screen replacement help

theobserver75

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi, my phone fell from a table and hit the floor pretty hard. now the screen shows tear and displays colors incorrectly but the digitizer is fine this seems to be lcd issue only. I was thinking i could just buy the lcd replacement from ebay and have it replaced with the digitizer i have. is this a good idea? did someone (anyone) ever try this? need your opinion please.

theobserver75

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
hi thanks for your reply, I looked at opening the phone myself but I don't know a thing about phones and I was certain I would end up wrecking it and what I read suggested that this was not an easy repair. The phone looks like this it is much more noticeable the higher the brightness goes and seems to affect white text and colors stretching them across the screen mostly20160209_141029.jpg 20160209_140850.jpg when the brightness is lowered it is less noticeable but it eventually opaques. Also some images seem to be blinking fast like if a lamp was broken do you think it could be a loose connection?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It appears to be a broken LCD layer. That comes complete with the LED layer and the digitizer. Replacing the digitizer from the original screen requires removing it from the original screen intact. The labor for that would probably be more than the retail price of the phone. (The digitizer is usually removed in small pieces. The glue has to be heated just enough to lt it come off without tearing the screen underneath, and not enough to melt the screen underneath - which is only a few degrees difference. It's almost impossible to get the whole digitizer to that temperature evenly, even with some experience.)

Having a repair shop replace the screen will probably end up costing a lot less than opening the phone yourself, breaking something, having to fix that, breaking something else, etc., etc. (New techs normally break 5 or 6 screens before replacing a digitizer without breaking anything - on dead phones, of course. Even replacing the whole screen is something they practice a few times before working on a customer's phone.)

theobserver75

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Oh I see, I feared that would be it. Yes I read that the screen comes with all the components glued together and disassembling it would be extremely difficult. I will replace the screen entirely. Thank you for your help!