Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do I get Voice Mate to read back my text messages?

Just a little back story... I was originally going to upgrade to the Motorola Droid Maxx after previously owning 2 other Motorola Droid phones. The big selling point for me on the Droid Maxx was that the voice assistant would read your text messages back to you.

Well when I went in for the Maxx the Best Buy rep showed me the LG G2 and explained the whole Quad Processor deal to me along with some other features. I mentioned to him that I wanted to be able to have my messes read to me and to be able to reply. He assured me that all of these phones now do that, so I decided to roll with the LG G2.

Now that I have it I really like it and the voice mateadditioniton to Google Now, but I can't get either app to read new text messages back to me.don'tdont know if I'm saying the wrong command or if that feature isn't available. Either way I need clarity on what voice mate and google now (for LG G2) can and cannot do as far as reading back text messages.

Someone please help explain...Thank You.

Default Re: How do I get Voice Mate to read back my text messages?

As long as you're using the stock messaging app and not Google Hangouts, all you have to do is go to the settings app, under sound, near the bottom of the page is system sounds, you want to check the box for "voice notifications" so it says on. Then you'll also want to tap on the "voice notifications" entry so you can choose whether you want both call and text alerts read out loud. For instance I choose not to have caller info read out loud but I do choose to have both the text sender and the actual message read out loud.

Note that when you're phone is on vibrate or silent, the speech alert will not work.

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Is that to have the name of the sender annouced or will it also read the message to me and possibly ask me if I want to reply?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by C_McGuire View Post
    As long as you're using the stock messaging app and not Google Hangouts, all you have to do is go to the settings app, under sound, near the bottom of the page is system sounds, you want to check the box for "voice notifications" so it says on. Then you'll also want to tap on the "voice notifications" entry so you can choose whether you want both call and text alerts read out loud. For instance I choose not to have caller info read out loud but I do choose to have both the text sender and the actual message read out loud.

Note that when you're phone is on vibrate or silent, the speech alert will not work.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thank You for the tip. I'll have to try this tonight when I get home. I have my sound setting to annouce the name of the sender right now when the phone isn't on silent.