Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By physioprof
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default fast battery drain issues fyi...

    for anyone having unusually fast battery drain...which i was having with my brand new G2...i discovered UNchecking (under settings, security, phone administrators) 'Android Device Manager' (allow ADM to lock or erase a lost device)...SUBSTANTIALLY increases my battery life. with this checked/enabled, and NOT using the phone at ALL...almost all notifications turned off...wifi, bluetooth, data, sync etc off...a lot of bloatware disabled...screen brightness at only 25%...no additional apps or widgets installed...my battery would go from 100% to 20% in 12 hours or less! since unchecking this feature...my battery is now at 96% after 10 hours! (also will note it had very minimal use today)

    i couldn't find where anyone else has posted this info...if so, sorry for the duplication. i am so thrilled to discover this...i just had to share my findings! and hope it might be helpful other users...
  2. #2  

    Default Re: fast battery drain issues fyi...

    I will give this a test tomorrow. My phone normally sets in my car during my eight hour shift and loses about 4% battery. I'll enable it before my shift and see if there is an increase in drain and report back.

    Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: fast battery drain issues fyi...

    will be great to hear your results...thanks! i tried everything i could figure out to do for the last week to no avail...had to charge it every night..and i wasn't even using it! that just can't be right!
  4. #4  
    frifred's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

    Default Re: fast battery drain issues fyi...

    Glad that worked for you. But, I actually activated ADM last week and have noticed no appreciable additional drain on my battery. In fact, I don't really have any battery issues at all. Have had my G2 about 2 months now.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: fast battery drain issues fyi...

    Quote Originally Posted by frifred View Post
    Glad that worked for you. But, I actually activated ADM last week and have noticed no appreciable additional drain on my battery. In fact, I don't really have any battery issues at all. Have had my G2 about 2 months now.
    interesting...i will have to activate it again and see what happens. where the phone is located it gets a very weak signal...so possibly that has something to do with it?
  6. #6  
    frifred's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

    Default Re: fast battery drain issues fyi...

    Quote Originally Posted by corneredcat View Post
    interesting...i will have to activate it again and see what happens. where the phone is located it gets a very weak signal...so possibly that has something to do with it?
    That could be. I have a strong signal, where I am most of the time.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: fast battery drain issues fyi...

    Quote Originally Posted by corneredcat View Post
    will be great to hear your results...thanks! i tried everything i could figure out to do for the last week to no avail...had to charge it every night..and i wasn't even using it! that just can't be right!
    Ran the test tonight. Activated ADM, car sat in same parking spot as always for eight hours. Battery still only lost 4% as usual. No difference on my phone.

    Posted via Android Central App
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: fast battery drain issues fyi...

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ Jones View Post
    Ran the test tonight. Activated ADM, car sat in same parking spot as always for eight hours. Battery still only lost 4% as usual. No difference on my phone.

    Posted via Android Central App
    thanks JJ...good to know! that leads me to believe it must be due to the weak signal. i appreciate your help in knowing it isn't necessarily due to the setting...
  9. #9  
    qisdtech's Avatar

    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

    Default Re: fast battery drain issues fyi...

    This was a great tip. on Tuesday my phone was off the charger for 15 hours and was down to 38% battery. Nothing major installed, 3 gmail accounts, twitter. Location services and bluetooth off. Screen time was 1 hr and 16 minutes.
    I turned OFF the ADM like you suggested and yesterday I was off the charger for 17 hours and had 80% left. Screen on time was 1hr and 48 minutes.

    Very interesting to say the least. Hopefully the battery life remains as good today.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: fast battery drain issues fyi...

    cool! glad it helped. curious what strength signal you 'average'? where my phone is located most of the day it only shows one to two bars.
  11. #11  
    qisdtech's Avatar

    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

    Default Re: fast battery drain issues fyi...

    I would say I average 2-3 bars. Our town is serviced by only one tower, and I think on days when it gets overloaded, the battery seems to take a hit, but for whatever reason the ADM being turned off has helped a bunch. Prior to 4.4.2, I had ADM on and had excellent battery life, with KitKat it has taken a hit, eventually I hope those issues get resolved by future updates.

    Quote Originally Posted by corneredcat View Post
    cool! glad it helped. curious what strength signal you 'average'? where my phone is located most of the day it only shows one to two bars.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: fast battery drain issues fyi...

    Quote Originally Posted by qisdtech View Post
    I would say I average 2-3 bars. Our town is serviced by only one tower, and I think on days when it gets overloaded, the battery seems to take a hit, but for whatever reason the ADM being turned off has helped a bunch. Prior to 4.4.2, I had ADM on and had excellent battery life, with KitKat it has taken a hit, eventually I hope those issues get resolved by future updates.
    thx. good to know... my phone is new and came with 4.4.2 so i have nothing to judge it against. and also hope future updates resolve that issue since the feature would be nice to leave on! oh well..i'll just have to remember to turn it on when i leave the house...
  13. #13  
    qisdtech's Avatar

    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

    Default Re: fast battery drain issues fyi...

    Well today didn't go nearly as well. Only 49 minutes of on screen time and I was down to 36% battery by 17 hours. Our tower was pretty overloaded today so we had little to no data. Cell Standby was the highest percentage. I guess the phone used more battery while trying to sync, check gmail etc with a poor data connection. Can't wait till we get LTE.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: fast battery drain issues fyi...

    My car charger only adds up to 5% of the battery life for an hour ride, I'm not sure if this is normal, anyone?
  15. #15  

    Default Re: fast battery drain issues fyi...

    Have you bought your phone from online store , like Kogan ?
    chance are you have bad battery that made in China and not in Korea as it should.
    Purchase a genuine battery and give yourself peace of mind.

    Care
  16. #16  

    Default Re: fast battery drain issues fyi...

    Quote Originally Posted by buenarc View Post
    My car charger only adds up to 5% of the battery life for an hour ride, I'm not sure if this is normal, anyone?
    If you are using the phone heavily while charging, it could be normal. Alternatively, the adapter and/or cable may only be providing low power trickle charge.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Jeff Smith13 likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: fast battery drain issues fyi...

    Try using powersaver for the phone battery to last.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: fast battery drain issues fyi...

    I bought an unbranded Verizon oem car charger made for the g2. it charges at 1700+ mah, which means I keep the screen on and bright running gps, streaming Spotify music over bt to my stereo, and interfacing with my car's bt obd2 adapter to run torque app and display and log telemetry. it still charges 5% an hour. if I keep the screen off and stream music stored on the phone over bt to my stereo and don't use Google navigation or torque it will charge probably 20% an hr. it's as fast as the stock wall charger, doing dead to full in about an hr and a half when the screen is off and it's not doing anything

    Sent from Tapatalk using my xposed VZW G2

Similar Threads

  1. Sprint signal issues
    By Kennyb123 in forum HTC One M8
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-19-2014, 10:25 PM
  2. HTC one m8 vs Samsung galaxy s5: battery life
    By thepurpleturtle in forum Phone Wars
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-19-2014, 08:49 AM
  3. Post 4.4. Battery Issues
    By PConly11 in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-16-2014, 08:44 AM
  4. How do you think the LTE will affect the moto g's battery life?
    By thepurpleturtle in forum Moto G (2013)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-14-2014, 11:15 PM
  5. samsung galaxy s3 mini battery problem
    By jaime wu in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 04:37 PM

Posting Permissions