SD card trashed

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to copy some images to my SD card, but when I attached the phone to my computer, I saw something like this:

androidSD..jpg

Two folders were identically named ("Movies", but starting with an odd "micro" character) - both were empty folders. And there were 1010 identically named folders with that same character.

I couldn't delete any of those folders as windows reported "This is no longer located in M:\. Verify the item's location and try again." I suspect windows couldn't find a folder named with an extended ASCII character.

Any ideas what might have caused this?

bert

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried pulling the card and just viewing it on a card reader on said computer?

If not, I assume you have data that is on it for the most part, should be able to use google backup for the pictures, and reformat to try it again.

I would think just running the card standalone in a card reader might work.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I pulled the card and put it in a reader on my desktop - same thing.

I backed up the folders other than the "strange" ones, and have now formatted the SD card and put the data back - everything seems to be in order, but I just would like to know if it's something I did to cause that to happen.

thanks,
bert

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
looks exactly like the Utorrent symbol

utorrent-150x150.png

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
It does look like from uTorrent, or the Mu symbol from physics. I have never seen that happen with the file names though, unless something has corrupted them. Sorry can't be more help.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The files are corrupted, that's why you have the weird symbol. Happens to my SD card frequently, need to buy a good Samsung or SanDisk one

Posted via Android Central App

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Whatever the corruption was, the phone still worked fine - I probably wouldn't have known about it if I didn't want to add some images to the SD card.

Backing up and reformatting seemed to do the trick - at least for now.

bert

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Whatever the corruption was, the phone still worked fine - I probably wouldn't have known about it if I didn't want to add some images to the SD card.

Backing up and reformatting seemed to do the trick - at least for now.

bert
Only the SD card gets corrupted. I had my pics and music backed up so I formatted the card and redownloaded everything

ddhockey

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
my sd card was corrupted within 24 hours of installing it in my new note. It was not a new card - and it could have been "ready to die" - but it did start out working when my stuff was moved over - however i didn't come directly home and back up the card - so when it crashed i was not prepared. will be using dropbox from now on. i'm not at all savvy about what your files mean - just adding that i had a similar sd card failure soon after moving card from old droid to new note.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
my sd card was corrupted within 24 hours of installing it in my new note. It was not a new card - and it could have been "ready to die" - but it did start out working when my stuff was moved over - however i didn't come directly home and back up the card - so when it crashed i was not prepared. will be using dropbox from now on. i'm not at all savvy about what your files mean - just adding that i had a similar sd card failure soon after moving card from old droid to new note.
What brand is it? My generic one corrupts often :(

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It's an Adata class 10 card. I've ordered a SanDisk card as backup, but can't imagine that the card could be the reason why 1010 folders were created.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20