Received message while deleting texts, notification won't disappear?

ksc1992

May 17, 2013
Visit site
After noticing that I had waaaay too many texts in my inbox today, I went through and deleted most of the threads hoping to clear up some space. I received a message from one of those people I was deleting messages from while the texts were erasing. There's a notification in the bar and it says "message (1)" on the home screen, but when I tap the notification to reply, it takes me to a blank message. I tried sending a text to the person it was from, clearing the messaging data, force stopping, turning the phone off, nothing works...I'm super anal when it comes to that stupid notification bar, so if someone has any suggestions, please let me know!

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Go to settings, apps, messaging, clear cache, restart phone. Or, just turn if notifications in the app and reset, then turn them back on

Posted via Android Central App

Jessica Kantor

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I fixed this one by accident today. I did all the stuff you did and then some and nothing worked. I had an app open (facebook or pinterest maybe?) and I received a text in the pop-up window. If you notice the pop-up shows (1/2) in the upper right hand corner, so if you swipe it to read the hidden text (2/2) your phone should recognize that you've opened the text, and the notification should go away. Hope that helps!

aerelis

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone. New to the forum, but I've had a Spectrum 2 for about a year and a half. I recently received a text message from an automated service I use, and I'm now having the same issue as above (message indicator won't go away, brings up new message when clicked on).
I've pulled the battery, restarted, cleared apps & ram, swiped the message (I was so hoping that would work!) and everything else I could think of or find on a forum.

Help? :/

EdmondDantestheCMC

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I had the same issue and i tried various tricks but nothing worked. It so happened I sent a message again to the same person and this time the old message reappeared in the inbox. deleting this thread helped the notification go away. so, simply put, try messaging the same person again and check if the old reply from the person reappears in ur new thread. if so, delete the new thread and ur problem is solved

Brittany Christine

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
I know this thread was started quite a while ago. However, I found an EASY solution after this happened to me that I think would help anyone who has this problem and looks at this thread! Like you, I was deleting text messages while I received one, and it became a ghost message-- I would repeatedly get a notification for this specific text, but when I would go to my inbox BAM! the text was no where to be seen. So how on earth am I supposed to delete a text that I can't actually get to so that it stops coming up in my notifications?? I was beyond annoyed. Even after I'd swipe the notification away, it would reappear as soon as I got a new text. I cleared my cache, data, even tried using Handcent (but I much prefer the simplicity of the standard messaging app) and nothing worked. I didn't dare think to restore my phone, too much of a hassle :/ BTW I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Active.

SO, after my annoyance reached its peak, I tried everything I could think of and THIS STRANGELY WORKED:
*(before you begin, know the exact wording of the ghost text message. Example: "Goodnight c u soon")
1. Open the Messaging App
2. At the top right next to "MORE" there is "SEARCH" <-- Click on the search button
3. In the search bar, type the EXACT message (in my case, it was: Goodnight c u soon) If you only type part of the message and click on the matching result, it will not work, and IDK why.
4. IMPORTANT: When the message pops up under the results DO NOT CLICK IT. Instead, click the search/magnifying glass button on your keyboard
5. The ghost message should appear by itself in a thread with the number or contact which it was sent from, and you will have the ability to delete it just like any other normal message! Problem solved!!

This somehow worked for me and I hope it works for anyone else who has this problem and sees this thread!

balista

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
I know this thread was started quite a while ago. However, I found an EASY solution after this happened to me that I think would help anyone who has this problem and looks at this thread! Like you, I was deleting text messages while I received one, and it became a ghost message-- I would repeatedly get a notification for this specific text, but when I would go to my inbox BAM! the text was no where to be seen. So how on earth am I supposed to delete a text that I can't actually get to so that it stops coming up in my notifications?? I was beyond annoyed. Even after I'd swipe the notification away, it would reappear as soon as I got a new text. I cleared my cache, data, even tried using Handcent (but I much prefer the simplicity of the standard messaging app) and nothing worked. I didn't dare think to restore my phone, too much of a hassle :/ BTW I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Active.

SO, after my annoyance reached its peak, I tried everything I could think of and THIS STRANGELY WORKED:
*(before you begin, know the exact wording of the ghost text message. Example: "Goodnight c u soon")
1. Open the Messaging App
2. At the top right next to "MORE" there is "SEARCH" <-- Click on the search button
3. In the search bar, type the EXACT message (in my case, it was: Goodnight c u soon) If you only type part of the message and click on the matching result, it will not work, and IDK why.
4. IMPORTANT: When the message pops up under the results DO NOT CLICK IT. Instead, click the search/magnifying glass button on your keyboard
5. The ghost message should appear by itself in a thread with the number or contact which it was sent from, and you will have the ability to delete it just like any other normal message! Problem solved!!

This somehow worked for me and I hope it works for anyone else who has this problem and sees this thread!
You're my hero

I've tried everything & every app, except factory reset
I dont even post here, but here's a cookie/biscuit(depending on your emoji set lol) 🍪🍪🍪

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03