Most pain free way of doing a FDR?

Bloodthirsty

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I've tried to live with the battery drain issues after the kit Kat update but it's driving me crazy. I hate doing a FDR but it looks like I might have to. Suggestions?

Posted via Android Central App

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've tried to live with the battery drain issues after the kit Kat update but it's driving me crazy. I hate doing a FDR but it looks like I might have to. Suggestions?

You could try booting into safe mode to see if battery drain continues or not before doing a FDR
Here is the link with info about safe mode from vzw
Safe Mode - LG G2

Last edited:

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
what is the best app to backup/restore text messages for factory reset? don't mind paying for it as long as it backs everything up 100%. I once used a free app (cant remember which) that screwed up the dates/times of the messages

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

Not really, you can not transfer all files that you want over USB. So try to backup all that you can.

I still mysteriously lost some contacts (I guess an LG glitch), and some files (I backed them up to Google Drive but they didn't transfer...still my mistake), and my sms until I reloaded my backed up sms to my trusty GS3...saved the files, and found a backup program that restored to KitKat.

Google actually auto restored all my apps, I reset the phone before I turned the new one on, so that was nice.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
For SMS/MMS backup, use SMS Backup & Restore app (it will handle the KitKat restoration, and prompt you accordingly since only one SMS/MMS app can write to the database), contacts should be backed up and restored automatically (remember to make all contacts added to the phone "Google Contacts"), pics and music can be backed up manually (although using Google+ to auto-backup photos is easier), system settings will be restored (wallpaper, WiFi config, etc),and most apps will be restored automatically by Google.

Remember that all the Google stuff is dependent on you having the Backup and Restore turned on, or else it won't work... In Settings go to Personal->Backup & reset and make sure "Back up my data" and "Automatic Restore" are ticked and the Backup account is one that you know the password for and will reuse, otherwise it doesn't work.

Of course, this is the VZW variant, so Verizon has some tools to do this, although I haven't used them in forever, so I can't really tell you how to use them unfortunately.

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Verizon had updated Backup Assistant into the new VZ Cloud. With VZ Cloud, you get 5GB for free. If you have been migrated to More Everything plans, you get 25GB. Over WiFi, it's backs up practically everything (texts, not to the beginning of time, but does back up MMS pictures)....contacts. videos, music, documents, call history log, etc. Do Factory Data Reset, install app and restore your content back down, over WiFi again, of course. The app has the top left 3 bar menu. Select Tools...then Select Factory Restore. It worked(s) great for me.