Can you disable OTA software updates?

denarok

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I see there are a lot of issues after upgrade, and right now I need a phone that works 100%. I don't have time to troubleshoot. I see no reason to even upgrade I am happy with what I got.

Is there a way I can stop it from asking me to install every 5 minutes? It is driving me crazy I keep saying install later but keeps popping up

Thanks

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
The only way I know is rooting. Flashing roms will defer the notification. But that takes time and If not done correctly,can brick your device.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

JJones1210

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you are rooted, you can use Titanium Backup and Freeze the system app named "Software Update MUC". This prevents the phone from self checking for updates and the notifications will stop.

FRUHD

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
So I know it's a nooby q, but when you say flashing the ROM is time consuming and could brick the phone, isn't rooting just as time consuming and risky? I've always been too scared to root since I just paid for this device and I'm locked into this stupid contract... if I brick it that's a $600 investment I've just killed. :-\

Being on Verizon, aka Bloatwarezon, I see why it would be oh so great to root... but I still fear the brick.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
So I know it's a nooby q, but when you say flashing the ROM is time consuming and could brick the phone, isn't rooting just as time consuming and risky? I've always been too scared to root since I just paid for this device and I'm locked into this stupid contract... if I brick it that's a $600 investment I've just killed. :-\

Being on Verizon, aka Bloatwarezon, I see why it would be oh so great to root... but I still fear the brick.
Anytime you modify your phone there is a chance of things going wrong, I have seen OTAs fail and rootings fail, but almost all were because people did not do their research or they didn't understand the implications or procedures.

In reality, neither one of them is really unsafe, but there is always a chance. The first thing I did with my G2, within 24 hours of getting it, was root it.

The G2 is pretty safe to mod, as long as it will power up, the chances it is perma-bricked is near zero, since we can get the LG Flash tool and factory restore images.

somenothingness

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I got a replacement today. Immediately FDR upon powering on 3 times. Charged to 100% and left plugged into AC outlet while downloading update and installing update. Then FDR 3 more times. Everything is working so far. SMS sends and receives timely, tapping shade/pull-down bar turns off/on screen without going to date window, power button no longer ends call, BT works, battery is just as good as JB. I'm sure something will pop up, but so far, none of the usual gripes.

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I got a replacement today. Immediately FDR upon powering on 3 times. Charged to 100% and left plugged into AC outlet while downloading update and installing update. Then FDR 3 more times. Everything is working so far. SMS sends and receives timely, tapping shade/pull-down bar turns off/on screen without going to date window, power button no longer ends call, BT works, battery is just as good as JB. I'm sure something will pop up, but so far, none of the usual gripes.

Do you use Google Play Music? Have you notice that the tracks encounter server error about 3/4 way through? You can replicate by seeking to the end of a track.

jcoles3800

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
In my Titanium Backup Pro I only have Updater 1.0 which I froze, but I keep getting the OTA notifications. Don't see "Software Update MUC". Any other suggstions?

Last edited:

Surfer Joe1

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I've seen 2 methods to stop the unbelievably obnoxious OTA messages. This is for a SG5.

If you pay for the PRO version of Titanium Backup, you can search the process list for SDM and freeze it. Or, you can use RootBrowser and simply RENAME the 2 files in system/priv-app named SPDClient.apk and SPDClient.odex. Rename them by adding some kind of suffix to them like .bak
SPDClient.odex --> SPDClient.odex.bak
Just click on the filename to get a list of options and choose RENAME.

I tried the rename but it did not work so I bought the Titanimum PRO version to freeze the app. So far no stupid interruptions every 3 min!

warsage

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
In reply to this post from JJones1210:

"If you are rooted, you can use Titanium Backup and Freeze the system app named "Software Update MUC". This prevents the phone from self checking for updates and the notifications will stop."

THANK YOU SO MUCH. For WEEKS I've been trying to figure out how to get rid of this garbage without going back to stock. My LG G2 has been keeping an "Update Now" notification all the time, and every 12 hours it automatically tries to install the update without my permission, reboots, and gets stuck at TWRP. Update doesn't install, and I've had to do this (link posted below, I don't have privileges yet) to get past TWRP. 12 hours later, do it all again.

My hero.

Link for anyone with my same bootloop problem: forum?xda-developers?com/showthread?php?t=2451696 (replace ? with period except for the last one)

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Why is your phone auto downloading updates anyway? Mine always ASKS... "There is a new OTA Download Available, Download now, Download Later or No Thanks... Click No Thanks, Or Download Later and then click "Download when on Wifi"

freday2005

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I always root and then remove all the bloatware from my phone the day I get it. You can rename most all the apps in the system/app folder and system/priv-app folders and just add a .bak at the end to remove the apps so they don't load at startup. I did notice my new G2 has a mobileupdateclient.apk in the system/app folder and when renamed it completely removes the system update menu from the settings menu. When I got the phone it wanted to do a system update to A26 which I know I can't root properly with ioroot because the recovery mode has been blocked so I told the update to hold off until 9pm tonight (figured about 12hrs was enough time for me to figure out how to disable it). I will post back and let you know if it completely disabled it or if it bugs me again about the update. (fingers crossed). I've rebooted several times and downloaded apps and such without any problems so far. EDIT:::: removing /system/app/mobileupdateclient.apk and .odex worked perfectly. I told the OTA update to initiate at 9pm and its now 11:42 and my phone hasn't mentioned it or tried to sneak it in. I will update again in the next cpl days if it tries to update. BEST OF LUCK.

Last edited:

Nexus9

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
On my rooted Verizon LG G2 VS980 ver 4.4.2 (VS98024A) The app that needs to be frozen with Titanium is "SYSTEM Updates MUC". I froze that, and within a few minutes I got a "System update failed" popup on my home screen. I rebooted, and haven't seen anything for an hour now. Fingers crossed.
Hope this helps.
Jon

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Why is your phone auto downloading updates anyway? Mine always ASKS... "There is a new OTA Download Available, Download now, Download Later or No Thanks... Click No Thanks, Or Download Later and then click "Download when on Wifi"

I was just discussing (okay, whining about) this in another thread.

I got no messages about an update since updating to 4.4.2 in the spring. Then, a couple weeks ago I thouht to check and found the 25B update available. I checked here first, and no one seemed to be having problems and were, in fact, reporting benefits, so I went ahead and installed it. I was happy for 5 days, as it fixed on problem I had after 4.4.2, and my battery life seemed to improve. Then, a few days later I started experiencing several issues, and when I checked I found that my phone had installed the 26A update without me ever being asked of having given consent. It was done over night.

I would love to know how to stop this happening, but I don't have a clue.

If anyone else does, I would love to hear their thoughts. In a period of 10 days, my phone went from being the best phone I've ever owned, to being so buggy and unreliable that it's almost useless to me - IMHO, all because it auto updated without my permission.

Richard Holcombe

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Thank you! I was looking for a way to disable AT&T Automatic Updates (the current push is 4.4.4) and I didn't want to install until I knew if it plugged the root access. I ran across this dated post, and used T-Backup to freeze the Software Update.

trbeason

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, supposedly rooted through my provider, with a monthly plan allowing only 500mb data. My phone is downloading "system updates" (android/samsung) through Google Play Services on a very regular basis pretty much weekly - but almost always, if not only, when I am away from wifi. At over 92mb per download, it's killing me! After spending hours and hours on the phone with my provider I have learned a couple things. 1) The phone should not take or install the download because it is rooted. That's the least of my problems. 2) There is supposedly no way to stop the download from happening - even though, or especially because it is not installing. That's a HUGE problem! After searching online, I have found a few things (here) about freezing some action with Titanium Backup. One posting I saw said that Titanium Back-up Pro was needed. I downloaded both onto my phone. Had to pay for the Pro version - but while Google Play Store says it is downloaded (and paid for) I can not find it ANYWHERE on my phone - and the only option at Google Play store, where usually there is an "open" option for purchased programs, is to "uninstall". (That's just a side problem). On the posting I have seen where it says that I can freeze Software Update MUC - no such "file" exists on my phone. I know about how to use my phone and I can follow directions, but I am not a techie. Please provide me some helpful direction. I need to stop these downloads from happening!!! PLEASE HELP!

trbeason

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, supposedly rooted through my provider, with a monthly plan allowing only 500mb data. My phone is downloading "system updates" (android/samsung) through Google Play Services on a very regular basis pretty much weekly - but almost always, if not only, when I am away from wifi. At over 92mb per download, it's killing me! After spending hours and hours on the phone with my provider I have learned a couple things. 1) The phone should not take or install the download because it is rooted. That's the least of my problems. 2) There is supposedly no way to stop the download from happening - even though, or especially because it is not installing. That's a HUGE problem! After searching online, I have found a few things (here) about freezing some action with Titanium Backup. One posting I saw said that Titanium Back-up Pro was needed. I downloaded both onto my phone. Had to pay for the Pro version - but while Google Play Store says it is downloaded (and paid for) I can not find it ANYWHERE on my phone - and the only option at Google Play store, where usually there is an "open" option for purchased programs, is to "uninstall". (That's just a side problem). On the posting I have seen where it says that I can freeze Software Update MUC - no such "file" exists on my phone.

I have tried RootBrowser and simply RENAME the 2 files in system/priv-app named SPDClient.apk and SPDClient.odex. Rename them by adding some kind of suffix to them like .bak,,, but there again, those file names do not exist. There ARE several files dealing with Sprint... this and that....

I know about how to use my phone and I can follow directions, but I am not a techie. Please provide me some helpful direction. I need to stop these downloads from happening!!! PLEASE HELP!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke