Note 3 proximity sensor issue during calls

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks...can I ask how long you've had your phone ? I asked Verizon the warranty and they said 14 days, which I think is wrong (that's return policy)..must have either 90 days or 1 year warranty..(I have the insurance but that would cost to use)

Posted via Android Central App

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks...can I ask how long you've had your phone ? I asked Verizon the warranty and they said 14 days, which I think is wrong (that's return policy)..must have either 90 days or 1 year warranty..(I have the insurance but that would cost to use)

Posted via Android Central App

I got my first note 3 on release day (I pre ordered) and as far as I am aware, the one year manufacturer warranty is there for a year. I don't usually get insurance as I am pretty careful with my phones and usually put a good case on. The insurance is nice for theft and oops stuff. I got tired of paying for it and never using it. Figure I will just bite the bullet if I do break it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
So far this third note 3 is working as advertised. Beginning to really appreciate this device again!!!

howdidoo

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I am facing this problem again after "Blow Job" few weeks ago. This is irritating now. The proximity sensor has failed yet again and the Sensor test shows it works great. So definitely a 3rd party issue? Anyone able to pinpoint to any particular app? I have more than 100 apps so cant possibly tell the culprit.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Anyone able to pinpoint to any particular app? I have more than 100 apps so cant possibly tell the culprit.
Not an app problem.......it is hardware problem that Samsung needs to fix. Couple of people here got their fixed either by the carrier or Samsung.

ScKalbe

Banned
May 9, 2013
Visit site
I have had my Note 3 for about 7 weeks. After about 5 weeks I noticed that my proximity sensor was not working correctly when I put my phone up to my ear. I looked up the issue on Google and found this thread. I took a can of compressed air and blew into the audio jack as well as the ear speaker holes and it works great now. Thanks for the info everyone. I love my Note 3!

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I have had my Note 3 for about 7 weeks. After about 5 weeks I noticed that my proximity sensor was not working correctly when I put my phone up to my ear. I looked up the issue on Google and found this thread. I took a can of compressed air and blew into the audio jack as well as the ear speaker holes and it works great now. Thanks for the info everyone. I love my Note 3!
I am glad it is working for you now (probably temporarily)., but I hate to the carrier of bad news, that solution is not permanent. It is a hardware defect that needs to be fixed. Read jdphilly's post. He is concurring with what I just told you.

rrspikes

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Because I'd already tripped KNOX to 0/1 and the compressed air did nothing, I took apart my Note 3 apart today.

I found the proximity sensor area looked as though I hadn't cleaned the lint trap in my dryer after doing several loads of laundry!

After cleaning, reassembly and testing, I now have my Note 3 working like it should.

IMO, with exception to those that have truly faulty proximity sensors, this is a **** poor design issue on Samsungs part.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Because I'd already tripped KNOX to 0/1 and the compressed air did nothing, I took apart my Note 3 apart today.

I found the proximity sensor area looked as though I hadn't cleaned the lint trap in my dryer after doing several loads of laundry!

After cleaning, reassembly and testing, I now have my Note 3 working like it should.

IMO, with exception to those that have truly faulty proximity sensors, this is a **** poor design issue on Samsungs part.

Agree

Centexhutch

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
My proximity sensor failed after a few months. Best Buy determined it was a hardware issue. I sent it to Samsung in Plano (?) Tx. They repaired it and sent it back. The repair lasted a couple months and it has failed again in the same manner. Screen goes dark when held to my ear but wont come back on unless I press the home button. Returning the phone means making a backup on Keis and restoring upon return of the phone. I not be the sharpest techie in town but Keis is not at all intuitive and I was never able to get a full restoration. I deeply regret my Samsung purchase and am counting the days until the larger iPhone 6 comes out. I just hope I can get something for this Note 3.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
My proximity sensor failed after a few months. Best Buy determined it was a hardware issue. I sent it to Samsung in Plano (?) Tx. They repaired it and sent it back. The repair lasted a couple months and it has failed again in the same manner. Screen goes dark when held to my ear but wont come back on unless I press the home button. Returning the phone means making a backup on Keis and restoring upon return of the phone. I not be the sharpest techie in town but Keis is not at all intuitive and I was never able to get a full restoration. I deeply regret my Samsung purchase and am counting the days until the larger iPhone 6 comes out. I just hope I can get something for this Note 3.

I have the same issue, I decide to live with it. Only time I use proximity sensor is the call, and proximity sensor based on/off apps. I am gonna find work around for these.

It apparently a very common issue for galaxy line and HTX line of product, mostly due to the design flaw that let proximity sensor getting dusty easily. Samsung could release a fix allow users to increase ADC values that triggers proximity status. It can be fixed easily if user don't mind rooting it. Which I will do someday.

Centexhutch

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

Can you rate the level of difficulty in "taking the phone apart"? I have a set of tiny screwdrivers and popping the back off my phone I see 11 small screws that look like they'd have to be removed to access the proximity sensor. Is there a diagram somewhere online? I dread sending the thing back to Samsung and struggling with the required saving of my data.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Can you rate the level of difficulty in "taking the phone apart"? I have a set of tiny screwdrivers and popping the back off my phone I see 11 small screws that look like they'd have to be removed to access the proximity sensor. Is there a diagram somewhere online? I dread sending the thing back to Samsung and struggling with the required saving of my data.
excuse the music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJlsLUNsvRo

Centexhutch

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Very cool. I think I can do that. I suspect I could stop after I get the internal housing removed and use compressed air to blow out any dust. Thanks for posting.

howdidoo

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Ok.. let me take it back to Samsung and see what they say.

Forgot to update you guys here. I had taken the phone back to Samsung Singapore. The lady was very helpful and calm. She suggested a complete wipe, reset to factory settings with fresh Kitkat to be installed by them to eliminate any software issues. Resulted in no improvement. Proximity sensor still didn't work when calls came through.
So finally, she agreed this is a hardware issue and she will need to replace the Proximity Sensor module entirely. She said this module consists of the Proximity Sensor + Front Camera. She replaced completely to a brand new module and she got it done on fast track. Returned the phone within 2 hours else they usually ask to keep the phone for a week.

It has been a month since I am using this, and it is as good as new now. I am guessing there is a manufacturer defect which they have not yet acknowledged.
Will keep monitoring if this happens again.

anon(635726)

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I followed the video and when you take off the back cover after removing the screws which was easier then they show. I just lifted the s-pen a little and it popped the cover up. You don't have to remove the board. At that point you have access to the sensor/ front camera. Just pop the connector for that and then there is a metal clip holding it in. Pry up on the center of the clip and it will pop off then you can remove the sensor (hold your hand over it so it doesn't fly too far). Mine was packed full of lint too (only 3 months old). There was a very tiny slot that was open to the speaker so I put a tiny dab of silcone on it with a knike to seal it up. I'm thinking dust can still get in from other areas unless the back of the phone is compleatly sealed but time with tell. It should have had an o-ring seal. I took the ear speaker off anyway and it was fairly full of dust as well but didn't seem to effect the loudness.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance