Is anyone using Hangouts for sms?

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Just curious if anyone is using it and finds it better on KK now. I've tried it in the past, and always just found it kinda slow to load. I did load it up, but it seems to eat battery compared to stock messaging app. I really want to like it, but it just doesn't seem as good as the stock app. Thoughts?

Edit-just installed today's update. Much much better. Even has a widget now.
Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

JJones1210

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Decided to start using it after the update as well. It's awesome now, smooth, and I dig the integrated Hangouts/SMS threads. Battery consumption also seems to be greatly reduced. It's my default for now.

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I was using Hangouts for SMS on my DNA with 4.2.2, OTA rollout for KitKat starts Thursday so i will be trying hangouts again, i currently us VERIZON MESSAGES... I have been trying to 3 weeks now to buy the LG G2 and Best Buy kept running out when they had it $49... and then when they had it, i was broke,... Now the price is $1, but i had to pay my phone bill first, now that i could get it... they are sold out again, and i know as soon as don't have time to get it, they will have it again... !!!

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I've heard lots of good things about hangouts but the one thing I like least... and have trouble figuring out how to fix, is the lack of contact picture sync. I just get the default emoticons and not contact pictures.

David

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I like Hangouts, except for one thing, you cannot search messages/threads... which seems kind of counter-intuitive of Google to not include such a basic feature, especially seeings how they are a "search" company. I am using Hangouts on my personal Nexus, mostly because of the simplicity and video call integration, but using Handcent on my work phone for the ability to search messages for specific text.

I've heard lots of good things about hangouts but the one thing I like least... and have trouble figuring out how to fix, is the lack of contact picture sync. I just get the default emoticons and not contact pictures.

David
I get contact pictures in Hangouts, for all Google contacts and FB contacts synced with Ubersync, didn't do anything special.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang