Screen Brightness Question Since KK Update

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I am having a terrible time with screen brightness adjustments ever since KK. Especially when taking the phone out of my pocket in direct sunlight. It will dim to almost being black and then takes up to 5 seconds to adjust so that I can see it.

I contacted LG. They suggested turning off automatic brightness, which pissed me off, but I did it anyways. I have noticed however, that the screen still adjusts. I thought that when auto brightness was off the screen stays at the brightness that you have set it for? Am I wrong here or has LG made a change to how this works on their phones. In any case, it is still annoying how dramatic it adjust regardless of screen brightness off or on.

I forgot to mention that when I had it on automatic, it was set to baseline 60%, which when pulling the phone out of my pocket on 4.2, I could see the screen just fine.

sbudaj

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you entirely. I don't have an answer, but it is very annoying. I unchecked auto-brightness and that is much better now when taking it out of my pocket.

Maddog61

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Same here. I installed the free version of "lux" from the marketplace. Much better now.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
So, I think the whole lot of confusion is with the definition of baseline brightness. I changed mine from 60% to 80% and that has made a very big difference with how everything looks. Vids, pics and the pocket issues have been alleviated.

What's odd with the brightness feature is when I put it on 80%, the screen still gets really dim under different lighting conditions. However, if I uncheck automatic brightness, the screen jumps to the 80% and is super bright. So, what I'm thinking is baseline has something to do with backlight and not brightness. Because now the colors seem to pop more and my battery does not die any faster. In fact I noticed that my screen is using less energy. Odd!

People have led me to believe that baseline means the dimmest that a phone would go to or something of the sort. But if that were the case, since I changed mine to 80% it should be substantially brighter all the time as compared to where it was on 60%. Definitely not the case. Any who.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon