Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default First impressions of 4.4.2?

How's your experience been this far since the upgrade? I'll be doing mine later today.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: First impressions of 4.4.2?

As soon as the white models get the update, I'll let you know.

Loving the transparent notification bar and navigation bar. Is it correct that there is no ART runtime developer option?

Ok. Here's something that seems broken: with Nova Launcher, knock-off in the notification bar no longer works. All it does is cause the notification slide to slide down.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Look at an app called knock lock I use it with the action launcher and I love it because it saves me from having to knock on the action bar to turn the screen off.

Problem is that I want to turn off the screen without locking the phone and requiring my password to reopen.

I have noticed gps is gone and been replaced with a location app, does this mean gps is on all the time?
    UPDATE: with the above mentioned I noticed the new location only pops up when you open an app like maps or waze that require gps.... Maybe.

Big Pimpin' Big Red's LG G2

first thing i noticed is that screen auto brightness seems work a lot faster and better now.
    knock-knock seems to be improved as well.

Another annoyance is that Verizon has force-kept some Holo blue elements in the notification shade, including the on-line indication for toggles, the word "notifications" (which is stupid to even be there: if you need to be told that what you are looking at are notifications, you've got bigger problems), and "Verizon Wireless" at the bottom of the slide. Not functionally relevant, but these sure look terrible.

Battery usage while asleep seems much less!

I won't get a good feel for the battery life until I go to work Monday, but so far the phone feels a bit smoother and snappier. I've noticed a few slight changes in the phone. Overall a nice update. I was hoping knock code would be in the update, but that's not a huge deal.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rackumrack View Post
    I have noticed gps is gone and been replaced with a location app, does this mean gps is on all the time?
    UPDATE: with the above mentioned I noticed the new location only pops up when you open an app like maps or waze that require gps.... Maybe.

Big Pimpin' Big Red's LG G2
    Go into settings under location and choose the mode that you'd like to use. High priority keeps gps and other location services on all the time. I use battery saver as it uses wifi etc. And well, extreme explains itself. However to get navigation to work in maps, you'll have to switch to high accuracy, which it will tell you to do when you are trying to use navigation.
    Thanked by:

I will 2nd that battery drain while asleep is a lot less. I left my charging cable by the computer and was too lazy to get up and get it, so I just left it unplugged bedside last night. Went to sleep at 62%, woke up this morning and it was at 61%. Everything else seems pretty much the same. Maybe a little more responsive, google chrome seems quicker to show results, but other than that, meh. I was happy before and I'm happy now.

Might be a stupid question, but how do you get to Google Now in Kit Kat? It no longer appears when swiping from the bottom.

here's a comparison video test of 4.2.2 vs 4.4.2 look like most apps will low up faster on kitkat
    LG G2 comparison video pits KitKat-powered unit against Jelly Bean device | Android and Me

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eric6491 View Post
    Might be a stupid question, but how do you get to Google Now in Kit Kat? It no longer appears when swiping from the bottom.
    Odd, it's there on mine.

Google wallet is a viable option now. Haven't used it to see if it actually works, but at least its there.

Thanked by:

I use Nova Launcher and can still double tap on the notification bar to turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
    Another annoyance is that Verizon has force-kept some Holo blue elements in the notification shade, including the on-line indication for toggles, the word "notifications" (which is stupid to even be there: if you need to be told that what you are looking at are notifications, you've got bigger problems), and "Verizon Wireless" at the bottom of the slide. Not functionally relevant, but these sure look terrible.

I liked the blue, it matched my cyan Incipio DualPro case. But consistency would be nice, they should have changed all to white or left it all blue. Where are you seeing the "Verizon Wireless"? In the notification shade? I don't see that on mine

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

I think this may be what Physioprof is talking about

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First impressions of 4.4.2?-1397853977250.jpg  

I don't have that, and I'm glad!

Why is the OTA approx. 670MB and the software update from PC was nearly 2GB?

VZW rep said: Oh wow! I hate to see you are having trouble with the update. The file sizes vary based on how the phone is updated because over the air updates (OTA) add what you don't have and the PC updates are removing and re-downloading software from scratch on the phone.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Me too no issue
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyTop View Post
    I use Nova Launcher and can still double tap on the notification bar to turn off.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Actually, it looks like this has nothing to do with Nova. Even from the stock Home launcher, I can only knock-off from an empty area of the home screen, but not from the notification bar. If I double tap the notification bar, whether in Nova or Home, it starts to open the notification shade on the first tap, and doesn't register a double tap.

Could it be some setting or software I am using that is causing this?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast