Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default The OTA keeps bugging my rooted G2!

Hello,
    So the new 4.4.2 Android is coming at me OTA pretty strong. Its been bugging me the last couple of days, even though I've been putting it off (I choose "later" when it asks me if I want to install it). I have been rooted a long time now -- will I lose root if I download and install this OTA? I'm on a verizon unlimited plan, running Android 4.2.2, software version VS98012B. I don't have TWRP installed -- I only have superuser v3.1.3 (46), titanium backup pro, busybox free, and Voodoo OTA RootKeeper 2.0.3. I originally used ioroot to root the device.

Can I update without loosing root? If so, what method?

[and how has people's battery life been holding up after the update? I've heard some negative stories...]

Global Posts
    4,619 Global Posts
    ROM
    I'M RUNNING STOCK BABY!

Default Re: The OTA keeps bugging my rooted G2!

Usually an OTA update will overwrite root permissions if you have any.

-Wizzrah, Android Central Ambassador | Sent from my AT&T HTC One X running CodefireX 4.4.2

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln

Just accepted the update and forgot to protect and unroot using OTA Rootkeeper. Amazingly it retained root.

(On Verizon went from 4.2.2 to 4.4.2)
    Proud owner of: White LG G2 & (iPhone 6)
    Gone But Not Forgotten: OG Droid, Dinc, Droid Charge, iPhone 4, Bionic, Razr Maxx & Maxx HD, iPhone 5, SG3, HTC One Maxx, HTC One (M8), iPhone 6, Droid Turbo, & LG G3 (Ask me anything about them. I remember them all.)

I was rooted on 4.2.2 but when I did the update using Verizon's update tool from my PC I lost root.

IORoot25 supports 4.4.2, so even if you lose root by taking the update, it's easy enough to just root again.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

dcleveng--
    Is that what you used to get root back? And if so, are you using the hotspot fix?

Global Posts
    1,229 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

Quote Originally Posted by daniel178 View Post
    dcleveng--
    Is that what you used to get root back? And if so, are you using the hotspot fix?
    The hotspot fix for 4.2.2 does not work on 4.4.2... the last I heard there is no "fix" yet on KitKat on the Verizon model.
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on AT&T (SimpleAOSP/hells-Core Kernel/LTE)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Snuzzo's Plain-Andy ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P

Yes, I used IORoot25 to get root back on 4.4.2.

I haven't had a need to use the hotspot fix, I'm on a family share plan, so it seems to work without any mods.