Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Virus?

So I was on Chrome and I had a message saying I have a virus. It says hornworm.apk

What can I do if anything. Is it a virus?

Virus?-image.jpg

Default Re: Virus?

I would probably not hit anything on the screen and reboot the phone. It seems like a trap to get you to download a virus or malware. Very possibly nothing wrong with your phone.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks! If I did hit the remove and recover now but didn't download the virus program/app that followed, am I ok? I'm new to android world. Just close the tab and see if it pops up again?
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,442 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by onnad View Post
    Thanks! If I did hit the remove and recover now but didn't download the virus program/app that followed, am I ok? I'm new to android world. Just close the tab and see if it pops up again?
    You should be fine. Some sites/pages tell you that your phone is infected to get you to download their "antivirus" apps like mentioned above. Do you use any of those at the moment?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Not that I'm aware of. I just did (Sunday) the kitkat update. Was there any new apps with that? I put 1 letter in differently (say an s instead of an a) when going to a website that's when that popped up.

I can't find much about it when searched, so hopefully it was just an ad. Just watch your phone for strange behavior. You can use one of the common anti-virus apps on the play store if it would make you feel better about it.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,442 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Not that I'm aware of. I just did (Sunday) the kitkat update. Was there any new apps with that? I put 1 letter in differently (say an s instead of an a) when going to a website that's when that popped up.
    Not that I know of. Most changes were under the hood, and any new apps were likely available to phones on 4.3 as well.
    I'm sure there's a lot of sites that take advantage of typos to spam you with their ads and such, but I think you'll be alright. Chances of downloading a virus are unlikely on a phone.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

If I'm not mistaken, Chrome has a redirect corrector. IOW, it should direct you automatically to the proper website.

I've had the exact same thing and am struggling to find anything on the internet about it. I also get it when on Chrome, did you download anything/have you done anything about it?

I Have seen this screen, never found anything under hornyworm (see screenshot). After installing a free whiz bang with an option to display an Addy on each wakeup, this one shows up frequently. I ignore most Addy's and goback to presleep status.

Don't. I know it's late but I learned my lesson

So I was on Chrome and I had a message saying I have a virus. It says hornworm.apk

What can I do if anything. Is it a virus?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	714.0 KB 
ID:	115431
    I have encountered similar when clicking on a link to update to Lollipop. I decided that I had a lesser fear of actually having the virus than where proceeding would take me. A notice told me that I had downloaded the virus while visiting an adult website. I have not viewed such websites. I have scanned with AVG with no issues detected.

I came across similar....clicking on a Google link.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Virus?-22031.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Biologymann View Post
    I have encountered similar when clicking on a link to update to Lollipop. I decided that I had a lesser fear of actually having the virus than where proceeding would take me. A notice told me that I had downloaded the virus while visiting an adult website. I have not viewed such websites. I have scanned with AVG with no issues detected.