Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Double tapping the status bar to sleep with Kit-Kat?

Sometimes when I double tap my notification bar to put my phone to sleep a Date & Time preferences screen comes up, instead of turning the screen off. This wasn't happening before I updated my phone this morning. Has anyone else experienced this today and know how to make it stop? I would say about 60% of the time the screen turns off like normal, and 40% of the time the preferences screen pops up.

Default Re: Double tapping the status bar to sleep with Kit-Kat?

When I tap my bar the date and time appear. I always tap a blank area on my screen to turn off. I never tap the bar, as I drag it down for info.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Well, my home screen is full, so tapping the status bar is the best way to lock my phone. It worked fine before the update, but now it takes me to a Date and Time settings page for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by hallmr09 View Post
    Sometimes when I double tap my notification bar to put my phone to sleep a Date & Time preferences screen comes up, instead of turning the screen off. This wasn't happening before I updated my phone this morning. Has anyone else experienced this today and know how to make it stop? I would say about 60% of the time the screen turns off like normal, and 40% of the time the preferences screen pops up.
    you're lucky ever since the update I could never turn my phone off with double tapping the status barI have to go back to the homescreen and double tap it to turn my phone off

I have only ever used the status bar for locking and after the KK update I have noticed you have to be very precise in your tap. The first one has to be dead still, if you drag down even slightly the window will open and you end up tapping the date and time section which is why it takes you to that menu.

For me, even the most precise first tap pulls down the shade. So knock-off in the status bar is now completely inoperable.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Same here, FDR did not fix. My replacement arrives today. I will not update, opting to disable the system update app until later on in the future...if ever.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Ah I see now that if I pull the status bar down and click on the time it takes me to that menu. That must be what is happening. It's really annoying and I guess there is probably no fix to it.

Yeah from what it sounds it's hit or miss on how sensitive that is.

I got a replacement today. Immediately FDR upon powering on 3 times. Charged to 100% and left plugged into AC outlet while downloading update and installing update. Then FDR 3 more times. Everything is working so far. SMS sends and receives timely, tapping shade/pull-down bar turns off/on screen without going to date window, power button no longer ends call, BT works, battery is just as good as JB. I'm sure something will pop up, but so far, none of the usual gripes.

My double tapping the status bar also doesn't work with the kitkat update. Is it confirmed that a factory reset of the phone will fix it? Really don't want to have to do that but if it fixes it maybe.

I figured out a solution. I had "Animator duration scale" set to 0x in the developer options. Turn this to 1x (or 0.5x if you would rather animations go faster) and restart the phone. This fixed my problem.

Note that this does bring back the annoying CRT screen turn off animation that I dislike but I prefer having that and still being able to double tap the status bar. Also note that you can leave window and transition animation scales to 0x if you wish, they have no effect on this problem.
    Thanked by 3:

Quote Originally Posted by linksmask1 View Post
    I figured out a solution. I had "Animator duration scale" set to 0x in the developer options. Turn this to 1x (or 0.5x if you would rather animations go faster) and restart the phone. This fixed my problem.

Note that this does bring back the annoying CRT screen turn off animation that I dislike but I prefer having that and still being able to double tap the status bar. Also note that you can leave window and transition animation scales to 0x if you wish, they have no effect on this problem.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! This was exactly what was causing it for me, too!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Worked for me too. THANKS!

great thank you very much

thank you for your advice worked fine hey any advice call quality issues my g2 is terrible Thanks

Hallelujah!! Ran into this tonight and it was driving me nuts....was ready to jump off the Factory Reset bridge! Thank you!

You're awesome, it worked for me! Thanks a bunch. It was so irritating, I started searching for something that'd help for hours!