Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LG G2 under contract/ questions about sim?

I have been reading on a couple websites that the Verizon LG G2 are unlocked out of the box basically meaning you can pop a T-Mobile or ATT sim in them and run on their network. Do you have to root it before you do this? Or do you have to flash the phone first? Does someone have a walkthrough? I also watched some Youtube videos that are showing people doing this, that says it will show the R over the signal meter and a ? on the data but you won't be roaming. I know you have to change APN settings and all that but the reason I ask this is even though its under contract one month I might have to suspend service because you never know what will happen in the economy we have these days.
    I got the phone because we were starting work and needed a good solid phone incase one of us broke down, the free phones they give these days are crap and are ok for a little while but that is about it. I think they gave us a Motorola Razr, the original flip Razr. Anyhow, I thought if for some reason I couldn't pay the bill for a month and had to suspend I could use a Net10 ATT sim card and just buy one of those minute cards for like 20 bucks and use that until I could reconnect the phone.
    I might should have went with prepaid, but I didn't really have the cash to shell out 99 bucks for the 4s that they had all at once. I don't particularly care for the Net10 prepaid phones, they are tiny and I have big hands for a woman and I was afraid I would drop it. I have had 18 days so I can't return it without having a hefty ETF, I guess I could take it to TMobile and trade it and let them pay the ETF's.
    I just seen people using other sim cards in their G2 and figured it might be worth a shot to try it out.
    Yes I am completely new to this stuff, this is my first smartphone. I have a technical mind that likes to play with the inner workings and see what I can make it do so that is another reason why I ask about these things.

Default Re: LG G2 under contract/ questions about sim?

Quote Originally Posted by April Southerland View Post
    I have been reading on a couple websites that the Verizon LG G2 are unlocked out of the box basically meaning you can pop a T-Mobile or ATT sim in them and run on their network. Do you have to root it before you do this? Or do you have to flash the phone first? Does someone have a walkthrough? I also watched some Youtube videos that are showing people doing this, that says it will show the R over the signal meter and a ? on the data but you won't be roaming. I know you have to change APN settings and all that but the reason I ask this is even though its under contract one month I might have to suspend service because you never know what will happen in the economy we have these days.
    I got the phone because we were starting work and needed a good solid phone incase one of us broke down, the free phones they give these days are crap and are ok for a little while but that is about it. I think they gave us a Motorola Razr, the original flip Razr. Anyhow, I thought if for some reason I couldn't pay the bill for a month and had to suspend I could use a Net10 ATT sim card and just buy one of those minute cards for like 20 bucks and use that until I could reconnect the phone.
    I might should have went with prepaid, but I didn't really have the cash to shell out 99 bucks for the 4s that they had all at once. I don't particularly care for the Net10 prepaid phones, they are tiny and I have big hands for a woman and I was afraid I would drop it. I have had 18 days so I can't return it without having a hefty ETF, I guess I could take it to TMobile and trade it and let them pay the ETF's.
    I just seen people using other sim cards in their G2 and figured it might be worth a shot to try it out.
    Yes I am completely new to this stuff, this is my first smartphone. I have a technical mind that likes to play with the inner workings and see what I can make it do so that is another reason why I ask about these things.
    I've seen/heard this too. Supposedly the Verizon G2 is unlocked, but I tried my wife's AT&T card in my G2 and it didn't work. I also know another user who tried an AT&T card in his phone and it didn't work either. Both of these tries where before 4.4.2, so who knows. Maybe it works now? If you can, go into one of the stores and have them try a SIM. If it works, your good. If not, it's free to try out.