What does it actually do?
    Will it brick my phone?
    I'm not very techie,so any info would be helpful

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Default Re: LG G2 and rooting

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bliznik View Post
    What does it actually do?
    It gives you full access to the operating system on your phone, allowing some additional functionality:
    • Use applications that require deeper system level access, such as ad-blockers
    • Remove or freeze applications that LG/Verizon pre-installed and do not let you remove
    • Customize the interface beyond what the default options allow
    • Install new ROMs (like CyanogenMod, etc) to completely change the operating system running on your phone
    • Install new kernels to change CPU settings and behaviors

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bliznik View Post
    Will it brick my phone?
    If done improperly, yes there is a possibility of bricking your phone. The guides are fairly straight-forward to follow for the G2, and usually there are ways to bring your phone back if you mess something up. If you are flashing different kernels, you could destroy your phone, since you could theoretically overclock your processors enough to overheat and damage components. That isn't likely, but it is not impossible if someone wants to damage their phone.

If you want to mess around with your phones appearance or use some apps that require root access, then go for it. Keep in mind, it voids your warranty, and the phone keeps track of whether it has been rooted.

Go to YouTube and type in "Why Root Android?" Press the enter key. There are tons and tons of videos explaining why you'd want to root. You can also search the threads here on the top right corner for the same thing and read several results.

In the end, it is up to you if you want to root or not, but be aware that you can damage your phone and if the manufacturer finds out, (IE: You send it back for repairs) this does void your warranty.
    Love Android! Proud owner of: LG G2 & Nexus 10
    Learning to live with my HTC One (M8)

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Is there a way to root your phone to let's say remove a few bloatware apps that the carrier included then bring it out of root form and back to the manufacturers or carriers setting without the carrier ever knowing about it?

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by user242 View Post
    Is there a way to root your phone to let's say remove a few bloatware apps that the carrier included then bring it out of root form and back to the manufacturers or carriers setting without the carrier ever knowing about it?

You wouldn't be able to get an ota and the carrier would know if the phone war ever sent in.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by user242 View Post

Yes. For this phone in particular you can reflash back to stock which is different than resetting. This would remove all traces of being rooted.
    Thanked by: