Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anti-Virus Program saved me from LG Intuition firmware virus

Well my story seems a little strange, but hear me out.

For weeks I had been getting a prompt to update my firmware. At the time I had an anti-virus program installed on my LG Intuition. The update wouldn't install over Verizon's network. Verizon staff said this was strange because it should install over their network. It kept prompting me to connect my phone to my computer via USB and use Verizon's software assistant. I finally gave in and hooked my phone up, The moment I tried to update that way my anti-virus program on my computer flagged Verizon's own website as containing a win32.malgen virus.

Now, I don't know about you, but this seems very suspicious. Why? Because my contract is up in 6 months. And the 1 year warranty for my phone just expired a month ago. So their response is, "Tough twinkies, the phone's out of warranty." So I cannot get updates any longer. And if their phone's update software contains viruses, guess what? I don't want their updates anyhow. I'd rather use old firmware, instead of getting viruses on my phone.

And I finally realized what's going on here with these industries. They don't make any money off selling you a smart phone. They make money off of the monthly service fees. When your contract expires, they know they might face mass defections from people who don't like their shady business practices, so it is in their best interest to try and keep you hooked and they will do whatever it takes.

I explained my problem to Verizon and they claimed there was nothing they could do, my phone's software is defective. We troubleshooted this problem all the way up to LG who wasn't any more help than they were. Why didn't they put Google on the phone. They're the ones that design the operating system. .Then after 6 hours of troubleshooting with no success, he/she eventually ended up trying to sell me another phone, trying to extend my contract for another 2 years. See? Now you get it? I understand now.

Someone needs to take this nonsense to the press. I think they do this on purpose to make your smart phone inoperable. Luckily my anti-virus programs caught their evil ways.

No one replaces their computer or land line house phone every year. I think it's just as ridiculous to expect us to replace our smart phones every year.

Global Posts
    10,643 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Anti-Virus Program saved me from LG Intuition firmware virus

So the theory is that either LG or Verizon or both is/are sabotaging your device to get you to sign a contract? I am not sure LG or Verizon would risk their multi-billion dollar companies on something as trivial as upgrading budget phones to newer contracts. Also, LG would gain nothing from that, and because they actually produce the software and OTA scripts - this might be a non-starter.

Okay, all that aside - If you believe your device is already infected with something, double check, your device protection plan may cover a replacement via Asurion or another partner for the normal claim cost. Here is the information about the update: Install System Updates - LG Intuition™ . The Software Upgrade Assistant is definitely not a virus, but it also shouldn't be needed. Virus - No; Old and dusty - Yeah, probably. This is an 18 month old budget device and LG has moved far beyond it in terms of utility and user interface.

That OTA is most likely the bump from ICS to Jelly Bean (assuming it's software update VS95022B) and it has been available for about 5 months. Prior to considering any update, it is strongly recommended to back up your contacts, photos, etc - and if you're going to do that much anyways (or have already done so) then you may as well do a quick cache clear and factory reset. Once connected to the mobile network again, you should shortly be prompted for the OTA. There is of course the option to not update, which you expressed. Please do let us know if you would like help navigating the update process
    UJ95x likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

@Darth Spock-

My point is, I shouldn't be having this problem in the first place. They told me I should be able to update the firmware over their network. I can't do that. I never have been able to. All I get is a prompt to use the software update assistant in conjunction with my computer and the phablet. Every time I do that, my Anti-Virus program flags the update as containing a virus. So I'm stuck. And interestingly enough, neither the manufacturer or distributor is able to help me.

I'll have to bookmark your link and try it later, although I'm not really understanding what you are talking about. I have done the clearing of the cache and factory reset before I posted on this blog. So I don't think that's going to help me any. All it did was erase all of my settings and delete all my contacts. I had the contacts backed up, however it deleted all the apps I had downloaded and erased my personal settings. It was frustrating and a huge waste of time, considering I had spent 10 hours on the phone w/ Verizon and LG with no fruitful results. Their advice and instruction solved absolutely nothing.

Also, the LG Intuition is hardly a budget device. Without a 2-year contract its cost is about $700.00. Over the course of 2 years with a contract ,it's cost is $1,500. Budget? I think not. Budget would be a flip-phone that doesn't have any bells and whistles. The LG Intuition is considered a phablet, and has plenty of bells and whistles.

If the software assistant, etc, doesn't contain a virus, why is my anti-virus program flagging it as such?

Just to chime in on the theory of them purposely sabotaging you... I doubt this would occur. If it was indeed their plan we would see a lot more of this on the forums and eventually people would catch on. Also the fine developers over at the XDA Forums would have found something suspicious by now in the software of the phones if they did intend to do this. There are even customers who keep their devices more than 2 years just because they don't want to pay the upgrade cost. Also as Darth said LG would have no benefit for helping Verizon in this way.

My friend is still rocking a 3 year old Sprint phone even though I keep telling him to upgrade lol. All in all there is a possibility you could of got a virus on your phone before attempting to upgrade and this caused your issue. Who knows really as it seems very odd for sure. I would definitely just try what Darth said on this.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    30,560 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Something to point out is while yes it is Google's OS, but LG and Verizon both modified it.

Since your warranty is up, I would consider rooting and flashing a custom ROM like CyanogenMod.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

This is why I pay $3/mo for extended warranty. I had manufacturers defects on multiple devices, all replaced under the extended warranty. If your phone won't take the update, then it would be covered under extended warranty, my old rezound was replaced for this very reason.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

To add, Verizon marketed it as a high end phone but it had specs comparable to the previous generation devices. My Rezound was released in November 11 and had similar ram and cpu specs.

But I think that the real reason is that it like the rezound are not popular phones so they don't get the same treatment my Rezound is still on ics, even though jb came out just 8 months after its release.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Wink Re: (Thanks for all your help guys) LG Intuition firmware virus

Thanks for all your help guys, seriously. I'll just have to assume that my phone got a virus even though I had Avast anti-virus on it. I'm too inept to try what Darth Spock suggested