Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dcleveng
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Did the KitKat OTA, was rooted. Now big problems. need help.

So I rooted it with IOroot awhile back, and thought i read it would be safe for the ota. It installed, and after the reboot, it shows the verizon boot for a sec, then twrp. I tried rebooting into system, nada, and boot
    loader, which had to be hard powered off. Next I chose my backup, and it was successful (in theory) cause it just went to twrp again. I did a factory wipe, and nada again. I sorta panicked and was trying things I wasnt sure what I was doing, but not for long. Well there was no way to power it off, so uinplugged it. Now when I first plug it in to charge, or power up, it goes to LG and then twrp. I am not very silled in this craft yet, and dont wanna just start doing things. I am not sure how to tell if I lost root, or what that entails. I am wondering, one, am I effed? Are the files all within twrp that I could just move or whatever? I was reading and seeing about lg tools, so looking for a version that has lg vs980, and what to do. I will take any suggestions, just may need to help me within that. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Did the KitKat OTA, was rooted. Now big problems. need help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Smiley View Post
    So I rooted it with IOroot awhile back, and thought i read it would be safe for the ota. It installed, and after the reboot, it shows the verizon boot for a sec, then twrp. I tried rebooting into system, nada, and boot
    loader, which had to be hard powered off. Next I chose my backup, and it was successful (in theory) cause it just went to twrp again. I did a factory wipe, and nada again. I sorta panicked and was trying things I wasnt sure what I was doing, but not for long. Well there was no way to power it off, so uinplugged it. Now when I first plug it in to charge, or power up, it goes to LG and then twrp. I am not very silled in this craft yet, and dont wanna just start doing things. I am not sure how to tell if I lost root, or what that entails. I am wondering, one, am I effed? Are the files all within twrp that I could just move or whatever? I was reading and seeing about lg tools, so looking for a version that has lg vs980, and what to do. I will take any suggestions, just may need to help me within that. Thanks in advance!
    [FIX] Installed TWRP and now you're stuck after OTA? - xda-developers

This will cancel the update and bring you back to your previous state. You have to get your phone back to the stock recovery (not TWRP) before taking the update. I'm in the same boat and the link above saved my phone. Just have to get TWRP off my phone before trying the update again.

Never take OTA with a custom recovery. Its not root that was the problem, it's the fact that you had a custom recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    SactoKingsFan likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

thank you so much! used terminal.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by RazorLeaf View Post
    [FIX] Installed TWRP and now you're stuck after OTA? - xda-developers

This will cancel the update and bring you back to your previous state. You have to get your phone back to the stock recovery (not TWRP) before taking the update. I'm in the same boat and the link above saved my phone. Just have to get TWRP off my phone before trying the update again.

No problem! Xda is a great support site. Not sure if it interests you, but if you update through the mobile support tool, everything is wiped (including recovery) when you update to 4.4. Good way to start over if custom recoveries don't interest you anymore. That's what I'm going to do since I only want root and Xposed with KitKat.

Sent from G2 or G Pad 8.3
    Sent from HTC One M8 or LG G Pad 8.3
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I like xda. Oh ok, thanks. Do I just have to re download all my apps, and what not? Or a way to back them up first? I just want root really.

I like xda. Oh ok, thanks. Do I just have to re download all my apps, and what not? Or a way to back them up first? I just want root really.
    Well I just finished my KitKat update this evening and it didn't remove any apps or data, but returned my phone to stock. It may vary for you and others though. Not sure why mine wasn't wiped. I would backup your pictures or music etc. beforehand and just rely on the Play Store for restoring apps. Unless you have some side loaded then add those to the back up. Create a nandroid backup to your computer with instructions on xda.
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

did the update via upgrade assistant, and all data was there afterwards, just lost root access, so gotta get that back. thanks again!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Any idea the best way to reroot?

Any idea the best way to reroot?
    Ioroot25 still works.

Posted via Android Central App
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

thanks. I am rooted again.

Hey guys I'm currently having the same problem although using the method listed I can't get it to work through terminal.