LG g2 not charging with original charger

Katieface9

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Occasionally since the KK update, when plugged in to the original charger, I get an error saying that charging has been stopped and I need to plug in my phone to the original charger. Typically I can unplug then replug in the charger and after a time or two it would realize it's the original charger and charge like normal. Now it is completely refusing to charge with the original charger. Any ideas what is wrong/what I can do? I had been excited about the KK update but it's been more trouble than its worth in some cases :(

Posted via Android Central App

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
You could try turning the phone off, then on again. Check that the microusb connection is clean. Good luck. If everything else fails, try a factory data reset.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I would try a different USB cable and/or charger... this sounds like a cable issue. I have charged my G2 from lots of sources, HTC/Motorola/Samsung chargers, third party chargers, computers, servers, etc. and have seen an "incompatibility" error.

AZDroid

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't blame kitkat, definitely think it's a problem with the cable or your charging port. Check for debris in the port, that could be interfering.

I mainly use my original charger, but also occasionally use my Nexus 7 charger, kindle fire charger, an Anker external battery with its own cable, and an Anker car charger all with no errors and fast charging. The only time I ever got any warnings before or after kitkat was with an older car charger with low output that warned of a slow charge.

Ladybug Anon

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
I've repeatedly had the same issue--and it's driving me crazy. We've replaced the chargers (verizon), the cables and the phones. In each case they've been swapped out THREE TIMES and the problem has just started on the latest LG G2--though it's lasted the longest (around 3 months). Mind you I received my first LG G2 in June, so that's a pretty poor record (6 months total). Replacing the cables and chargers seemed to do the trick, though I can't be positive since I'm starting to have the problem again. ALL of these are Verizon provided, so it's obviously NOT that I'm using knock off cables or chargers. Very, very frustrating. I cannot handle trading in phones every month or so and having to reinstall my apps, etc. This is ridiculous!

Ladybug Anon

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
I just ran across the suggestion that if the phone is powered off that it should start charging again when turned back on. I hope it really is that simple, and if it works--given I started looking because--as I already posted here, I started having this problem again, I will try to remember to follow up on this site. If anyone else tries this--whether it works or not, please post as well. My disability affects my memory, so I may simply forget to let you know. If it works, we should also let our cell providers know. Verizon at least, hasn't told me to try this. Instead they want to keep sending me replacement hardware--which obviously isn't solving the problem.

Given that I went onto this site searching for an answer to the "incompatible charger" message and being prevented from charging my LG G2, I powered my phone off and restarted it as suggested--them plugged it back into the charger right before posting this. So far so good--no "incompatible charger" message. Could it really be that simple and our cell providers have no clue?

Dmand123

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I just ran across the suggestion that if the phone is powered off that it should start charging again when turned back on. I hope it really is that simple, and if it works--given I started looking because--as I already posted here, I started having this problem again, I will try to remember to follow up on this site. If anyone else tries this--whether it works or not, please post as well. My disability affects my memory, so I may simply forget to let you know. If it works, we should also let our cell providers know. Verizon at least, hasn't told me to try this. Instead they want to keep sending me replacement hardware--which obviously isn't solving the problem.

Given that I went onto this site searching for an answer to the "incompatible charger" message and being prevented from charging my LG G2, I powered my phone off and restarted it as suggested--them plugged it back into the charger right before posting this. So far so good--no "incompatible charger" message. Could it really be that simple and our cell providers have no clue?

Dmand123

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
On my LG g3 from Verizon I had the same issue I solved it by turning off my phone and removing the battery for 30 seconds then putting the battery back in and turning it on try that.

Phaze

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
When that starting happening w/ my LG G2, I purchased a Blackberry Playback charger from Amazon. For some reason, that is the only charger that I've has worked for me. It's fast too.

Ladybug Anon

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
I do suspect that you are correct. They don't want us using generic devices. And they charge a ridiculous amount for their own--$20 for a cable???? The good news on my end is that I've only had the issue reoccur a few times,.but when it DID happen I wasn't even able to charge my phone by my computer! After a couple of days of frantically turning on and off (I have too many things that I need to do a factory reset) and trying all kinds of things, it suddenly started charging again. This is not right. Phones are not luxuries, they are vital necessities.

Deehall45

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I am also using the charger that came with the phone. I see you said you were also, so I can't understand why people keep advising you to use the same charger. I have had my LG G2 for a year now and it use to charge ok. Now it either doesn't always recognize that it is on the charger, or says the "charging has been discontinued due to incorrect cord." Something like that. Still, sometimes it charges. I have cleaned the connecters also.

Antgen789

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I am also using the original charger for my lg g2. It says that the connected charger won't work with this phone. The only way I know I can charge it is by using my wife's iPhone charger (with my cable though), which works, but it is definitely not the original charger. The lg charger itself seems to work ok to charge other devices though. This problem just started happening today on my lg g2. Turning off & on the lg g2 does not fix the problem. Anyone have ideas as to what is wrong?

TennesseeSon1

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Same problems. I am using a Belkin charger I purchased from Walgreens for $24. Worked fine for a month and now I am getting the "not original charger" error. Normally happens when I have less than 10% battery. So if I plug in the micro USB without the charger connected to power, then plug it into the outlet, it works! Weird stuff. This is a Verizon LG G2 and the Belkin charger said LG complient. Go figure.