How's the screen?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
So far I have yet to read about anyone using the device so the usability of the display outdoors remains a big question.

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm more concerned about the digitizer, my experience with lg's touch screens has been mixed.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
What issues have you had with their digitizers? I have not owned an LG smartphone before, just a flip phone from them.

drdave319

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
well...I got to play with a sample device last Friday (but it was indoors and it was raining), but the screen is very bright and very vivid. I'm not too into all the specs (ok...maybe I am..!) but I don't see the screen as being an issue at all!! My biggest concern is the 4G/3G handoff. For example, if I'm watching a NetFlix movie...and I start off in 4G then travel outside of that range, is the handoff going to cause a buffering to occur? (or does it FULLY buffer fast enough initially so as to eliminate the need to buffer later?)

DAVE

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
That is a good question, especially since we don't know how it would cache that Netflix traffic. Did you have a chance to run it through some paces to get a sense of overall performance vs the ThunderBolt. Same processor, just a bit less memory or is the rumor that it has 768MB true? Someone on this forum mentioned the Verizon specs said 768MB but Verizon is always full of incorrect or misleading specs.

drdave319

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Raptor,
No, I didn't check the specs...rather, I just wanted to get a feel for how it performed in regular "day to day" activities. Everyone seems so worried about RAM or proc speeds and the like, I'm more worried about how it performs overall. I'm not going to have a million apps open simultaneously so RAM isn't an issue. When I surf the web, I only need it to open quickly and be responsive. (it DID, by the way!) So, overall...I'm 100% convinced that this is the phone for me. My friend who works at the VZW HQ (who had the phone) says that LG has a history of software issues, so...!

DAVE

oresteez

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
i've played with the LG Ally before..the screen was quite unimpressive..

Not very nice to type in...the found myself having to hit the capacitive buttons several times before they would respond...

I just figured maybe it was because it was a low end phone..you get what you pay for... i hope this isn't an example of LG's quality...

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
When it arrives I will give it a test run, read what others have to say. I actually would rather have 4G than dual core but battery life is the issue. Can you find out from your friend what his thoughts are on the phone from a daily driver use and the screen visibility outdoors. EVERY mfg has issues with software, even apple does. The real question is how well do they resolve the issues.

I am like you and care more about daily functionality than the specs, I was just wondering since I have read conflicting reports with no clear answer. Is 512MB enough, very likely unless you are running super graphically intensive games (which I don't). I need access to web, email, contacts, a solid phone that works, BT that connects properly. I add a lot of apps that add functionality or fun and Google apps are always installed regardless.

Do we know if the 26th is still a green light or will Verizon pull another last minute no show. I mean the lack of promotion for this phone is down right pathetic its almost as if its the long forgotten sibling.

BUT, its the only VoLTE phone on the market today, tested, confirmed and capable of video call over LTE as well. So it must have something Verizon wants in it.

drdave319

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
When it arrives I will give it a test run, read what others have to say. I actually would rather have 4G than dual core but battery life is the issue. Can you find out from your friend what his thoughts are on the phone from a daily driver use and the screen visibility outdoors. EVERY mfg has issues with software, even apple does. The real question is how well do they resolve the issues.

I am like you and care more about daily functionality than the specs, I was just wondering since I have read conflicting reports with no clear answer. Is 512MB enough, very likely unless you are running super graphically intensive games (which I don't). I need access to web, email, contacts, a solid phone that works, BT that connects properly. I add a lot of apps that add functionality or fun and Google apps are always installed regardless.

Do we know if the 26th is still a green light or will Verizon pull another last minute no show. I mean the lack of promotion for this phone is down right pathetic its almost as if its the long forgotten sibling.

BUT, its the only VoLTE phone on the market today, tested, confirmed and capable of video call over LTE as well. So it must have something Verizon wants in it.

OK...here's what I was told:
--LG only put in 512MB of RAM because at current generation, that's all that's "needed" to run things "normally." Now, I can't say what their definition of "normal" is, but I'm hoping it's a least CLOSE to mine! ;) Future phones will require more and will be given more.
-the 26th is currently the "release date" as slated by VZW. They are looking to do a "surprise" release so as to not overload the LTE network right off the bat (the Revolution is a little more network intensive than the other two). A marketing campaign is evidently slated to kick off AFTER it's released (don't ask...!)

I'm already planning to root it out (Cyanogen...once available) so I already plan on removing the "bloat." Your "list of requirements" will be more than satisfactorily handled. The Bluetooth functionality was amazing! Even my $20 earpiece sounded 100 times better than it does through my LG Dare!

I would say that you should check it out once it's out (like you are already planning to do) and just see if it's what you're looking for. I get a kick out of all the people who have little "battles" over "my phone is better than your phone"...as if that matters! Like ice cream, everyone has their own favorite! ("Salty Caramel" from Jeni's, please!!) Just gotta find the piece that fits your needs. And from what you say, the Revolution should do just fine. As long as it continues to do so for the length of my contract (2 yr) then I'll be happy.

Good luck, brother!

DAVE

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Well put drdave319. LG clearly felt 512MB was enough to handle Netflix streaming with LTE and like you said I too get tired of my phone is better than yours. Honestly I have yet to keep a phone longer than 4-6 months, and I would actually like to keep one for a year or longer. Its not the pursuit of the perfect phone, its that manufacturers seem to launch and forget they launched it at all.

I also read somewhere that Best Buy would be selling it starting on the 25th with Verizon selling it on the 26th, which of course sounds odd, but hey perhaps it isn't if Verizon is pushing this one hard at the onset.

The phone does match up spec wise with the ThunderBolt, save the RAM part and the Internal storage, I mean the Revo actually HAS storage in it. I will be getting one it sounds worth it to me and CM7 certainly will make this a sweet device of course LTE is the bug in the ointment.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
drdave319, I know you said you got to play with an LG Revo last week and I intend to check it out tomorrow, but the today there has been a bunch of "hands on" write ups and they are trashing the display, Bing (but I simply don't care about that issue) and the UI which is AGAIN a personal issue and not a technical issue. A review needs to be objective and so far many aren't. So I don't know if press got bum units or what but if the final production units are this bad it will seriously hurt the sales.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Man, I am considering jumping on this phone for the lte front facing cam and working netflix, but I really want the galaxy s 2. I just know it will take forever coming out. I worry a little about a new single core device not for now but for later. Hell my fascinate still hauls the mail right now, but the revo has a bigger screen and what I listed above.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Saw it this morning at a store and the display looks fine. Looks just like the Tbolts which is really nice and bright although neither is as nice as the Charge display. For me it's best selling point would be the 12gb available of on board memory with 16gb card, but expandable to a 32 card. UI, Web browsing and you tube videos all ran smoothly, unlike the Charge which has some difficulties in those areas. I must mention though that the You tube videos did not take up the full screen on the Rev or Tbolt. However it did on the Charge and was so much clearer. Audio was way better on the Charge also. Real crisp highs for example. Look and listen for these differences when you go check them out and you'll see what I mean.
Amendment: I went back by and discovered my error on the You Tube video thing. They had the quality settings different on them. My bad. Once I set them all to High quality, all 3 looked pretty dang good to me although over the 3G network they skipped alot that way, but they all did it. Just wanted to correct that.

Also another thing I noticed that may interest some. You know how the micro usb charge port is on the side of a Tbolt and when in landscape mode watching a power hungry video, you can't plug in. Well both the Charge and the Rev allow you to watch video in landscape with either side down. The Tbolt will not rotate like that. I felt this was a plus because you can flip the phone and have the charge port up and charger plugged in while watching video in landscape mode. Very slick.

Just need to know about Battery now. Verizon specs show it to have only 435 min Talk which is good compared the Bolts 378 but not near as good and the Charge with 660 minutes. If you have to have an extended battery on this thing it’s going to get pretty large. Leaning towards a Charge.

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I got mine at lunch time, and the display was just as nice as the TB as you said. BGR site really put a negative slant on it, and I agree its not SAMOLED+ but I am not sold on that display (not with TouchWiz).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol