Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why does Google Maps Suck Now?

Google maps used to be great. We are stuck with the most recent version and its updates on the note 3 and cannot uninstall because for some reason it is a system app. I tried contacting Google but they won't respond. Direction up functionality (aka follow me or navigate without destination) doesn't work. I'm shown traveling sideways on map instead of up. Map doesn't rotate properly to follow my direction. I also miss labs, expecially being able to measure distances. Plenty of posts about it in Google forums but they won't even comment. It's so frustrating. I'd really rather not root this phone just to get a good version 6 Google map.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

Default Re: Why does Google Maps Suck Now?

I hate the lack of navigation features. Where did they all go?

Newest Update for Google maps started causing sporadic reboots and boot looping on my N3 again. I just uninstalled all updates.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by john248 View Post
    I hate the lack of navigation features. Where did they all go?
    Navigation still works. Just search a location in search bar or touch the figure to the left if location is stored. Once u choose a location touch the little blue up pointer.

sheaviousdroid likes this.

The most recent update just isn't very good. They will fix it and their will be slightly less about which we'll have to complain.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk 4 Pro
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Spacemaker24 View Post
    The most recent update just isn't very good. They will fix it and their will be slightly less about which we'll have to complain.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk 4 Pro
    Not so. Even since the first version when navigation and maps were United Google maps has sucked. There have been updates since then with no improvement to direction up mode.

See the symbol at the bottom right shows direction up mode (follow me) yet road appears horizontal instead of vertical and moves around for no reason.

Last edited by recDNA; 11-09-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    Navigation still works. Just search a location in search bar or touch the figure to the left if location is stored. Once u choose a location touch the little blue up pointer.

No, I get that it still works. Again, I hate the lack of navigation FEATURES or options.
    Banned

Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

I'm back to the old maps with separate navigation, the new dumbed down version sucks. Way more route options on the older one

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1

I don't see what's wrong with it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    I don't see what's wrong with it.

The older nav had more route options, avoid highways and toll roads and a bunch of other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Rule9 View Post
    The older nav had more route options, avoid highways and toll roads and a bunch of other stuff
    Hmm. I didn't notice.

Banned

My HTC Amaze now takes forever to locate. Before the update it would automatically zoom in to my location

Sent from Samsung Z1 GPE on T-Mobile
    Banned

Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

If you read all the most recent reviews in play Store you'll see an enormous amount of angry reviews. Luckily my phone shipped with the version a lot of reviewers suggested to roll back to: 6.14. If you can get your hands on a download of that you're gold. The UI isn't as "pretty" but the functionality makes up for it immensely
    I'm also rolling back my YouTube app because the last few updates caused a lot of force closes. Gmail will also get rolled back the the very last version just before they built ad support into the app. I'm not updating hangouts either I don't want Google sms, Sony's sms app is far better. Walkman app > Google music, Sony albums are better than Google photos.

If you read all the most recent reviews in play Store you'll see an enormous amount of angry reviews. Luckily my phone shipped with the version a lot of reviewers suggested to roll back to: 6.14. If you can get your hands on a download of that you're gold. The UI isn't as "pretty" but the functionality makes up for it immensely
    I'm also rolling back my YouTube app because the last few updates caused a lot of force closes. Gmail will also get rolled back the the very last version just before they built ad support into the app. I'm not updating hangouts either I don't want Google sms, Sony's sms app is far better. Walkman app > Google music, Sony albums are better than Google photos.

To find previous versions of apps go to that's the repository for them. I downloaded the previous version of YouTube from there got rid of the cast icon and the screen is now bright again.

sent from my fabulous galaxy note 2

I thought this thread was bogus. Then Google maps yesterday thought I was on the frontage road beside the freeway for like 5 miles. Then it right I drive through a cotton field after I got off. Then it started from scratch when it realized I was on a real road.

And after I turned left it told me I needed to make 2 U turns in a row (which I would have been in my exact same position) to get to my destination

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jedi V1.1 - KitKat 4.4.2

Calibrate your compass...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app
    Do not question the words I type, question the reply you are typing at this moment...
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

You re fortunate but my Note 3 came with maps 7.1 so cannot be rolled back. I have the 6.14 apk but it is useless because I cannot uninstall maps 7 which is a system app so 6.14 won't install. There are hacked versions out there that work but I don't know who wrote them nor what data they might glean from my phone nor where it might go so I'm nervous about using them. They're also not published here or xda but on websites I've never heard of with unknown developers.

ROM
    CM7 Nightly

I'm on 7.4.0 and it seems to function just fine for me.

Sent from my VZW Samsung Note 3
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

What does? Direction forward doesn't work. Labs are nonexistant.

I never had issues with Google maps until I got the note 3 (previously iphone) I'm dusting off my gamin because all the problems above. I'm concerned maybe this is a GPS problem, or antenna issue with the N3. Could it be a hardware ussue?

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

I doubt it. No problem with waze nor inrix.

Quote Originally Posted by rwdrive View Post
    I never had issues with Google maps until I got the note 3 (previously iphone) I'm dusting off my gamin because all the problems above. I'm concerned maybe this is a GPS problem, or antenna issue with the N3. Could it be a hardware ussue?

Then there's something amiss with your phone. Direction up works for me. I can change it to north up but the default is direction up. Did you try tapping on the compass in the upper right hand corner of the map?
    Droid (2009 original stock) --> Incredible --> Thunderbolt (Rooted/ROMed) --> Galaxy Nexus (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 2 (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 3 (Stock)
    Thanked by:
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Direction up mode does not work in android 4.3 phones with maps 7.1 or above including the latest one 7.4 I think. It is a known issue in Google forums. On my Note 3 direction up works in waze, inrix, and map quest but does NOT work in Google maps. If phone were defective why does direction up work in every app EXCEPT Google maps? It even works in Google maps if you are navigating. Google doesn't deny the problem. Take a look at reviews in play store or look up navigation without destination in Google forums. If yours works for more than 5 minutes at a time you must have an older version of maps, a phone other than note 3, you are rooted, or you are the only lucky user it works for. Note the direction up symbol in lower right corner of picture yet clearly screen not rotated properly.

Now look at Inrix. Same phone works fine.

The explanation I read is that new Google maps uses unreliable phone compass instead of gps to detect direction of movement unless you navigate in which case it uses gps. Other apps and old Google used gps to determine direction of movement. Using the compass saves battery life but in a metal box moving at varying speeds the phone built in compass cannot keep up with direction of movement accurately. I don't know if that's true and I dont care. All I know is every app works EXCEPT Google maps.

Last edited by recDNA; 11-12-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    Direction up mode does not work in android 4.3 phones with maps 7.1 or above including the latest one 7.4 I think.
    You, sir, are incorrect. I use Google Maps every day in my commute (version 7.4) and it's always direction up. However, it's easy to have north up also. Switching between them is easy by simply tapping on the compass pointer in the upper right hand corner of the map.

If you're experiencing otherwise then there's something else going on, probably an app conflict.
    Droid (2009 original stock) --> Incredible --> Thunderbolt (Rooted/ROMed) --> Galaxy Nexus (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 2 (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 3 (Stock)

Here's a screenshot of me traveling west (see the compass) with direction up, so clearly it does work...

Why does Google Maps Suck Now?-screenshot_2013-11-12-12-42-16.jpg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast