Verizon Note 3 LTE Interoperable on AT&T LTE Bands

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the n00b post, but I was comparing specs on both the AT&T and Verizon Note 3. I was curious with AWS, would the Verizon Note 3 have access to LTE from AT&T? I know HSPA+ is inter-operable on the phone, so please be gentle :(.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the n00b post, but I was comparing specs on both the AT&T and Verizon Note 3. I was curious with AWS, would the Verizon Note 3 have access to LTE from AT&T? I know HSPA+ is inter-operable on the phone, so please be gentle :(.
Don't think so, AT&T is a GSM carrier and Verizon is a CDMA carrier. Not even sure if HSPA+ would work.

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
The thing is, the Verizon Note 3 has a CDMA/GSM chipset that overlaps on the same bands as AT&T.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com/smartphones/galaxy-note-4/&token=FkQIMdmt

Network
LTE, CDMA/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)
Global Network: EDGE/GSM (850/900/1800/1900), HSPA/UMTS(850/900/1900/2100)

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Jet Black cell phone from AT&T

4G-LTE Bands 2, 4, 5 and 17

4G HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul

3G - UMTS 850/1900/2100MHz

GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz

According to this, one could purchase a Verizon Note 3 and bring it over to AT&T, with voice and data functionality. I guess the issue would be LTE support.

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
You CAN use a Verizon Note 3 on AT&T or T-Mobile. You will get hspa+ speeds only. You just have to add apn info manually to get data working, but it DOES work.
FYI, you can use a T-Mobile N3 on AT&T & get lte.

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
No way to change this through rooting and custom ROM's? Just picked up my go phone SIM card with voice and data functionality for my Note 2. I would love to mod this phone to have the ability to go anywhere I want.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
No way to change this through rooting and custom ROM's? Just picked up my go phone SIM card with voice and data functionality for my Note 2. I would love to mod this phone to have the ability to go anywhere I want.
Don't think so, they use different radios to support different bands and different network technology

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Don't think so, they use different radios to support different bands and different network technology

You can get HSPA. The Verizon phone has GSM radios. Most phones now a days come with GSM for international use.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
You can get HSPA. The Verizon phone has GSM radios. Most phones now a days come with GSM for international use.

I know but he was asking if he could get LTE

Posted via Android Central App

KaCh0w

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site

I know but he was asking if he could get LTE

All of you are forgetting something very important that was on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Box before you opened it. As All of YOU THAT OWN A SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 3, the box that your device arrived in contained a sticker that if received in the North or South America, read, ?American Model: This product is only compatible with a SIM-card issued from a mobile operator within the Americas. (The North, South and Central Americas and the Carribbean.) While packaging stickers, labeling, restrictions, mean very little to many consumers, there is a community that takes an interest in their rights of ownership.

With that being said, and to stay on track with what the OP originally stated. All of us know who Chainfire is, if you do not, he is the one that is responsible for apk that we know called SuperUser, or SU. Anyhow, he has been hard at work on an apk called RegionLock Away which is (not a Free APK) [APP][2013.10.05] RegionLock Away [ROOT] - xda-developers that is designed to unlock the Region making our device able to swap SIM cards. Which in the instance of the AT&T LTE, I would advise using the latest available AT&T SIM card available, rather than a 5 year old 3g AT&T SIM card which would be lucky to hold 2 bars of coverage.

Here is the link to Chainfire's XDA thread RegionLock Away which is an App (that is not Free) [APP][2013.10.05] RegionLock Away [ROOT] - xda-developers

* I have not attempted this, as I am contempt with vzw service and full-time LTE. I have noticed some AT&T users gain an advantage lately, have not seen much from Verizon as it is still very early..

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
All of you are forgetting something very important that was on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Box before you opened it. As All of YOU THAT OWN A SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 3, the box that your device arrived in contained a sticker that if received in the North or South America, read, “American Model: This product is only compatible with a SIM-card issued from a mobile operator within the Americas. (The North, South and Central Americas and the Carribbean.) While packaging stickers, labeling, restrictions, mean very little to many consumers, there is a community that takes an interest in their rights of ownership.

With that being said, and to stay on track with what the OP originally stated. All of us know who Chainfire is, if you do not, he is the one that is responsible for apk that we know called SuperUser, or SU. Anyhow, he has been hard at work on an apk called RegionLock Away which is (not a Free APK) [APP][2013.10.05] RegionLock Away [ROOT] - xda-developers that is designed to unlock the Region making our device able to swap SIM cards. Which in the instance of the AT&T LTE, I would advise using the latest available AT&T SIM card available, rather than a 5 year old 3g AT&T SIM card which would be lucky to hold 2 bars of coverage.

Here is the link to Chainfire's XDA thread RegionLock Away which is an App (that is not Free) [APP][2013.10.05] RegionLock Away [ROOT] - xda-developers

RegionLock Away - YouTube

* I have not attempted this, as I am contempt with vzw service and full-time LTE. I have noticed some AT&T users gain an advantage lately, have not seen much from Verizon as it is still very early..
Wrong. Once you activate your phone with YOUR region's sim, you can use ANY compatible sim from whatever country you want. The whole region lock thing was massively misunderstood & full of fud. Only the initial activation has to be done with your regional sim card.

KaCh0w

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Wrong. Once you activate your phone with YOUR region's sim, you can use ANY compatible sim from whatever country you want. The whole region lock thing was massively misunderstood & full of fud. Only the initial activation has to be done with your regional sim card.

Seems you and Chainfire have a difference of opinion then. Which considering the Chainfire's Reputation he has my support as well. Perhaps you could provide some documentation that states otherwise?

post-49254-0-35790400-1380221571_thumb.jpg

post-49254-0-10827200-1380221573_thumb.jpg

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Seems you and Chainfire have a difference of opinion then. Which considering the Chainfire's Reputation he has my support as well. Perhaps you could provide some documentation that states otherwise?

View attachment 88972

View attachment 88973
Right here at Android Central. Here's what's going on with the Galaxy Note 3's region-locking | Android Central
If you've got an unlocked European or American Galaxy Note 3 and used a local SIM when you switched it on for the first time, you're good ? you don't need to do anything. Your Note 3 should be unlocked to use any SIM when you travel outside of the phone's home region.

If you've got (or plan to pick up) a Galaxy Note 3 but haven't switched it on yet, make sure to use a local (same region as the phone) SIM when you switch it on for the first time and run through the initial setup.
Once a device is activated normally, the regional SIM lock is automatically released. Users can enjoy the roaming service as usual and can use other region?s SIM card when travelling.

midnite_blue

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
where's Samsung Global's statement on this?

I don't know about the FUD part, if the implication is that it's groundless for someone to be uncertain about what's going on with Samsung's new region-lock policy, doubtful about being told the truth and afraid of the dangerous precedent set when corporations use dominant market share to act like governments when establishing international trade restrictions. You're wrong, Chocu1a, if you think FUD can't be accompanied by a resolve to uncover the truth... and to stand up for owners' rights to control how they use their phones.

But you're right, if by right we mean that you've been precise in reiterating one of the positions Samsung representatives have taken on unlocking the region lock... and that you've accurately linked to Samsung UK's statement, a press release which was reported without independent journalistic investigation.

Reminds me of the good ole days -- 5 weeks ago -- when we used to believe we could become knowledgeable by studying the specs provided by the manufacturer.

But KaCh0w is right, too, if by right we mean that:

1. A lot of people are saying that the official procedure -- use an in-region sim first then you're unlocked -- doesn't work with their phones.

2. There have been between 500 to 1,000 downloads of Chainfire's RegionLock Away app from the Play Store... a number that doesn't include other people with Note 3's who a) have downloaded that app for free off another forum, b) have purchased unlock codes off the Internet, c) have an 'unlocked' Latin American phone that's actually locked but they don't want to root, d) have encountered the problem but aren't Internet-savvy enough to find these avenues, e) pre-ordered the phone and were i) caught by surprise when it was delivered, ii) frustrated by Samsung's ongoing lack of communication, iii) not interested in having this limitation and iv) ticked off by the surreptitious way it was introduced... and consequently returned their phones, and f) (and this could be the largest number) have a region-locked phone but don't know it... and won't find out until they travel abroad and try to avoid roaming fees.

3. While Samsung Global has been saying nothing about region locking & unlocking, their national divisions have issued contradictory statements. For example, Samsung France has said that region-locked phones can't be unlocked. One of the two national divisions most predominant in making the statement you've referred to a couple of times here, Samsung Germany, put it in writing but then retracted it. The other division, Samsung UK, has been willing to say on the phone several times that, although their phrase, "[users] can use other region?s SIM card when traveling" could be understood to mean that users are restricted to 'using other sims from within the same region,' what it really means is that the region lock is completely released... yet they've repeatedly refused to put that in writing.

We probably should take this over to The Note 3 is region locked out of respect to the OP. Sorry, ThePiousPriest... I know you've asked a separate question here.

Last edited:

JiggaLoew

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Definitely not trying to hijack the thread at all, but figured this might be a good place to ask if the reverse would be possible. An AT&T Note 3 on Verizon's network? Would LTE work?

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Definitely not trying to hijack the thread at all, but figured this might be a good place to ask if the reverse would be possible. An AT&T Note 3 on Verizon's network? Would LTE work?
Unless a phone is branded for Verizon and is in there database, you have a better chance stopping the bulls from running then trying to get a non Verizon phone on there network.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Yes, but they'll do their best to keep that from happening

JiggaLoew

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
How will they try to keep that from happening? I can have the phone unlocked with att (I'm military and they are usually pretty helpful with me on unlocking). Is it as simple as just Swapping in a sim card from Verizon and everything will work? Lte included? Thank you for your help.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
How will they try to keep that from happening? I can have the phone unlocked with att (I'm military and they are usually pretty helpful with me on unlocking). Is it as simple as just Swapping in a sim card from Verizon and everything will work? Lte included? Thank you for your help.

If it is a att note 3, then won't work on Verizon.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Katy Moore1

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
So to clarify: If I purchase an unlocked note 3 or one that is locked to Verizon, can I get a SIM card from ATT to use on my husband's share plan for a few months until we both switch to Verizon? Not traveling anywhere outside the midwest US. Or will I have trouble setting up on ATT's GSM?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance