First impressions of 4.4.2?

Why not me

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Friggen awesome.

Don't know about battery life. But this thing is speedy now.

Don't care about icons and crap can always change that bit give! Speed baby.

Firstly like many people I use swiftkey. There used to be pause when opening, now bam it's open. Browser bam it opens. Dialer used to pause now bam it's open. There basically used to be a slight delay on everything and now bingo awesomeness.

I hope I didn't speak to soon, but nothing seems broken

Last edited:

sbudaj

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't get it. What's the big deal about KitKat? Not much changed except for some colors in icons (for the worse). Not much else. Phone was great before and is still great, but just not much changed unless you needed some of the accessibility features.

Sent from my LG G2 with Tapatalk

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Since the update my batter icon is totally white rather than being green like it was before. Is this a change or did I miss something?
Also the 4G icon is also always white. Didn't it used to turn blue when data was synced or am I thinking about a previous version or phone?

The status bar icons in KitKat are now white, instead of Holo blue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Initial impression is that it does seem quite a bit snappier. Voice quality seems a lot better too However, I am not getting near the battery life I was getting prior to the update. Before I complain though, i'm going to give it a few days to settle in and maybe go through a battery "recalibration". I've been a lot more busy at work and using my phone more, so that could be the reason. I usually have around 70+% left at the end of an average shift but the last two days have been 54% and 61% respectively.

David

joelvin

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Like some, Knock Off doesn't work with Nova when you try to knock on the status bar. I'm also pretty disappointed there's no option to turn off the AM/PM option in the status bar without changing to 24hr.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Knock off works for me using kit kat. No problem there.
Like some, Knock Off doesn't work with Nova when you try to knock on the status bar. I'm also pretty disappointed there's no option to turn off the AM/PM option in the status bar without changing to 24hr.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Initial impression is that it does seem quite a bit snappier. Voice quality seems a lot better too However, I am not getting near the battery life I was getting prior to the update. Before I complain though, i'm going to give it a few days to settle in and maybe go through a battery "recalibration". I've been a lot more busy at work and using my phone more, so that could be the reason. I usually have around 70+% left at the end of an average shift but the last two days have been 54% and 61% respectively.

David

I've been having similar results. Went the upgrade assistant route before the ota was released. I've seen folks post that standby battery seems better. Mine was abysmal yesterday.
Typically my phone sets in my car while I'm in work (work in a prison so no cell phones allowed). During my 8 hour shift my battery had always only drained about 4 or 5 percent. Yesterday it drained 17% doing the same thing as every day! Did an FDR last night so hopefully that takes care of it.

Posted via Android Central App

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that AOSP browser does not work anymore, any way to get it to work? It always seemed to work well for pages where Chrome was being crunky. Also, my phone is definitely snappier!

It's a KitKat thing. You have to be rooted to continue using the AOSP browser with KitKat.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Happy to report that after an FDR, battery life seems on par if not better than before. Thank goodness.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Got KK on Saturday.

It's a bit snappier as previously reported, but the auto-brightness on my G2 is now bonkers - not usable any longer. Not only was it changing brightness levels constantly, but I couldn't get it to be bright enough under any lighting condition, so I am on manual for the first time with the G2. That's a step back IMO.

Otherwise, KK is OK.

ilhe1s

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Disclaimer: I know Benchmark apps are not the end all be all.

I ran Antutu on 4.2.2 with a score of 36117 and then ran Antutu on 4.4.2 with a score of 32646. The only reason I ran it in the first place was because I noticed the animations didn't seem to be as seamless and as fluid as on 4.2.2

I know KitKat was supposed to have speed improvements but I'm just not seeing it.

anon(1806524)

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Battery life seems improved, which is always welcomed. I actually like how responsive my screen brightness adjustment is now. I had issues with it taking too long to get bright in bright sunlight. Now it's much more responsive. The Knock Knock function is much more responsive and faster.

One question I have is that I thought we were supposed to get the Knock Code with KitKat. Is that not the case?

somenothingness

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have an issue with the update. The option in call features on JB said Power BUTTON Ends Call. In KK it is supposed to say Power KEY Ends Call. I noticed that no matter if I toggled that option on or off that the power button ends the call. I called VZW who 3-way called LG. LG said it was VZW responsibility since VZW signed off on the update. LG wants to charge shipping to and from repair while VZW wants to send a replacement. This is after diagnostics and resets have already been done. One rep's supervisor has the LG with the same problem. Several others did not have the issue, or were unaware to it as of yet. If enough problems were reported of the same nature, LG would issue an update to fix bugs, but would still have to go through testing and then to VZW for testing, and that might be quite some time if at all. I am holding off on returning it, hoping something fixes itself. Otherwise I might still be stuck in a loop of return, replace, update, errors, repeat.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
It's a KitKat thing. You have to be rooted to continue using the AOSP browser with KitKat.

That's what I think I've found out...and it kinda sucks. Opera takes care of most of the issues I have with Chrome when it's not working right, except for oversized charts, and not being able to shrink them or scroll to see them.

Phone seems way snappier, but benchmark scores are kinda low...not that I really care about that, I just wonder why. Battery life is on par I think. I'm at 45% with 2 hours of on screen time, and 3 hours of use. Did top it off for about 20 minutes or so. Bad reception here. Usually lasts 8-9 hours or so at my house. Not bad for a decent reception area.

Automatic brightness has gotten much worse with the update in bright light, which I didn't actually think was possible. That's my most major problem.

Last edited:

joelvin

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone figured out how to disable the popups when you disable Data and WiFi from the Notification shortcuts? It messes me up because the notification shade rolls up every time the popup comes up

bgrushin

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone figured out how to disable the popups when you disable Data and WiFi from the Notification shortcuts? It messes me up because the notification shade rolls up every time the popup comes up

Oh is this the stupid notification you get when you activate GPS from the settings menu rather than shortcut on 4.2? I used to hate activating gps from the settings menu (gmaps takes you there when you do navigation and it asks to activate gps) for that reason, its so stupid, I know what I'm doing activating the GPS verizon!