Just downloaded new update (Yuck BTW) and how do I close down background apps now??

utkgrad101

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
So I downloaded the new system update this morning - which will take a LOT of getting used to btw, but how do I now stop all the apps that are running in the background? Before the update of course I held down the home screen button and did clear all. But I can't do that now. This is driving me nuts as I do my best to save my data and my battery life.

Thanks!!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Can you tell us what phone you are running and I have to suspect you are now using Lollipop? Sounds like a Samsung device as well? If so what was the settings button should bring up the open apps, when it does that you tap the "X" in the top right corner to close that app out.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You may have heard this before, but it's not necessary (nor actually good for battery-saving) to habitually close apps. Android wants to keep RAM reasonably full of open apps, so it will automatically open some if others are closed out. If you habitually close apps, then you can set up a vicious cycle of close-open-close-open that uses more battery. Just let the system manage the RAM. See these articles for more info:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-s/380592-guide-ram-android.html
RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
So I downloaded the new system update this morning - which will take a LOT of getting used to btw, but how do I now stop all the apps that are running in the background? Before the update of course I held down the home screen button and did clear all. But I can't do that now. This is driving me nuts as I do my best to save my data and my battery life.
Thanks!!

If your using the G2 on the bottom of the screen you will see a square. Push that once and the apps running will show up. Once cleared push the square icon again and it will disappear.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Yes it's the square button, also hold on the Square button and it pulls up settings menu just like the settings button. Found that out by mistake. So you can get rid of the settings button.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC