Contacts Question

sbudaj

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I had to restore my contacts from a backup. The backup was made from the contacts before they were lost.

Now almost all of the contacts have 2 accounts in each contact. Not 2 duplicate entries for each contact, (there is only one contact for each person showing in the list), but if I edit a contact, within the edit screen, the contact information is listed twice with 2 "Backup Assistant Plus" accounts. I do not sync to Google, so none of my contacts are in the Google account.

Any idea how to fix this so that each contact only has one account?

Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Export your contacts. Import the file to your Google account (you'll get a choice when you import).

Sync the contacts to Google.

Go to Google Contacts to make sure they all synced.

Go into airplane mode. Delete all your contacts.

Go to the Google Contacts site and use their tools to fix everything up. You can merge, delete, edit (a lot easier than on the phone), etc.

When you're done, turn off airplane mode and sync your contacts.

If you still don't want to keep them on Google Contacts (you should - if someone drives over your phone, there's no way to retrieve anything from it), export them, go into airplane mode, delete them all, delete them from the website, import them to Phone and you'll have them all properly edited and only on the phone. Then turn off airplane mode.

(Using airplane mode is to prevent syncing when you don't want it to happen - no connection, no possibility of syncing.)

sbudaj

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I wasn't clear, it isn't duplicate contacts. It is 2 accounts with the same data twice in one contact. uploadfromtaptalk1440813083362.jpg

I've attached a sample screen shot. Where it says "account", there are 2 icons for the same account. When I open a contact to edit it, the same information appears twice consecutively in the contact. However only one contact shows in the list of contacts.

I can't delete the info from the 2nd part of the contact.

Steve

sbudaj

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, I figured it out. Had to open each contact then open the menu and select "Separate", then delete one of the contacts. A long process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12