Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Default Re: Note 3 proximity sensor issue during calls

Thanks...can I ask how long you've had your phone ? I asked Verizon the warranty and they said 14 days, which I think is wrong (that's return policy)..must have either 90 days or 1 year warranty..(I have the insurance but that would cost to use)

Posted via Android Central App
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,770 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by daves221 View Post
    Thanks...can I ask how long you've had your phone ? I asked Verizon the warranty and they said 14 days, which I think is wrong (that's return policy)..must have either 90 days or 1 year warranty..(I have the insurance but that would cost to use)

I got my first note 3 on release day (I pre ordered) and as far as I am aware, the one year manufacturer warranty is there for a year. I don't usually get insurance as I am pretty careful with my phones and usually put a good case on. The insurance is nice for theft and oops stuff. I got tired of paying for it and never using it. Figure I will just bite the bullet if I do break it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,770 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

So far this third note 3 is working as advertised. Beginning to really appreciate this device again!!!

I am facing this problem again after "Blow Job" few weeks ago. This is irritating now. The proximity sensor has failed yet again and the Sensor test shows it works great. So definitely a 3rd party issue? Anyone able to pinpoint to any particular app? I have more than 100 apps so cant possibly tell the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by howdidoo View Post
    Anyone able to pinpoint to any particular app? I have more than 100 apps so cant possibly tell the culprit.
    Not an app problem.......it is hardware problem that Samsung needs to fix. Couple of people here got their fixed either by the carrier or Samsung.

Ok.. let me take it back to Samsung and see what they say.

I have had my Note 3 for about 7 weeks. After about 5 weeks I noticed that my proximity sensor was not working correctly when I put my phone up to my ear. I looked up the issue on Google and found this thread. I took a can of compressed air and blew into the audio jack as well as the ear speaker holes and it works great now. Thanks for the info everyone. I love my Note 3!

Sent my phone to Sansung and they said PROXIMITY SENSOR FAIL waiting to get phone back hopefully by Saturday or Monday

Quote Originally Posted by ScKalbe View Post
    I have had my Note 3 for about 7 weeks. After about 5 weeks I noticed that my proximity sensor was not working correctly when I put my phone up to my ear. I looked up the issue on Google and found this thread. I took a can of compressed air and blew into the audio jack as well as the ear speaker holes and it works great now. Thanks for the info everyone. I love my Note 3!
    I am glad it is working for you now (probably temporarily)., but I hate to the carrier of bad news, that solution is not permanent. It is a hardware defect that needs to be fixed. Read jdphilly's post. He is concurring with what I just told you.

I will have to look into having Verizon or Samsung fix it. Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 smartphone using Tapatalk.

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

Because I'd already tripped KNOX to 0/1 and the compressed air did nothing, I took apart my Note 3 apart today.

I found the proximity sensor area looked as though I hadn't cleaned the lint trap in my dryer after doing several loads of laundry!

After cleaning, reassembly and testing, I now have my Note 3 working like it should.

IMO, with exception to those that have truly faulty proximity sensors, this is a **** poor design issue on Samsungs part.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,770 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by rrspikes View Post
    Because I'd already tripped KNOX to 0/1 and the compressed air did nothing, I took apart my Note 3 apart today.

I found the proximity sensor area looked as though I hadn't cleaned the lint trap in my dryer after doing several loads of laundry!

After cleaning, reassembly and testing, I now have my Note 3 working like it should.

IMO, with exception to those that have truly faulty proximity sensors, this is a **** poor design issue on Samsungs part.
    Agree

My proximity sensor failed after a few months. Best Buy determined it was a hardware issue. I sent it to Samsung in Plano (?) Tx. They repaired it and sent it back. The repair lasted a couple months and it has failed again in the same manner. Screen goes dark when held to my ear but wont come back on unless I press the home button. Returning the phone means making a backup on Keis and restoring upon return of the phone. I not be the sharpest techie in town but Keis is not at all intuitive and I was never able to get a full restoration. I deeply regret my Samsung purchase and am counting the days until the larger iPhone 6 comes out. I just hope I can get something for this Note 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Centexhutch View Post
    My proximity sensor failed after a few months. Best Buy determined it was a hardware issue. I sent it to Samsung in Plano (?) Tx. They repaired it and sent it back. The repair lasted a couple months and it has failed again in the same manner. Screen goes dark when held to my ear but wont come back on unless I press the home button. Returning the phone means making a backup on Keis and restoring upon return of the phone. I not be the sharpest techie in town but Keis is not at all intuitive and I was never able to get a full restoration. I deeply regret my Samsung purchase and am counting the days until the larger iPhone 6 comes out. I just hope I can get something for this Note 3.
    I have the same issue, I decide to live with it. Only time I use proximity sensor is the call, and proximity sensor based on/off apps. I am gonna find work around for these.

It apparently a very common issue for galaxy line and HTX line of product, mostly due to the design flaw that let proximity sensor getting dusty easily. Samsung could release a fix allow users to increase ADC values that triggers proximity status. It can be fixed easily if user don't mind rooting it. Which I will do someday.
    GN3, LP, TMO, BLK, 96G, 3200/6400mAh/ZTE OPEN C w FFOS 2.2
    Android FREAK attack in full swing.
    Time to try Firefox Mobile for Android!, a 3rd party browser/engine to keep you safe!

Quote Originally Posted by rrspikes View Post

Can you rate the level of difficulty in "taking the phone apart"? I have a set of tiny screwdrivers and popping the back off my phone I see 11 small screws that look like they'd have to be removed to access the proximity sensor. Is there a diagram somewhere online? I dread sending the thing back to Samsung and struggling with the required saving of my data.

Quote Originally Posted by Centexhutch View Post
    Can you rate the level of difficulty in "taking the phone apart"? I have a set of tiny screwdrivers and popping the back off my phone I see 11 small screws that look like they'd have to be removed to access the proximity sensor. Is there a diagram somewhere online? I dread sending the thing back to Samsung and struggling with the required saving of my data.
    excuse the music
    GN3, LP, TMO, BLK, 96G, 3200/6400mAh/ZTE OPEN C w FFOS 2.2
    Android FREAK attack in full swing.
    Time to try Firefox Mobile for Android!, a 3rd party browser/engine to keep you safe!
    Thanked by:

Very cool. I think I can do that. I suspect I could stop after I get the internal housing removed and use compressed air to blow out any dust. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by howdidoo View Post
    Ok.. let me take it back to Samsung and see what they say.
    Forgot to update you guys here. I had taken the phone back to Samsung Singapore. The lady was very helpful and calm. She suggested a complete wipe, reset to factory settings with fresh Kitkat to be installed by them to eliminate any software issues. Resulted in no improvement. Proximity sensor still didn't work when calls came through.
    So finally, she agreed this is a hardware issue and she will need to replace the Proximity Sensor module entirely. She said this module consists of the Proximity Sensor + Front Camera. She replaced completely to a brand new module and she got it done on fast track. Returned the phone within 2 hours else they usually ask to keep the phone for a week.

It has been a month since I am using this, and it is as good as new now. I am guessing there is a manufacturer defect which they have not yet acknowledged.
    Will keep monitoring if this happens again.

I followed the video and when you take off the back cover after removing the screws which was easier then they show. I just lifted the s-pen a little and it popped the cover up. You don't have to remove the board. At that point you have access to the sensor/ front camera. Just pop the connector for that and then there is a metal clip holding it in. Pry up on the center of the clip and it will pop off then you can remove the sensor (hold your hand over it so it doesn't fly too far). Mine was packed full of lint too (only 3 months old). There was a very tiny slot that was open to the speaker so I put a tiny dab of silcone on it with a knike to seal it up. I'm thinking dust can still get in from other areas unless the back of the phone is compleatly sealed but time with tell. It should have had an o-ring seal. I took the ear speaker off anyway and it was fairly full of dust as well but didn't seem to effect the loudness.
    Thanked by 2:

Does taking it apart break the security on the phone at all?

Mine started to behave the exact same way few days back and it was really annoying. While going through the post today , I cleaned the sensor area with lint free cloth .... nothing happened . Then took out the battery and blew real hard with my mouth in the earpiece and restarted the phone. It worked like a charm again . I guess the fine dust particles gathering under the screen infront of the sensor does make sense as blowing hard in earpiece workied for me and I have tried the sensor tes *#0*# and its working fine and even incall fucntion of screen going black and illuminated again once away from the ear have been restored.Thank you guys for the life saving info, appreciate it.

Default Consistent phone bug now..(Nova and/or proximity sensor issue?)

I do have the proximity sensor issue, and not sure if it's related. For the past few weeks, when I receive a call and hold the phone to my ear, the screen shuts off as expected. When I'm done with the call but still connected, I pull the phone away, screen is still blank, and I hit the power button or voume rocker to get the screen back on (proximity sensor problem) and then hit end. However now, no matter which button I press (incl. home key), the screen will not come on until the call has been disconnected by the other (e.g. they have to hang up). Once they do, and I hit a button, the screen comes on reliably at the phone dialogue where I can message the caller,etc.

I did install nova prime and it seems to have started about the same time .. not sure if it's a Nova bug (?). Stock phone app.

When I have time, I am going to exchange the phone for a replacement without the sensor issue. Not sure if that will solve it.

Anyone else with Nova and proximity sensor issue have this?

Global Posts
    24,298 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: Consistent phone bug now..(Nova and/or proximity sensor issue?)

Have you tried locking the phone before you put it up to your ear? That might bypass the sensor issue.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry

Sounds like a proximity sensor issue. I have Nova prime and don't have this problem.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

This issue occurs for me every few (2 or 3) months (give or take). For awhile it drove me crazy so I tried many remedies and nothing worked.

Finally.. I found out it was dust / lint that is caught in the proximity sensor. I am fairly confident you are experiencing this same issue.

Get some canned air from somewhere and open your Note 3. Ensure to blast the air all along the top and into all the crevices you can along the top. Just blast the air in there (won't hurt anything). I did it with the phone powered off. (pictures below)

After you get all around that area power it up and test it out. From the couple of times I have done this it fixed my proximity sensor issue and actually made it respond faster to being near my face. Also on a site note... I use Nova Prime as well so we are in the same boat.

Let me know how this works out for you! .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Note 3 proximity sensor issue during calls-1395933869511.jpg   Note 3 proximity sensor issue during calls-1395933876826.jpg  
    Thanked by 2:
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast