Corrupted JPEG images

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, maybe it's my SD card, but...

over half of the pictures I take are unreadable - at least by external programs. The "Gallery" app shows an icon instead of an image on these "unreadable" images, but when I click on one of those icons (looks like a head and shoulders icon), the image is displayed full-screen. If I email the image to myself and try to open it on a Windows desktop, it doesn't open. I've tried Photoshop, ACDSEE, Windows photo viewer, etc, etc. Each program either displays a blank image or I get an error message.

here's a sample of what these icons look like:
Screenshot_2013-10-28-23-13-11_resized1.png

On the phone, if I try to open one of these "icon" images in Pixlr Express, I get an "Unsupported File" error. But, the Gallery app on the phone can view every one of these.

Anyone else having this issue? Any solutions to be able to read these images??

thanks,
bert

radixe

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Try rebooting the phone. For me the files does come back after a reboot. If if still doesn't work, try checking the SD card for errors on pc.

I notice that I start have similar errors when I connect the phone to kies on mac. Sometimes it will open, sometimes not. Everything on the card become inaccessible, photos, movies, music, apps, etc. Although I could still see the files on a file explorer.

I tried formatting but the problem persists. Does anyone have a solution? This is a rather annoying bug.

spark001uk

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Yep same here, I've just updated my S4 to 4.3 via kies and noticed a few of these. I don't think it's your card necessarily, as the few I've found are in my download folder in the phone's memory. When I click the thumb, I get the corrupted icon full screen. If I then press menu and bring up details, it displays the file name of the image but it says its resolution is "-1x-1" ! I've got thousands of images over numerous folders on the sd card so it'll take some checking, but if any of my important photos have been corrupted I'm going to be extremely hacked off, to be polite.

Also just looked via windows on laptop and they're showing as 0 byte files.

Last edited:

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, I haven't had an opportunity to take a lot of pictures, but the few pictures I took were OK.

But, I tried to delete an image that was stored on the SD card, and it looked like it was deleted. But, when I exit the gallery and then go back into the gallery, the image is back - never deleted. I tried this four or five times with the same result. I unmounted the SD card from the phone and put it in my desktop computer. I was able to delete it there. Not sure why I couldn't delete it on my phone.

The good news is that none of the folders or images appeared corrupted when viewed on the phone or desktop computer.

I'm not sure if the old SD card was the problem, but it appears that it was.

bert

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Yep same here, I've just updated my S4 to 4.3 via kies and noticed a few of these. I don't think it's your card necessarily, as the few I've found are in my download folder in the phone's memory. When I click the thumb, I get the corrupted icon full screen. If I then press menu and bring up details, it displays the file name of the image but it says its resolution is "-1x-1" ! I've got thousands of images over numerous folders on the sd card so it'll take some checking, but if any of my important photos have been corrupted I'm going to be extremely hacked off, to be polite.

Well, it appears that when you delete an image on the Note 3, that it doesn't actually delete it - it truncates the file to 0 bytes. It doesn't matter if you delete them with the Gallery app or with a file-manager app (like ES File Explorer). You actually have to delete them on a computer to physically delete the files.

Very odd behavior.

bert

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Is your phone linked to your google account, and allowing it to backup. I have run into having a few pictures look corrupted, but then later they work, or restarting makes them work. Haven't figured out the issue. But, mine will auto backup to my google account, and they are all viewable there.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Is your phone linked to your google account, and allowing it to backup. I have run into having a few pictures look corrupted, but then later they work, or restarting makes them work. Haven't figured out the issue. But, mine will auto backup to my google account, and they are all viewable there.

Yes, my pictures are backed up to Google Plus. I was starting to wonder if that had anything to do with the problem. I need to watch it for a while now.

cjohnson421

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I know last post to this thread was 6 months ago, but I just wanted to comment that I had an issue with corrupt images, the photos turned "grey" on half the image and it was very frustrating. The issue was the memory card. Even though it was retail in box purchase from Amazon, it seemed to be counterfeit, the read/write speeds were not to spec. I'd suggest running a speed test on any cards that have corrupt images. Replacing the memory card fixed my issue.

Tim Rooke

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that it is anything to do with memory cards.I have both a Note 4 and a Galaxy S 8.4 and neither will display jpegs particularly annoying as I am a professional photographer.I certainly didn't have this problem with my Note 3 or any other Android device I would presume it has something to do with either a recent Samsung upgrade or Android upgrade.

Please any solutions any one?

Maria M1

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I have same problem on my Samsung note 2. I was taking photoes of book pages one after another pretty fast and the camerra stopped working. I can't axcess galery and can't use camera now. When I remove the sd card I can see the same corrupted image on all of those photoes but I cannot delete them. Luckily my phone is connected to dropbox and every image I take instantly records on the internet so I would suggest you download this program to recover your photoes.

price0909

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Help I'm having the same problem.
I have taken over 2000 photos saved to sd card and one day it started with those error icons instead of pictures. What did you do to resolve it?

Divontay Santana

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
does anyone know why i edited pics from my htc, and they some reason have a block of grey rectangle covering half of my pics?? any idea, atleast how to get rid of it

LiveFaith

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Ladies and gents. I had the same problem with a new Sandisk 64GB card for my Note 3. The photos kept getting corrupted. After a lot of searching and digging, I found out that the card I had was a hoax. Bought on eBAY and saved $$$ (lol). Bought a replacement from Tiger Direct and tada, no more issues.

Of course, by the time I figured out what was going on, I was outside the return policy deadline by the seller. Anyway, notified eBAY, but they have a real problem with this issue I'm told. Will never buy expansion there again.

niraj kumar singh

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
i have recovered all the files deleted one but few photos are not readable(looks like grey colour shaded)........so what i can do now to get that photos original....IMG-20151006-WA0002.jpg ...................................plz plz help me faster..tq

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Google "recover corrupted jpeg" - there are lots of articles and tools for attempting this - but, there are no guarantees!

RegisteredUser77

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site

Back up back up back up. In the case of pictures, use more than one type of media

To "physically" delete?

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois