Jelly Bean is here!

hokie_prof

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Woot woot! I don't know what I'm doing yet, but so far my phone is running much more smoothly than it was on Ice Cream Sandwich. If only we could fix the battery life issues...

KingDufus

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad the update went smoothly! I'm still on ICS because I found a way to enable the Hidden Menu (LG/Verizon have blocked this) in order to switch networks and to actually be able to use a GSM SIM card. I want to do this so I can still use my phone when I travel.
Someone at the Cricket Users thread created an app originally for the LG Spectrum that allows the hidden menu access and it happens to work on the Intuition as well.
Would someone be willing to try it with the new Jelly Bean update to see if it still works?
Here's the thread:
LG Spectrum VS920 Flashing To Cricket/MetroPCS - Page 2
Post #18 has a download link to the apk.
Thanks!

hokie_prof

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm too chicken to try anything new and experimental on the Intuition. My phone hasn't been running well for the last few months. I've wanted to throw it out the window. Jelly Bean seems to have transformed it. It's running so smoothly now - even my battery life seems a little bit better. I'm afraid to rock the boat. It's fantastic that you have a way to use the phone when you travel, however.

mrsmoos

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
My phone tried to update tonight-I told it to "remind me later" because I had read horror stories of the earlier update. So what's the word? Update or wait?

hokie_prof

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
My phone tried to update tonight-I told it to "remind me later" because I had read horror stories of the earlier update. So what's the word? Update or wait?
You should definitely get the update this time. You'll feel like you have a brand-new phone.

lord dredd

May 13, 2011
Visit site
dear KD , would you be kind enough to share how to get the gsm working on this
would be utterly grateful dear mate .

- - - Updated - - -

I'm glad the update went smoothly! I'm still on ICS because I found a way to enable the Hidden Menu (LG/Verizon have blocked this) in order to switch networks and to actually be able to use a GSM SIM card. I want to do this so I can still use my phone when I travel.
Someone at the Cricket Users thread created an app originally for the LG Spectrum that allows the hidden menu access and it happens to work on the Intuition as well.
Would someone be willing to try it with the new Jelly Bean update to see if it still works?
Here's the thread:
LG Spectrum VS920 Flashing To Cricket/MetroPCS - Page 2
Post #18 has a download link to the apk.
Thanks!

dear KD , would you be kind enough to share how to get the gsm working on this
would be utterly grateful dear mate .

KingDufus

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Here are the steps to enable GSM on the LG Intuition:
1. You must be on ICS. This will not work if you have upgraded to Jelly Bean. On Jelly Bean, Verizon blocked access to the GSM menu items.
2. Download the apk file from this thread: LG Spectrum VS920 Flashing To Cricket/MetroPCS - Page 2
(post #18) Thanks to glitch3455 for this app. Install the apk.
3. Turn off your phone, and insert a GSM SIM card of your choice.
4. Turn the phone back on. You might get some error messages that the sim card is not recognized.
5. Open the app that you installed (It's called LG Spectrum Hidden Menu)
6. Click on "LG Spectrum(VS920) Service Menu
7. Click on "System Selection"
8. Click on "Network Mode"
9. From this menu you can select whatever GSM mode you want. I think I chose "GSM"
10. Exit out of the app. Give the phone a couple of minutes to find the network, and you should get a signal.

Note that I have not tried to get DATA yet. You might have to manually enter APN's for your carrier, but I don't know how to do that.
Let me know if this works!

esasoft

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
You are taking wrong steps to enable GSM.
To enable it, you need to do the following:
1. Install LG Intuition drivers (View attachment LG_VZW_United_WHQL_v2.7.1.rar), upgrade your phone to Android 4.1.2 if not upgraded already;
2. Enable USB debugging in Developer options of your phone, connect it to PC and get ROOT ! (download, unpack and run this:
View attachment vs950ROOTImpactor_0.9.14.part2.rar
View attachment vs950ROOTImpactor_0.9.14.part3.rar
View attachment vs950ROOTImpactor_0.9.14.part1.rar);
3. Open build.prop file and change all strings (there are two of them) ro.build.target.operator=VZW to ro.build.target.operator=OPEN, save the file and reboot;
4. Install the program called "Network" from Play Market, run it and change your network mode to whatever you want.

To enable data connection, you must create your own APN using Settings. The easiest way to do it is to insert your GSM SIM card into another phone that natively supports GSM and has data connection working, and copy the APN parameters from there. there is an easier method. Download and install "APN Backup & Restore" app from Play Market. Start it, go to Options menu and select "Disable ICS check". Close it. Now install ROM Toolbox Pro or another similar program that can make any user app a system app. In ROM Toolbox Pro, go to Applications Manager, find "APN Backup & Restore", tap on it, then go to Advanced tab and press Convert to system app. After conversion is done, reboot your phone.
Now start APN Backup & Restore and press Backup APNs. Close it. Go to ApnBackupRestore folder (in the root of SD card or phone) and delete all files in it.
Unpack this file View attachment apns-20150709015359.rar into ApnBackupRestore folder. Now start APN Backup & Restore and press Restore APNs, select your unpacked XML file and wait a few seconds until the process is done. Reboot your phone.
Now you have APN settings of 528 different operators around the world already built into your VS950. You can insert any SIM card of almost any provider and you will have data transmission and internet connection.
You may then delete APN Backup & Restore, ROM Toolbox Pro and ApnBackupRestore folder.
NOTE: if you make a hard reset or reflash your phone, you'll need to repeat all the procedure.

Good luck ! :)))

Last edited: