It is entirely hands off after selecting to run it.

dstackmasta27

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
@joelvin
I tried several, and have settled on Aqua for the time being...I'm still not "sold" on it enough to buy the ad-free unlimited one just yet. I think I'm going to keep digging around in the play store to see what else is out there that might be better.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Didn't respond to original post because it was so long.

I don't use visual voice mail, stock email or messaging, and rarely use Spotify.

You can access the status bar from password protected lock screen by using Xposed (requires root).

Here's a list of bloatware that's safe to disable or delete. Some you can't disable without root.

http://www.andromods.com/apps-mod/h...ve-bloatware-list-of-apps-safe-to-delete.html

Sent from my rooted LG-G2 using Tapatalk

dstackmasta27

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Thank you @SactoKingsFan :)

I've been toying with getting root, but I figured I wanted to get to understand how the device works and what this Android jazz is all about first (before I go mucking about in the superuser areas). I like the LG skinned JB (so I'm not really interested in loading any custom ROMs), but I do have things I want to change. So noobish question, I can just get root to manipulate the locked down features?

The next time I have a long post and it isn't a DIY or something I'll add a tl;dr :D
DS