Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  • 4 Post By SactoKingsFan
  • 2 Post By JJ Jones
  • 1 Post By amenra
  • 1 Post By grunt0300
  • 2 Post By rong21
  • 2 Post By cevmkv
  • 1 Post By philosopherisdog
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Default Still happy with your phone?

I am due for an upgrade on my phone tomorrow and I currently have an iPhone. I am switching to Android and I am trying to decide which phone to get. I have been looking at the G2, M8, and S5. I have pretty much ruled out the S5 as I am not a huge fan of the mass amount of bloat ware or touchwiz.

So now I am stuck between the M8 and the G2. I know the G3 was announced, but since my phone is through work I need to update when my phone comes due or there is a chance I may loose my update to another employee (don't ask...it's BS).

I really like the form factor of the G2, but I am worried sine the phone was released last year if you guys are still happy with its performance.

Any comments are appreciated.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,444 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Default Re: Still happy with your phone?

Quote Originally Posted by cevmkv View Post
    I am due for an upgrade on my phone tomorrow and I currently have an iPhone. I am switching to Android and I am trying to decide which phone to get. I have been looking at the G2, M8, and S5. I have pretty much ruled out the S5 as I am not a huge fan of the mass amount of bloat ware or touchwiz.
    So now I am stuck between the M8 and the G2. I know the G3 was announced, but since my phone is through work I need to update when my phone comes due or there is a chance I may loose my update to another employee (don't ask...it's BS).

I really like the form factor of the G2, but I am worried sine the phone was released last year if you guys are still happy with its performance.

Any comments are appreciated.
    I don't own one, but the G2 is still a great phone. I would actually still take it over the G3 because of its smaller size. But between that and the M8, I'd go with the M8 because of the front facing speakers and normal button placement. The G2 also as fairly annoying software, but maybe not as bad as TouchWiz, and with less lag.
    mumfoau likes this.

Still very happy with my G2 after ~7 months. Haven't had any significant issues. Great battery life, fast charging, nice display, minimal bezels, fast w/ no lag, very good camera and wireless charging on Verizon variant.

Even though the G3 will be available soon, I'm thinking about keeping the G2 for a while. The battery life is just too good and I really like the custom ROM I'm currently using.

The main reasons to get the M8 would be the speakers, Sense and the aluminum body. If those aren't deciding factors, then I'd go with the G2.

Sent from my G2 running SOKP
    UJ95x, rong21, cevmkv and 1 others like this.

A big reason I went with the G2 back in November was because it was, in a way, future proof. It has the Snapdragon 800, which is just now being surpassed by some devices all these months later.

Not sure why people talk bad about the UI. I for one like it. Lots of nice touches that make it very easy and enjoyable to use. One thing for example is the small pop up that rolls down from the top when you're using an app and get a phone call. Most phones take you directly to an incoming call screen and away from what you're doing. G2 allows you to accept or decline the call from a small pop up.

To put it another way, I'm still pleased enough with the G2 that I will not be upgrading to the G3. Just doesn't seem like a big enough step forward for me.

As for the M8, I've never used one so I can't comment. However, I can point out that both phones are very close to each other size-wise, so why not go with the one that has the larger screen?

Posted via Android Central App
    cevmkv and mumfoau like this.

I love my G2...only had mine for 2 weeks though.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    AKFL3TCH3R likes this.

Global Posts
    4,424 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Android 6.0 (stock)

I bought mine about two weeks ago, and i absolutely love it. Running stock 4.4.2, and it's as good as my rooted SGSIII. I have the AT&T model, so i can only speak about that one. I spent a lot of time playing with the HTC One(M8), but i found the build quality was very poor. Just my personal opinion. Good luck with your choice.
    amenra likes this.

Had mine since last October, and I love it!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

I've had mine since December and I still love it. The performance is still on par with the new phones in my opinion.

Have the G2 since it came out, battery is still awesome, you'll get use to the back button in no time. Knock on/off run perfect on kitkat, you'll love that feature, no more finding a button to turn on/off the screen.

Like Grunt I came from the Galaxy S3 that was rooted and running custome ROMS.

Love the G2 so far, haven't felt the need to root, not sure what the fuss is about bloatware on this phone. I like the stock UI, beats Touchwiz by a country mile. Haven't felt the need to use Nova Launcher either. Love the knock on and knock off functionality.

Battery life is phenomenal! Why pay $200 more for an M8 when this phone is just as good?
    grunt0300 and mumfoau like this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Well pulled the trigger and I am so happy I did. I love the G2!!! Thanks for all the recommendations! !

mumfoau and scottysize like this.

Glad you like it. Awesome phone

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

I'm about a day away from being 9 mos late to the party but I just got my white 32GB G2 today in trade for my 32GB iPhone 5. It is a VERY nice device with great battery and an even better camera. Google Now Launcher and my basic apps and I'm good to go. Was at 98% when I got it and am now at 45% but it says based on my last 3 hrs of usage I've got another 7 hrs left in me!!! O_O

Short Story:
    Have the M8. It sucks. Too big and too small. The screen is too small for the size of the phone due in part because of the front facing speakers. If I watched movies on it, I'd love the speakers, but I don't want to watch movies on it because the screen is 5". .2 doesn't sound like a lot, but it is when you are use to looking at the extra .2. I know, it's nitpicking.

I also have the G2, and it's a great phone. The 5.2" display is great and I use it to watch Netflix with earbuds in. I mean, isn't that how we watch/listen to things on our phones anyway? I know I do. I'd be using the G2 as my daily carry if it wasn't such a great little phone. I'll need to explain that one below.

For now, if you need a phone today, get the G2. If you can wait until July, I'd get the G3. That's what I'm getting when it comes out to replace my M8. I am NOT replacing my G2.

Now for the rest of the long story about the G2:
    We live out in the sticks and only have 3 options for internet. DSL at 300Kbs up and 2Mbs down, Satellite, or wireless radios shooting towers. None of those three options are very good. We had the DSL until VZW finally gave us 4G in our area a year ago. Wifey's work picked up a phone for her, so I had an extra smart phone on my plan with unlimited data. So I picked up a WiFi extender and plugged it into the WAN port of my router, then turned on the Hotspot with Verizon for my extra phone. Now we have 4G Internet throughout the house. The only problem was the phones I had where not cutting the mustard. We had to reboot everything daily. The Hotspot would intermittently drop for no reason. All kinds of problems. I tried an old Razr, an S3, even the dreaded iPhone. None of them ran great. Then I plugged in my G2 that I was carrying at the time. I thought, "Well if this works, I'll just get another G2." Yup. It works. I can't even remember the last time I rebooted anything. What a great phone. So why didn't I just buy another G2? I got caught up in the M8 hype. I thought, "Hey if the G2's this good, imagine how much better the M8'd be." Ya right. Talk about a step back in time. You don't realize it, but going from a 5.2" to a 5" display is noticeable. Especially when the phone size is bigger for the smaller screen. Bring on the G3 I say!

Man I'm crazy. lol Sitting here trying to figure out why I'm still watching reviews etc for a phone I've been using since Wednesday and absolutely love! That's what's causes me to constantly switch (or attempt to switch) devices so much. Shame on me!

Quote Originally Posted by scottysize View Post
    Short Story:
    Have the M8. It sucks. Too big and too small. The screen is too small for the size of the phone due in part because of the front facing speakers. If I watched movies on it, I'd love the speakers, but I don't want to watch movies on it because the screen is 4.7". I mean, really? 4.7 is just a touch bigger than an iPhone which is really tiny compared to the M8. No, don't get the M8.

I also have the G2, and it's a great phone. The 5.2" display is great and I use it to watch Netflix with earbuds in. I mean, isn't that how we watch/listen to things on our phones anyway? I know I do. I'd be using the G2 as my daily carry if it wasn't such a great little phone. I'll need to explain that one below.

For now, if you need a phone today, get the G2. If you can wait until July, I'd get the G3. That's what I'm getting when it comes out to replace my M8. I am NOT replacing my G2.

Now for the rest of the long story about the G2:
    We live out in the sticks and only have 3 options for internet. DSL at 300Kbs up and 2Mbs down, Satellite, or wireless radios shooting towers. None of those three options are very good. We had the DSL until VZW finally gave us 4G in our area a year ago. Wifey's work picked up a phone for her, so I had an extra smart phone on my plan with unlimited data. So I picked up a WiFi extender and plugged it into the WAN port of my router, then turned on the Hotspot with Verizon for my extra phone. Now we have 4G Internet throughout the house. The only problem was the phones I had where not cutting the mustard. We had to reboot everything daily. The Hotspot would intermittently drop for no reason. All kinds of problems. I tried an old Razr, an S3, even the dreaded iPhone. None of them ran great. Then I plugged in my G2 that I was carrying at the time. I thought, "Well if this works, I'll just get another G2." Yup. It works. I can't even remember the last time I rebooted anything. What a great phone. So why didn't I just buy another G2? I got caught up in the M8 hype. I thought, "Hey if the G2's this good, imagine how much better the M8'd be." Ya right. Talk about a step back in time. You don't realize it, but going from a 5.2" to a 4.7" display is noticeable. Especially when the phone size is bigger for the smaller screen. Bring on the G3 I say!
    Great story and I would pick the G2 over the M8 also, have had the G2 since release date. But the M8 does not have a 4.7 inch screen it has a 5 inch screen.

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    Great story and I would pick the G2 over the M8 also, have had the G2 since release date. But the M8 does not have a 4.7 inch screen it has a 5 inch screen.
    Whoops. I was reading on the new iPhone specs when I wrote this. Posting amended. Thanks!

I just bought one off of Swappa about two weeks ago, and this thing is fantastic...with one sort of major caveat -

I'm having the music playback error on my Google Play Music All Access. It is very annoying.
    mumfoau likes this.

Have had it since Jan. Love the phone. Came off an iPhone 4. Love Android. The camera is awesome as well as the screen. ONLY complaint is my iPhone plays music louder than my G 2. Big deal to me as I work out everyday with the phone. Other than that, very very happy with my choice. Don't see going back to apple. Too much freedom on android.

I'm actually more in love with mine since rooting. Used the super easy towelroot method. After rooting I was able to freeze a couple more unused apps that I couldn't simply disable stock.
    Battery life has gotten even better, not drastically, but better none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeft356 View Post
    Have had it since Jan. Love the phone. Came off an iPhone 4. Love Android. The camera is awesome as well as the screen. ONLY complaint is my iPhone plays music louder than my G 2. Big deal to me as I work out everyday with the phone. Other than that, very very happy with my choice. Don't see going back to apple. Too much freedom on android.

if you root you can install a sound mod and jack the audio up.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

two words LOVE MINE. Seriously owned it for about 9 months and it still seems fast and the screen is huge. No reading glasses needed.