Traded my Revo in for a T-Bolt. Good luck y'all!

Zennmaster

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I picked up the Revo pretty much on impulse Friday, and it wasn't a good weekend. I traded it in on a Thunderbolt this afternoon.

The battery life and the GPS were great, and it rooted really easily (you're welcome!), but the sensitivity on the touchscreen was awful, and the phone froze on me several times. I wasn't sure if it hadn't registered my gesture, or if it was just locked up. In any case, it would just freeze for 10 or 12 seconds at a time, which didn't really work for me. I also didn't think Bing was a big deal until the reality set in that the Revo will most likely be running the stock ROM for the foreseeable future, and that means hacky workarounds to get Google to show up all the time.

I carry a smartphone because I like smartphones and i think they're fun, but this one really wasn't a good time. The lack of excitement from the development community and the BS way that LG has locked up the recovery were enough to push me over the edge. This is a serious disappointment to me.

So far the only real disadvantage I see to the T-Bolt is the battery life issue, which is surely frustrating. All in all, though, I think I'd much rather have a phone that I like that I have to charge than a phone I don't care for that will last all day.

This is, of course, all my own deal, and I SINCERELY hope that my experience is not the norm. I carried an LG G2X on T-mobile for almost a week, and so I believe LG has the smartphone chops to pull off something great, but for me, this isn't it.

It's really saddening, as I had some really high hopes, and I wish you all the absolute best!

Best of luck to everyone, I hope you do better than I did!

-Z

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I think a lot of the issues the Revo has have more to do with Verizon than with LG. The G2X pretty much arrived on the market unmolested by T-mobile, and its a fantastic phone. The locked recovery, Binged software, and bloated ROM of the Revo are all the fault of Verizon.

One can only hope LG is given the chance to launch more phones like the G2X in the US soon.

Zennmaster

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I think a lot of the issues the Revo has have more to do with Verizon than with LG. The G2X pretty much arrived on the market unmolested by T-mobile, and its a fantastic phone. The locked recovery, Binged software, and bloated ROM of the Revo are all the fault of Verizon.

One can only hope LG is given the chance to launch more phones like the G2X in the US soon.

"BING!" (No, not THAT Bing, the bing you hear when you give a correct answer!) I believe you are absolutely right. People tend to forget that the hardware we see is the result of the carriers basically ordering bits and pieces from the manufacturer's menus, rather than manufacturers coming up with a design and shopping it around.

LG has gotten a poor reputation on VZW because VZW has ordered low end stuff. I can't imagine that Bing is actually a big selling point for VZW, and I can't imagine MS is actually paying them enough to cover the poor sales that the non Droid-branded devices seems to be showing.

Then again, as I often say, I sure HOPE that what I see isn't the "Big Picture"!

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

The G2x is hardly perfect itself. Lots of radio issues from what I've read.Hopefully an OS update can fix those. But I agree, Verizon's "improvements" are what's killing the Revolution.I think I would have gone with the Samsung Charge instead of the Thunderbolt if I still wanted LTE though, if only for the better battery life and the built-in LTE on/off switch.

panerai7

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Too Bad

Hi, I am new here but not new to Android. From the original Moto Droid 1 back in Nov. 2009 to DroidX since July 2010, to TBolt for a month, to now LG Revo.

I am sorry to say but you got a dud, you should have returned it and a got a replacement.
My experience with the Revo is the complete opposite from yours.
I love it more than DroidX and TBolt by far, it's so much faster UI wise and very smooth. The screen is nice and vibrant, better than DroidX and especially TBolt. The phone just screams.

I have rooted it with SuperOneClick 1.9.1 - easy process and no need to use ADB and all the commands.
Right away I dumped all the bloatware. First I backed up wiht Titanium Backup, then using Root Explorer I renamed all the bloatware to .bak (verizon, bing, other junk).
The phone screams, even faster than stock. Hovering around 200MB Ram available with the usual communications stuff running. Installed Google Search, Google Maps, Google Voice Search, Google Voice for voicemail from the market Also installed Wireless Tether, so no need for a limited time offer from Verizon. Done.

Again YMMV, but I am extremely happy with the phone, it takes great pictures, built very well (unlike typical Samsung thin plastic junk that loses its paint from wearing it in the pocket), no hiccups I can think of.

And not sure what everyone is talking about as far as stock UI, it's very light, I compared it with ADW launcher and it's just as fast. Also downloaded Gingerbread keyboard and like it a litle better than stock LG keyboard, but no biggie. Renamed icons with BetterCut to make the home screen look cleaner.

Neflix is wonderful, fast and smooth, speakerphone is loud but not quite as clear on a loudest setting as DroidX.

The only thing I wish for is a hard home button, I was just used to pressing it instead of power button to wake the phone up from sleep. But I will get used to it, just like i was used to it on the original Droid. Also the battery is obviously lasting less than DroidX, but no where near the sad TBolt. I still don't understand how they let it out in the market with a 3.5-4 hour battery - I mean that's just unacceptable for a "mobile, wireless" device. They should have at least included the extended battery for free with a purchase of Tbolt.

Cheers

P.S. I forgot to add that the signal strength is the best i have seen. Sitting next to DroidX it's holding the signal a little better, and that says a lot 'cause Motorola usually has the best radio, TBolt was pitiful next to DroidX in that department.

Last edited:

ivalum21

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
panerai7,

Glad you posted this...my Revo is on its way to my house as we speak and this post was a little disheartening.

Glad to see not everyone is experiencing these troubles!

rav20

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I am new here but not new to Android. From the original Moto Droid 1 back in Nov. 2009 to DroidX since July 2010, to TBolt for a month, to now LG Revo.

I am sorry to say but you got a dud, you should have returned it and a got a replacement.
My experience with the Revo is the complete opposite from yours.
I love it more than DroidX and TBolt by far, it's so much faster UI wise and very smooth. The screen is nice and vibrant, better than DroidX and especially TBolt. The phone just screams.

I have rooted it with SuperOneClick 1.9.1 - easy process and no need to use ADB and all the commands.
Right away I dumped all the bloatware. First I backed up wiht Titanium Backup, then using Root Explorer I renamed all the bloatware to .bak (verizon, bing, other junk).
The phone screams, even faster than stock. Hovering around 200MB Ram available with the usual communications stuff running. Installed Google Search, Google Maps, Google Voice Search, Google Voice for voicemail from the market Also installed Wireless Tether, so no need for a limited time offer from Verizon. Done.

Again YMMV, but I am extremely happy with the phone, it takes great pictures, built very well (unlike typical Samsung thin plastic junk that loses its paint from wearing it in the pocket), no hiccups I can think of.

And not sure what everyone is talking about as far as stock UI, it's very light, I compared it with ADW launcher and it's just as fast. Also downloaded Gingerbread keyboard and like it a litle better than stock LG keyboard, but no biggie. Renamed icons with BetterCut to make the home screen look cleaner.

Neflix is wonderful, fast and smooth, speakerphone is loud but not quite as clear on a loudest setting as DroidX.

The only thing I wish for is a hard home button, I was just used to pressing it instead of power button to wake the phone up from sleep. But I will get used to it, just like i was used to it on the original Droid. Also the battery is obviously lasting less than DroidX, but no where near the sad TBolt. I still don't understand how they let it out in the market with a 3.5-4 hour battery - I mean that's just unacceptable for a "mobile, wireless" device. They should have at least included the extended battery for free with a purchase of Tbolt.

Cheers

P.S. I forgot to add that the signal strength is the best i have seen. Sitting next to DroidX it's holding the signal a little better, and that says a lot 'cause Motorola usually has the best radio, TBolt was pitiful next to DroidX in that department.

i agree with everything you said. I've had my Revo since launch day and have had zero problems with it.

now i haven't rooted yet only because i haven't had the time and i'm waiting for clockwork so i can do a Backup.

Jasbo

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Thumbs up for this phone! After playing with a thunderbolt and Charge for hours, this was complete night and day for me. I love it a lot and really glad I picked one up. Superoneclick root works like a champ on it as well.

Dezolis

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Did you sell the TB or did you manage to get VZW to swap it out I have a TB and bought a Revo outright because they keep sending me refurbished phones and refuse to let me replace this piece of garbage.

bwhxeon

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, I did the exact opposite and swapped my thunderbolt for the revolution. Was purchased with a early upgrade they gave me for my fascinate problems and I took that into the verizon store after it wouldn't stop rebooting and swapped it for the revolution. After dealing with bing on the fascinate before getting it removed, for some reason this time it doesn't seem so bad. Connection seems to be working fine, no issues so far.

The screen is definitely much better than the thunderbolt and the store let me keep the 32gb card from the thunderbolt for my new phone. Since the speaker isn't covered by a kickstand....it sounds pretty good to me. I would say out of the box brand new its no contest, between the phones. Only time will tell if it will get better with dev support, but I can wait.

MizMiMi02

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
No offense, but as someone coming from a TB (had 4 replacements) I think it's you that needs the luck. lol I got my TB on launch day and took in my 4th replacement yesterday, after the lights behind the keys stopped working. No matter what I did, I could NEVER pull more then 7 hours of battery life and that was only if I used it sparingly with 4G disabled. I was plagued by random reboots, and heard the same ole song and dance from CS about how they had never heard of that problem before. I got tired of it yesterday and took it up to Verizon to see what I could do about getting a different phone. Lucky for me, the CSR I got had a TB plagued by the same reboot issue, and he swapped it out for a brand new Revo and refunded me the difference. Then he noticed my husband had a TB as well and offered to swap that one too. So here we are hoping that the Revo will at least keep us in the game to have unlimited 4G for a few years.

algonzalez03

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello I seen that you blocked the bing software in your phone. That is awesome I was trying to do it last night. Do you know of a way to make the search buttom work with google voice search. I have the voice search as an icon on my desktop but it would be nice to get that working with google.

Spoon

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree with op. the tbolt to me is better.

The touch screen on revo isnt as polished as tbolt. its overly sensitive or just cant seem to do what i want it to do. Its not as responsive as the tbolt. Screen looks nice but youll swe the flaw when you use the vrowser and scroll. Srolling is a bit choppy . Also when you scroll, screen aceolled too far even if you only flingged it by a little. same issue as the lg voyager from back in the day.

ui is very smooth just like tbolt. love the netflix.

stock for stock.. revo avg 1900 on quadrant and 1700 on tbollt. but by running quadrant test at the same time. tbolt finishes the test before revo everytime.

So all in all .. i rather go with tbolt. i have both the tboltand the revo. tbolt is personal and revo is.my work phone.

Spoon

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Running the quadrant test app side by side, lg keeps up with tbolt till it gets i the I/O test.thats where revo just cluldnt keep up with tbolt. tbokt will finish the test when revo reaches the planet visual test

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton