Using non-Verizon SIM card problem

Gecko123

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
All Verizon LTE phones are factory unlocked to use with other carriers. I have two Verizon LG G2 phones (model VS980)? one is on active service with VZW, the other is off service that I just bought on eBay. When using a foreign SIM, in this case a Singapore Simtel SIM, my active phone detects the SIM no problem, shows the Simtel phone nbr etc and the local partner network which is T-Mobile. The other phone however, using the same Simtel SIM gives me an error message: "This SIM card is from an unknown source" and I am unable to proceed with setup and can't even get into settings. Both phones are identical except one is on active service. Has anyone figured how to get around this problem? Thanks in advance.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you used a Verizon sim in the phone before to activate the device?

Also not all Verizon 4GLTE smartphones are factory sim unlocked. A number are, but not all.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Gecko123

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
No I have not used a Verizon SIM on the eBay bought phone. I was thinking of sending it overseas for use there and don't want to activate it on Verizon.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No I have not used a Verizon SIM on the eBay bought phone. I was thinking of sending it overseas for use there and don't want to activate it on Verizon.

Why not activate it on Verizon? It can still be used on gsm networks after activation

Sean Lai

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem, my Verizon Note 3 was bought from China and I never have a Verizon SIM card, is there a way to get rid of the "Unknown Source" notification? Thanks!

gaichuhie

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm in Kenya, bought the Verizon M8 on ebay. The phone works fine but I also need to remove the Non-Verizon SIM crap!
I've rooted and installed viperone M8 1.6. I tend to believe its just a small tweak needed.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Kenya, bought the Verizon M8 on ebay. The phone works fine but I also need to remove the Non-Verizon SIM crap!
I've rooted and installed viperone M8 1.6. I tend to believe its just a small tweak needed.
Probably best to ask in the HTC One (M8) forum then, not in the LG G2 forum, or in the specific ROM thread on XDA (or wherever it is hosted).

On a side note, the ROM you using is still stock Sense-based, so you might not be able to remove it without switching to an AOSP or CM based ROM, but I would ask in this forum: [ROM][MAY 11] ViperOneM8 1.6.0 | 1.54.401.5 | Android 4.4.2 Sense 6.0 | Immersive Mode, Venom Tweaks, Venom Navbar, Venom Sidebar, VenomPie, Venom Hub, Theming, Icon Packs, OTA Updates and more! - Support for all Variants - xda-developers

Mex Kev

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem, my Verizon Note 3 was bought from China and I never have a Verizon SIM card, is there a way to get rid of the "Unknown Source" notification? Thanks!

Go to settings/more setting/mobile network/switch it to global/go to app manager/all apps/force stop setup wizard/repeat if notification persists

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
You need to make sure the APN Settings for which ever provider sim card you put in their are correct!

I placed a T-MOBILE Sim Card in mine, and the APN didn't automatically update, but the ATT Sim Card did! I had Perfect 4G LTE... The Issue is that Some times the SIM Card from the other carrier doesn't Automatically bring down the APN (Internet and MMS Settings) to be able to make the phone work correctly

Zafar Gardezi

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
i am using smsumng glaxy s3 4g in the uae.on this device android 4.3version i am trying to updte

Have you used a Verizon sim in the phone before to activate the device?

Also not all Verizon 4GLTE smartphones are factory sim unlocked. A number are, but not all.

Zafar Gardezi

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
i am using verizon samsung glaxy s3 4glte in uae with du network.
in this mobile android version is 4.3 but i want to update this.
when i try to chek the update it givng eror that update is temprory unevailebal.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
i am using verizon samsung glaxy s3 4glte in uae with du network.
in this mobile android version is 4.3 but i want to update this.
when i try to chek the update it givng eror that update is temprory unevailebal.
Most Verizon devices require you be on Verizon's network to OTA update... Try Kies or flash image via Odin?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Use the Samsung update utility when plugging it into the computer. It probably can't get OTA when not on Verizon network

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Use the Samsung update utility when plugging it into the computer. It probably can't get OTA when not on Verizon network

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung?? Lol... Don't think that will help much here, pretty sure you meant LG... Yes, use the Verizon Software Update tool or LG's tool.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
How do i get to settings from "this sim card is from an unknown source" screen?
You don't on the stock ROM, it is not service affecting. There may be an Xposed mod, but the only way to really get rid if it is flash a custom ROM, this will also eliminate any MMS issues.