Got my LG Revolution Today

rav20

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I got my Revo yesterday (launch day) so far im really loving the phone. I live in a 4G area and so far it has great signal and speeds is running 7-8 mbs down 1-2mbs up. so far the battery so OK been unhooked since 6:30 am and @ 11:45am im around 65-70% left...thats with trying out nfl mobile/netflix, google maps, some app downloading,texting and other light stuff.

ill see how long the battery goes before needing a recharge. Now i did go ahead and get the car charger and i already had a extra wall charger at work so i dont think it will bug me much if i have to charge now and again.

:)

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Actually went into the Verizon store at lunch today. Its definitely between the TB and REVO. The salesman at the store was pushing the TB because he had one, but when I mentioned battery life you could see the expression on his face change instantly. He confessed that he has had many days of 4 hour battery life with slightly above average usage. He said he hadn't personally sold a REVO yet or known of any other salesman that did. He hadn't sold but 3 Charge since launch also. The REVO actually felt smaller than my DX in my hand (maybe because of the form factor).
Now can I get over the following mental blocks:
1. LG Smartphone?
2. BING!
3. 5MP camera
4. Haven't seen a bionic yet
5. All are first generation 4G phones
6. Stuck with whatever for two years
7. Will developers and more importantly LG support this phone?

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Full battery charge with "normal" usage lasts me about 2.5 days.

FYI...tiered data isn't going to be a big deal for most people.
For example, 2GB for $25

DAVE

If it's 2GB for $25 then it will be a big deal. I'm 2 weeks into my billing cycle and I'm at 2.5GB. Of course I have unlimited for $9.99 so it doesn't really matter, but I'm not really doing anything extremely drastic. Most of the stuff I do is simply streaming audio. If you add in Netflix, it'd be really easy to go over 2GB in a month.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Actually went into the Verizon store at lunch today. Its definitely between the TB and REVO. The salesman at the store was pushing the TB because he had one, but when I mentioned battery life you could see the expression on his face change instantly. He confessed that he has had many days of 4 hour battery life with slightly above average usage. He said he hadn't personally sold a REVO yet or known of any other salesman that did. He hadn't sold but 3 Charge since launch also. The REVO actually felt smaller than my DX in my hand (maybe because of the form factor).
1. LG Smartphone?
2. BING!
3. 5MP camera

Man, either he hasn't done the BlockBuster fix or something is wrong with his phone. Even with my heaviest usage I've never gotten less than 8 hours of battery life.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
1. LG Smartphone?
2. BING!
3. 5MP camera

My thoughts:

1) LG has made some great dumbphones in the past, and despite how bored I am with my Versa because its not a smartphone, I have to say it still works GREAT and I'd be very happy with it if I just wanted a basic phone with a touchscreen and some multimedia functionality. But that doesn't mean that they know how to build smartphones, and I have heard of some issues with the O2x. This alone would be enough to make me wait a week or two if I had settled on the Rev.

2) I hate that VZW thinks its okay to put Bing on some Android devices, but they do. Its not that Bing is that bad, but I just hate the idea of it. I'm sure you'll be able to get rid of it very soon, but it almost certainly will require root access and a deodexed ROM to do it. Granted, I'd plan on rooting and deodexing any phone I got, but I still think it should provide a pleasing, if not optimized, experience out of the box. Bing just kills it for me in that respect.

3) Megapixels don't seem to be the only thing affecting image quality. Anything above 5mp could look great, and even 8mp phones may look terrible, it just depends on the image sensor and the software. So the camera may be great, I certainly wouldn't be put off just because its 5mp. However, it could also suck. This is another reason to wait a few weeks to see other's experiences, especially considering LG is pretty new at this whole top-tier smartphones thing. (Hard to call the Rev top-tier though compared to a G2x).

4, 5, 6) These are issues affecting all VZW customers considering an LTE device at this time. We haven't seen the Bionic, but we are likely to get some specs any day now, maybe even today, if BMX is cleared to release anything. Hard to say whether it will be worth waiting for, considering a few features (Webtop with an encrypted bootloader so we can't remove it) would kill it as far as most of us are concerned. Also, if the DX2 is any indication, Moto may not be so great at this whole dual-core thing after all. We all wonder whether its worth waiting for Bionic specs or not, or when it will actually release.

You won't see any 2nd generation LTE phones anytime soon, as the new radios have not been approved yet. So I'd hardly consider this a factor if you plan on getting a phone at any point in the near future. You'll be looking at late fall at the earliest I would think, and unlimited data will be long gone. So if you want 4G, you're looking at the available choices, minus possibly the Bionic. And you're stuck with anything 2 years till your next subsidized upgrade, and there is always something better right around the corner, whatever you get will be outclassed in a year. So you get what you like and deal with it, or you sell it and buy a new device at full retail if you can't stand it, and upgrade whenever you like. Not to mention if you want to lock yourself into 4G unlimited and keep it, you likely won't be able to take advantage of another upgrade anyway.

7) Again, wait and see. LG has a lot riding on all of their new smartphones, so I would expect they will support it at least with Gingerbread. As far as developers, I think it depends on how easy it is to root and modify ROMs. Its not very similar to more powerful Optimus devices like the O2x and G2x, so there's little cross-development to take advantage of. And I don't really see what it offers to VZW customers over the T-Bolt or Charge, other than subjectively better exterior design. So I honestly don't think you'll see much if this phone isn't the easiest to develop for. So again, you'll just have to wait a few weeks and see if anything is brewing.

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts:

1) LG has made some great dumbphones in the past, and despite how bored I am with my Versa because its not a smartphone, I have to say it still works GREAT and I'd be very happy with it if I just wanted a basic phone with a touchscreen and some multimedia functionality. But that doesn't mean that they know how to build smartphones, and I have heard of some issues with the O2x. This alone would be enough to make me wait a week or two if I had settled on the Rev.

2) I hate that VZW thinks its okay to put Bing on some Android devices, but they do. Its not that Bing is that bad, but I just hate the idea of it. I'm sure you'll be able to get rid of it very soon, but it almost certainly will require root access and a deodexed ROM to do it. Granted, I'd plan on rooting and deodexing any phone I got, but I still think it should provide a pleasing, if not optimized, experience out of the box. Bing just kills it for me in that respect.

3) Megapixels don't seem to be the only thing affecting image quality. Anything above 5mp could look great, and even 8mp phones may look terrible, it just depends on the image sensor and the software. So the camera may be great, I certainly wouldn't be put off just because its 5mp. However, it could also suck. This is another reason to wait a few weeks to see other's experiences, especially considering LG is pretty new at this whole top-tier smartphones thing. (Hard to call the Rev top-tier though compared to a G2x).

4, 5, 6) These are issues affecting all VZW customers considering an LTE device at this time. We haven't seen the Bionic, but we are likely to get some specs any day now, maybe even today, if BMX is cleared to release anything. Hard to say whether it will be worth waiting for, considering a few features (Webtop with an encrypted bootloader so we can't remove it) would kill it as far as most of us are concerned. Also, if the DX2 is any indication, Moto may not be so great at this whole dual-core thing after all. We all wonder whether its worth waiting for Bionic specs or not, or when it will actually release.

You won't see any 2nd generation LTE phones anytime soon, as the new radios have not been approved yet. So I'd hardly consider this a factor if you plan on getting a phone at any point in the near future. You'll be looking at late fall at the earliest I would think, and unlimited data will be long gone. So if you want 4G, you're looking at the available choices, minus possibly the Bionic. And you're stuck with anything 2 years till your next subsidized upgrade, and there is always something better right around the corner, whatever you get will be outclassed in a year. So you get what you like and deal with it, or you sell it and buy a new device at full retail if you can't stand it, and upgrade whenever you like. Not to mention if you want to lock yourself into 4G unlimited and keep it, you likely won't be able to take advantage of another upgrade anyway.

7) Again, wait and see. LG has a lot riding on all of their new smartphones, so I would expect they will support it at least with Gingerbread. As far as developers, I think it depends on how easy it is to root and modify ROMs. Its not very similar to more powerful Optimus devices like the O2x and G2x, so there's little cross-development to take advantage of. And I don't really see what it offers to VZW customers over the T-Bolt or Charge, other than subjectively better exterior design. So I honestly don't think you'll see much if this phone isn't the easiest to develop for. So again, you'll just have to wait a few weeks and see if anything is brewing.

it been rooted already http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-revolution-rooting-roms-hacks/88433-revolution-has-been-rooted.html:)

How to Root

Last edited:

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is my biggest concern. Need to hear more input. 2.5 days sounds too good to be true and would like a few more opinions. Really want to make my decision on one after work today. I had the Tbolt and returned for the chance to choose another. Been wanting the Charge for awhile now for it's battery and Display but the processing is worrying me. But now the Rev's looks pretty dang good to me now with the available storage, smooth ops and Netflix and a 2100 quadrant test. Are you kidding me, The dual core droid x2 scored about that on one of the videos I saw. Add 4G to that and the Rev is looking pretty dang good to me, bing or no bing. Battery, battery, battery is the key though. Keep the reviews coming please. Today's the day for me.

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I have read 768MB and 512MB of RAM on different sites. I will say it is a responsive phone, and as quick as my ThunderBolt was.

Main reason I haven't jumped on this is battery life being only touch bigger then TB and here is my response from LG when I asked why they didn't list on their spec page the memory information. Also knowing 512 to 768 in a phone is a huge difference. Sure 512 is enough but when it comes to running Netflix smoothly and high end games and multitasking 512 seems a year to year an half out of date.

The phone does have 512MB of RAM. I have included the specification sheet for this model.

Monica R
E-Mail Administrator
Customer Interactive Center
LGEAI
They also emailed me a pretty PDF spec sheet if anyone wants it.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey Raptor007, I couldn't help but notice that you posted here that you just picked up your new LG Revolution and kind of dogging the Charge for the battery charging thing and on the Charge forum your saying you just picked up your new charge to replace a Tbolt.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/sam...hunderbolt-exchange-charge-arrives-today.html

I'm a little confused about what you are up to. You make it sounded like a personal phone and opinion but now I'm wondering what your doing. Just curious. These people are looking for honest opinions before they spend their hard earned money so I hope your at least trying to be legit. Going to look around the forums and see if your anywhere else:)

Zennmaster

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Picked mine up today, largely on impulse.

I ended a short experiment trying out an LG G2X on T-mobile, and though the coverage wasn't working for me, the G2X totally sold me on LG's ability to push out some great hardware.

So far I'm liking it a lot. The size and heft feel exactly right to me. I also don't know what BGR's issues were with the screen, mine shows no pixelation or washout.

Having just come off the Fascinate, I'm distrustful of Samsung's ability to keep things up to date, and the shape of the Charge and the physical buttons really don't work for me.
The T-bolt looked nice, but the battery stories made me nervous.
Between my last NE2 and a nice holiday sale, I got a great deal, so I figure I have little to lose.

I ran into a little trouble getting it rooted, but it worked in the end, so Bing is not long for this world.

GPS functionality seems to be strong, and sure enough, Google Maps fits on the phone just fine: on the drive home from the VZW store I got a lock in a few seconds, and had good navigation all the way.

The UI is actually a little interesting to me. I've been using ADW Launcher EX on all my Android devices for months, but I might hold off on installing it for the moment until I figure out what's wrong with LG's UI. So far, it just seems a little different, and if it gets annoying, the four bucks I spent on ADW will be even better spent. Tell ya something for nothing, though, it's a damn sight nicer than the TouchWiz that came on my Fascinate!

Call quality is among the best I've experienced in a long time, both for me and the people I was talking with, loud and clear, with no distortion.

On the topic of the camera, I learned along time ago (with DSLRs, by the way) that megapixels are far from the measure of the cam. Optics, sensors, and the eye of the photographer are what make good pictures. This one is perfectly acceptable for anything I'd want to use a phone camera for.

I can't speak to battery life yet, as I'm about 7 hours into the experience, but I'll surely let everyone know!

So far, so good!

-Z

UPDATE:

After leaving the Rev on the charger overnight, I unplugged it at 100%.

5 hours and 2 minutes later, with low to moderate use, it's showing 83%.

This is way better than I was getting with my Fascinate or my G2x. I'm in Portland, Oregon, which doesn't have "Official" LTE coverage yet (but the scuttlebutt is that the towers are slowly popping up and going active), so this might change, but then again, the battery also hasn't had a chance to condition yet, so we'll see...

Having said that, CM7 sure would be nice! :)

Last edited:

blasianguy27

May 25, 2010
Visit site
So instead of to continuning to be wrapped up in all that Bionic nonsense, i went ahead and picked up an Lg Revolution yesterday, well last night. My first impressions are: I have no issues with this phone.

The size is a little big to me, but i'm coming from an OG Droid, so i think will get used to it in due time.

The screen looks great. The colors are bright, and crisp, and looks pretty sharp.

The UI is a little wonky, but i dont think it would be that bad, and i should be used to it in no time. However i might go ahead and go back to ADW, or Launcher Pro just because i like the way they work.

Now to what everybody is mad about....BING.... Honestly, BING was not a deciding factor in whether or not i get this phone. I could really care less about BING. Just like my PC's at home and work, i'll just set my default search to Google and be done with it. And, i already got my Google Maps and navigation downloaded and installed, so i'm good there.

The First Quadrant i ran gave me a score of 2188! Not too shabby!

I live in Orlando so LTE is pretty much all over the place here. I did notice this morning when I went to the bank this morning i did drop down to 3G, but no big deal. I get 4 bars inside of my house on LTE, and seems to stay around 3-4 bars all over the house. Can't Complain about that. Ran some speed tests, all on LTE with 4 bars:

DL: 7.7 Mbps/UL: 2.9 Mbps
DL: 8.0 Mbps/UL: 4.7 Mbps
DL: 7.7 Mbps/UL: 4.7 Mbps
DL: 6.9 Mbps/UL: 4.3 Mbps

So as far as signal strength and throughput goes, no issues with those in the house. But then again i have never had an issue with coverage since i've been with Verizon.

VOICE quality is good, its not the greatest, but its a lot better than my Droid 1. Calls were clear, and no static, or audio quality issues were heard.

Battery: I charged it overnight, and took it off the charger at about 0930 this morning, and it is now 1903, (sorry i'm ex-military) and i am at about 25% battery left. This was after some heavy use, watched some Youtube videos, played some games, downloaded about a dozen or so apps, did some texting/emailing, and a bunch of web browsing. Like i said i only got it last night, so i havent had time to run some more extenstive tests on battery life.

Overall i have to say i do not regret my purchase at all. The revolution was a big step up from my OG Droid, and it was well worth it. This phone is well-built, operates very smooth, is very responsive, and is just outright fast! Its been about 24 hours, and i have to say i'm happy with the LG Revolution. Every other LG phone i've had, i can't really recall a bad experience. And, i get to enjoy that unlimited LTE until 2013! I think the only problems i had with getting this phone was the guy who sold it to me, put my screen protector on all types of crooked! Oh well, i can take care of that i guess. :) But other than that, i'm happy with the Revolution, and am confident that it will give me a good 2 years!!

Lata....

Reactions: orchidsbloom

Chris2183

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
waste of money with duel core phones out there should sell for 150.00 on contract

Target and WalMart have it listed at 199 for upgrades and its 150 for new customers through Amazon. Its also rumored to be free on Monday through Amazon's Memorial Day Sale.

Waste of money is living in a 4G area and locking in for 2 years on a dual core 3G phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: ivalum21

noreaga83

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Rumors are Tegra 2 and LTE don't play well together which is why you haven't seen dual core LTE phones and won't for a little while until they get it figured out, or release a phone with an dual core OMAP processor instaed of Tegra.

funlap38

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I picked mine up on Friday and have been very happy with it. I'm especially pleased that my friends who have iPhone 4s are very impressed by this phone.

Battery has been good, I'm not in a 4G area just yet, but it supposed to be here by the end of the summer. I have turned off LTE since it is not worthwhile to have it on. I had it on for a few days and the battery life wasn't bad, actually was very good, like Raptor007 was mentioning. I unplugged yesterday at around 9:30 (love the weekend) and had moderate to heavy usage, lots of Words with Friends and then some YouTube usage. It shut itself down at around midnight before I could plug it in. So, a good 14.5 hours with pretty solid usage.

I still have yet to play with Netflix, but I'm looking forward to a one-click rooting solution so I can get rid of the bloatware. The UI is nice, I'm giving it a full chance before I switch to LauncherPro.

Moving from the Droid Eris to this is like moving from the 19th to the 21st Century.

Anyways, I'm very happy with my purchase and would recommend this to others.

orchidsbloom

May 11, 2011
Visit site
If it's 2GB for $25 then it will be a big deal. I'm 2 weeks into my billing cycle and I'm at 2.5GB. Of course I have unlimited for $9.99 so it doesn't really matter, but I'm not really doing anything extremely drastic. Most of the stuff I do is simply streaming audio. If you add in Netflix, it'd be really easy to go over 2GB in a month.
Can I ask how you have unlimited for $9.99 if you have Verizon??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34