Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LG Rev Memory and Battery

I am trying to choose between a Charge and the Rev at this point. Im sorry but Im a bit confused about memory. In the settings, the Rev says it has 14gb on the card, then 12gb Internal Memory then below that it says it has 1.32gb Internal Phone Storage. Guess the double listing of Internal Memory is confusing me.

I've really been wanting the Charge for that battery life, but Ive been considering the Rev over the it partly due to thinking it has more onboard memory to work with and hopefully make things run smoother than on the Charge. The Charge specs show the 32gb card and then 2.0gb Internal Phone Storage. Am I seeing that the Charge and the Rev are closer in onboard memory than I originally thought? Is the 1.32 and 2.0 listed on them the same. Is the 32 on the Charge just as same as the 14 card+12 internal memory? If all those things are equal then I can rule that out as a deciding factor and concentrate on Battery life.

Speaking of which I'm still looking for more Battery life updates on the Rev. If a few others can tell me it will make it through the day ok, couple that with a really good quadrant test and maybe it will be the winner.

Was hoping to make my choice today after work but still trying to figure all this out so talk to me.

Thank you.

I won a charge, and it was pretty good, but i changed it for the Revolution for a few reasons. The lock/unlock button is on top(i prefer that) switching between home screens was smoother than the charge. the stock browser on the Rev is smoother even though you can DL a market browser. I dont like touchwiz compared to Rev UI. I also prefer non physical buttons on the front. plus the charging back on the charge to use the power pad makes it too thick to use a case. I prefer a case with the wireless charging. plus I prefer the new snapdragon over the hummingbird IMO. the battery is very similar on both devices on 3G only(i dont have 4g where my primary residense is though I do have it at work, hope that helps

screen is the only thing I liked over the rev
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Everything helps Thank you. I'm not in a LTE area yet either but it's coming. I'm actually working with tower crews that are installing the equipment for it here in my town and I'm hearing maybe August for us. As for the battery, are you or is anyone else surprised that the 1500mah battery on a device similar to the Tbolt is about the same as the 1600 on the Charge with that power conservative Super Amoled+ screen? That’s pretty good then.

Quote Originally Posted by rbess1965 View Post
    I am trying to choose between a Charge and the Rev at this point. I’m sorry but I’m a bit confused about memory. In the settings, the Rev says it has 14gb on the card, then 12gb Internal Memory then below that it says it has 1.32gb Internal Phone Storage. Guess the double listing of Internal Memory is confusing me.
    I have a Revolution. How they have it set up the Internal Phone Storage is like your usual onboard memory. They hack the total onboard into two partitions. The "Internal Memory" acts like the SD card on my OG Droid, apps use it to store stuff like downloaded music and the like. The actual MicroSD card appears as a subfolder of that.

So it looks like:
    / (Root of the directory, where System lives)
    /SDCARD (Internal Memory) => /_ExternalSD (MicroSD Card)

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

So Im just ordered my LG Revolution, my question is what does the phone have for memory, i went to play with one and it said sd card someting like 14.71 and, internal phone storage was 12gb and below internal phone storage was 1.32gb. So if i am understand this correctly i only have 1.3gb for all my apps, ???? even the thunderbolt has 8gb but 2.49gb for app storage??

I have had none of those issues with my revo either. GPS issues could honestly vary by time, hour, and location every day (the positioning satellites move around you know). Im at 8hrs unplugged and i still have 71% battery left with light usage (some texting, 20 min total phone calls, light surfing/tinkering). I have good 4g coverage in my area (St. Louis). Ive had the phone for 3 days and it easily lasts me through a workday. Keeping in mind that I actually work while im at work and not play with my phone every second of the day (save for a few texts an hour average). It gets a solid hour of browsing/games while im on my break. If you use your phone as a computer, its not going to last 8hrs of constant use without an extended battery. period.

Some other things i looked at before deciding on the revo over the charge was the minor asthetic issues. The revo feels solid, the charge doesnt. also im not a fan of the rounded style phones. Not only the look, but the fact that I like to be able to prop my phone up and have it stable on a surface. charge cannot fulfil this need.

I didnt get too hung up on the camera either. there isnt really that big of a difference between the 5mp and the 8mp.

When 5 megapixels is better than 8 megapixels | AndGeeks

In my opinion the only thing the charge has going for it is its display, but the revo's IPS display is very rich as well

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

I agree on the life of a single charge, the thing i was surprised with was how long it took to charge the battery after running it down to near 0%. For me it was around 3-4 hours to get it back to 100%.

Am I losing it or can others confirm this?
    Devices Past to Present
    • Motorola T720
    • LG VX8000
    • Motorola KRZR K1m
    • Blackberry Storm
    • Blackberry Storm 2 (not by choice)
    • LG Revolution

Quote Originally Posted by ivalum21 View Post
    I agree on the life of a single charge, the thing i was surprised with was how long it took to charge the battery after running it down to near 0%. For me it was around 3-4 hours to get it back to 100%.

Am I losing it or can others confirm this?
    That may be. I just got my wife the Revolution today and it has taken a while to get it fully charged on a 3rd party rapid charger that is 2A instead of just 1A. I would recommend getting the one they sell at Best Buy (I think it's the Platinum Perfected Power Supply or something). The charger has a mechanism in it that prevents current from getting to the phone once it is fully charged.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

After using the phone for a while now, I gotta change my review of the battery life. I went to bed last night with half a battery left and woke up and my phone was dead (a roughly 7 hour time frame).

Is 7 hours of sitting idle not enough for half a battery?

I'm coming from the world of BlackBerry where I could turn my phone off and it would automatically turn on when my alarm was scheduled to go off. So I guess I normally never let my phone stay on all night.

I have turned off wifi/gps when I don't need them too, and I'm only on 3G. Any ideas? Did I get a dud battery or is that just life with a powerful phone such as the revo?
    Devices Past to Present
    • Motorola T720
    • LG VX8000
    • Motorola KRZR K1m
    • Blackberry Storm
    • LG Revolution

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

After using the phone for a while now, I gotta change my review of the battery life. I went to bed last night with half a battery left and woke up and my phone was dead (a roughly 7 hour time frame).

Is 7 hours of sitting idle not enough for half a battery?

I'm coming from the world of BlackBerry where I could turn my phone off and it would automatically turn on when my alarm was scheduled to go off. So I guess I normally never let my phone stay on all night.

I have turned off wifi/gps when I don't need them too, and I'm only on 3G. Any ideas? Did I get a dud battery or is that just life with a powerful phone such as the revo?
    Sadly, yes. I have only have my Rev for a few days with only 1 day of real world testing, and this is what I have noticed. I live in NYC (4G market) and when I am out and about in town (outside), i get long battery life on 4G. Meaning, I was averaging a drain of 5-6%/hour, weather I'm just sitting there, or light-moderate use.

When I am in my apartment, that gets poor reception (for everything 1x, 3G and 4G), i get significantly higher battery drain, just because the signal isn't as good. On 3G in my apartment I'm getting around 8% drain/hour. 12-15%/hour on 4G...just sitting there.

So, i would look at your signals. The better the signal, the better the battery life. Im new to android, so its possible that I have a rogue app running. I am currently not rooted, but will root once there is recovery method (which I see in XDA development that they are working on it!!!)

FWIW, I turn off 4G when I am home because it drains my battery so much. but when I am out for the day, i get great battery life with 4G (can last about 15+ hours on a single charge with 4G). Now, for those new yorkers out there, putting your phone in Airplane mode during subway trips is another great way to save battery too!

Hope this helps, though I am sure this is no news to anyone...

Ok So heres what I found with some of the issues on the phone. The cpu govener doesn't seem to be working properply. Rooting and installng setcpu which does work with the phone already seems to help. The cpu doesn't seem to clock up right all the time which can cause the pausing and slow access to the phone storage. I noticed a major improvment buy forcing the minimum clock and max clock to 1000mhz when I need to really use the phone. At the same time forcing the max clock to 500mhz or lower drastically improved my standby battery life. Its more than likely since we have so much bloatware running that its not allowing the phone into complete standby mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Blammo79 View Post

When I am in my apartment, that gets poor reception (for everything 1x, 3G and 4G), i get significantly higher battery drain, just because the signal isn't as good. On 3G in my apartment I'm getting around 8% drain/hour. 12-15%/hour on 4G...just sitting there.

I can absolutely confirm this. When I have a good 4G signal (and even better on 3G) I'm very happy with battery life. However, I just moved back to school where the campus is for some reason a Verizon dead zone. There's 4G, but a weak signal especially inside where you get nothing, not even 1x. This absolutely kills my phone (dead from full charge in six hours if I'm not careful). Same thing on my Dinc, it's just the way these phones work

Install an app called Timeriffic. Its free in the market. I set up a profile that puts my Dinc in airplane mode at night to save the battery.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Issemann View Post
    Install an app called Timeriffic. Its free in the market. I set up a profile that puts my Dinc in airplane mode at night to save the battery.
    Thanks I'll check it out!
    Devices Past to Present
    • Motorola T720
    • LG VX8000
    • Motorola KRZR K1m
    • Blackberry Storm
    • LG Revolution