Battery life

jtay

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I drive a truck, and my day goes like this. A four hour drive to my first stop that involves listening to music and chatting for most of the trip, then that's pretty much it. I check my phone for any missed calls or messages when I finish a delivery, so I might unlock the screen ten times throughout the day, but rarely do I make another call. Seventeen to eighteen hours after I leave home, I still had 75-80% left, and now I'm lucky to have 50. I used to be able to charge it from a usb on the electronic log system in the truck, and now all that does is slow the discharge rate.

It's gotten better since changing to LTE/CDMA, and turning off Facebook notifications. Crappy thing is, I didn't have to do this before.

bcantana

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Get rid of Facebook app altogether and just use Chrome for the moblie version of Facebook. I re-installed the Facebook app last night just to start adding things back to see how battery life was impacted and my battery started tanking again. Clash of Clans kills it too, but no way I am giving that up. I can play it on my LG GPad 8.3 (still on KitKat) and use the mobile hotspot on my G2 and there is minimal drain. I think there are still just a bunch of apps that don't play well with Lollipop.

jhb3

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I also have horrible battery life with barely using the phone now after the lollipop update. Also 5 hours or more to recharge the battery. The phone may go from 100% to 97% over an hour and then within 30 minutes be at 82% all with not doing anything but checking the battery level. No apps running, no emails sent or anything. The android system seems to be using 35 to 50% of the battery used. Verizon and LG are both unresponsive to the problem. I am certain there is a serious defect in the software for lollipop. Factory resets did nothing and I know its not a third party app because I didn't bother after the 3rd reset to even add anything back. The update pretty much ruined the phone for all practical purposes since if I actually use the phone for anything the battery drops 1% every couple minutes. Before the update I could use it most of the day and still have battery left. No facebook app on the phone either. Just the Verizon bloatware. Did put in an equipment complaint to the FCC and Verizon's "executive" service group hasn't been of any help either. Even plugged into the LG charger it will not charge unless your not using the phone. I think it actually discharges faster than the charger can replenish it now. Wish I never let the software "upgrade" to lollipop.

escondido

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Same thing happens to me. It discharges somewhat normally until about 90-95% and then it just drops like a rock from there. Usually at about 60% by lunchtime and dead by 5-6 pm. I used to have 30-40% left by the end of the day around 10 pm.
I don't think it is lollipop itself as I ran a custom lollipop rom before this and the battery wasn't nearly this bad. Something with this stock LG/Verizon version isn't right. I'm seriously considering selling this phone and buying a different phone. There just aren't any phones that have both good battery AND a good camera like my G2 used to.

Matt Varnell

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I did a factory reset after lollipop. Everything was great including battery life. Now a week or so ago, battery life has been terrible with no changes. Like 4-5 hours dead now. Battery manager shows that it is android system killing the battery. Not sure why to do now.

razr maxximus

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Things have improved quite a bit the last few days, by me doing absolutely nothing different? Dunno, can't explain.

Mine seems to be getting better as well. I did a factory reset two weeks ago and noticed no change, but i agree, the last few days feel......different.
We will see.

jkn1946

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I may have discovered the "glich" for me in power usage - I noted that when my phone uses the 3G network it heats up and increases power usage tremendously. In 4G usage the phone is cool and power usage is reasonable. I have the network setting as LTE/CDMA .I am a light user-no streaming, just text and phone and very light net usage. The phone auto switched to 3G this morning and dropped 35% in 3 hours (100% to 65%), heating up in the process, i.e., warming to the touch without active use. It has auto switched back to 4G and has cooled to the touch.

labowski986

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I may have discovered the "glich" for me in power usage - I noted that when my phone uses the 3G network it heats up and increases power usage tremendously. In 4G usage the phone is cool and power usage is reasonable. I have the network setting as LTE/CDMA .I am a light user-no streaming, just text and phone and very light net usage. The phone auto switched to 3G this morning and dropped 35% in 3 hours (100% to 65%), heating up in the process, i.e., warming to the touch without active use. It has auto switched back to 4G and has cooled to the touch.

I would agree that my phone uses much more battery and heats up when I'm in a 3g area. My phone doesn't switch unless 4g isn't available. Using WiFi definitely uses more battery and the phone heats up. I don't recall this issue before Lollypop. My battery continues to perform worse than it used to and it is a little inconsistent. I don't stream music or play games. I read emails, watch the odd short video, text and make phone calls. My phone is at 100% at 6.00am and by 4 to 4.30 it is at 15 to 20% at best. Before Lollypop it would be in the 30%+ range.
What's this Lte cdma setting I've heard about. I can't find it anywhere?

jhb3

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Yes, thats the problem. Battery life seems good for some periods of time then it's gone. The lollipop update is a disaster for so many people. At my work 3 of 10 people have android phones with the lolipop update. All hate it, all lost major battery life. Lollipop will be the best thing to move people over to apple. To me it's unreal how such a horrible update could be released. At least when apple screws up they address it publicly, Google just keeps silent while customers are left with crap phone software.

jtay

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
What's this Lte cdma setting I've heard about. I can't find it anywhere?

In the settings menu, tap 'more' under wireless networks, then mobile networks>system select>network mode.

Interestingly, when I just looked, mine was back to global. What's up with that?

JJCook

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I've found that the Wi-Fi burns battery. I turned off the setting that continues to search for Wi-Fi when it's turned off. That seems to help.

escondido

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I finally couldn't take it anymore. Not only was the battery draining in about 8 hours of VERY light use, but it started to get super laggy and annoying.

Anyway I flashed a 5.1.1 AOSP rom last night. Battery life today has been amazing. I am at 85% with 1.5 hours screen on time. Been off the charger for about 6 hours. I am a happy G2 owner again.

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Why does the music app show its one of the things draining my battery (battery doctor) even though I'm not playing music? It's at around 3.5% or so.

Also what could drain the battery 12% over night, phone was charged last night and left alone till this morning.

Last edited:

jhb3

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I think it is a problem with the android OS. Had the same issue where not using the phone in a short period of time it would eat up a lot of battery. Sometimes overnight it would not use much and then other nights I go to bed at 70% and it will be down around 20% in the morning. No trigger that I know of caused it. Seemed random. Anyway I got fed up with having to charge it all the time so I went back to the old software that I actually like the look of better and get my great battery life back again. It was a mistake for me to accept the lollipop update but I did give it 5 or 6 weeks and it doesn't seem Google/LG/Verizon has any fix coming soon. I know someone on the 5.1.0 version of lollipop and they still the fast battery drain issues as well. Mine was on the 5.0.2 version so even the next one up still has the issues. In my opinion both kitkat and jellybean are way better than lollipop.

jhb3

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I rooted my G2 and flashed jellybean back on it. After 26+ hours I am at 68% battery life and no spikes in the battery drain. I was charging twice a day on lollipop and had been turning the phone off at night just so I could avoid charging it further. I don't think there is any setting on lollipop to stop the crazy battery drain. My phone was out of warranty so I went ahead with trying to save it and it worked. I had never rooted or flashed a phone before but it was not that difficult and really minus the reading time to research it took about 20 minutes to get it back to a great phone again. Everything works great now just like it used to before the updates. It was kind of a drastic step but worth the effort.

escondido

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I rooted my G2 and flashed jellybean back on it. After 26+ hours I am at 68% battery life and no spikes in the battery drain. I was charging twice a day on lollipop and had been turning the phone off at night just so I could avoid charging it further. I don't think there is any setting on lollipop to stop the crazy battery drain. My phone was out of warranty so I went ahead with trying to save it and it worked. I had never rooted or flashed a phone before but it was not that difficult and really minus the reading time to research it took about 20 minutes to get it back to a great phone again. Everything works great now just like it used to before the updates. It was kind of a drastic step but worth the effort.
What made you decide to go to JB rather than kitkat? Just curious.