Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - MJ7 update and root

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I've read a lot of places on here and XDA and I can't get a real definitive answer anywhere. I'm on my 2nd note 3, first one rooted, this one not. I was going to hold off but now I want to because there are roms starting to be released. So I took the update, now I want to know: can I root?

Posted via Android Central App

jengobengo

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I've read a lot of places on here and XDA and I can't get a real definitive answer anywhere. I'm on my 2nd note 3, first one rooted, this one not. I was going to hold off but now I want to because there are roms starting to be released. So I took the update, now I want to know: can I root?

I would love to know as well. I've been ignoring the update notice all day (just started today)...I guess I can quit being lazy and root, but having to wipe the phone kinda sucks.

bgs_piece

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
If you haven't taken the update, can't you root with either of the 2 methods, then enable "survival mode" in SuperSU and deselect "Enable Superuser", then take the update and go back into SuperSU and enable root after the update has finished?

If you've already taken the update prior to rooting, couldn't you odin back to the previous Android version, then follow the steps above to get root on the new update?

If you don't like that either of those options, you can root using Kingo Root to root on the new update.

chrishencz

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I also stupidly updated my phone but was rooted and it unrooted me. You said that it is possible to odin back to the original Android version. How can I go back to the original MI9 build number so that I can root again. I'm just not sure about the Kingo method yet. Thanks for your help.

bgs_piece

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
If you do a factory reset wouldn't it bring you back to MI9? Using the first method of rooting is going to do a reset anyway so you won't be losing anything that you wouldn't from rooting. If a factory reset doesn't bring you to MI9, I'm sure a google search would track down the ODIN file needed to do so. Once you're rooted, follow those steps in SuperSU I stated before and you should be good to go. I know there are some people that didn't have much luck updating and keeping root, but I finally took the plunge and was pleasantly surprised everything went as planned.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
You can still root with the update. Odin back to I9. Root with De La Vegas on xda to the rooted I9, then go to about phone and update to J7. Hopefully it's clear enough to follow.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
You can still root with the update. Odin back to I9. Root with De La Vegas on xda to the rooted I9, then go to about phone and update to J7. Hopefully it's clear enough to follow.

Everything I read over on xda said don't go back to mi9 you'll soft brick if you try

missdorado26

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
What does rooting the phone mean and what does it do to the phone. I did the update and now it's messing with some apps. Very annoying

chrishencz

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that it will go back to MI9 just like if you do a factory data reset it would leave your phone rooted. I'm going to try it right now anyways. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the advice. Way to think outside the box or inside the box. Maybe I was thinking so far outside the box that I couldn't even think to do a reset. Be back in a bit to let you know what happened.

chrishencz

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure that you can find a youtube video telling you what rooting is and does. As for the update, if you're rooted and you update, if can mess up your phone. That's what happened to my Razr Maxx.

chrishencz

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
If you do a factory reset wouldn't it bring you back to MI9? Using the first method of rooting is going to do a reset anyway so you won't be losing anything that you wouldn't from rooting. If a factory reset doesn't bring you to MI9, I'm sure a google search would track down the ODIN file needed to do so. Once you're rooted, follow those steps in SuperSU I stated before and you should be good to go. I know there are some people that didn't have much luck updating and keeping root, but I finally took the plunge and was pleasantly surprised everything went as planned.

Well that was a huge waste of time. Still MJ7. I don't want to odin back to MI9 because I have also heard that it will soft brick your phone if you try it. I have been thinking about trying the Kingo method but I'm still worried about it since it isn't even allowed on XDA.

bgs_piece

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, sorry it was a waste of time. You can still root with kingo root. They have supposedly come out with a new version that takes care of the issues people were having and/or concerned about. I have not tried it, so am unable to vouch for the validity of how it works. I was lucky enough to keep root from MI9 when updating to MJ7.

chrishencz

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It's not a big deal. That's awesome that you were able to keep your root after updating. Did it trip the Knox when you updated or is it tripped now? I actually just rooted with the Kingo method and it worked fine with no adverse affects, so far. I'll let you know if you bank account is empty in the morning. That was just a joke, hopefully. Either way, it was super easy to root with Kingo. Almost too easy and it didn't even trip the Knox and it didn't wipe anything so for now, I'm loving it. Unbelievable easy to do as well. I will let you know if there are any bad sides to it once I have had a chance to mess with my phone a little more. Thanks again for the help.

chrishencz

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It's not a big deal. That's awesome that you were able to keep your root after updating. Did it trip the Knox when you updated or is it tripped now? I actually just rooted with the Kingo method and it worked fine with no adverse affects, so far. I'll let you know if you bank account is empty in the morning. That was just a joke, hopefully. Either way, it was super easy to root with Kingo. Almost too easy and it didn't even trip the Knox so for now, I'm loving it. I will let you know if there are any bad sides to it once I have had a chance to mess with my phone a little more. Thanks again for the help.

dpoverlord

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Any update on this? Also how do you tell if Knox is tripped. I updated with the OTA not thinking I would lose root. Now I am wondering how I can keep my app settings, etc. and get back root.

bgs_piece

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
It's not a big deal. That's awesome that you were able to keep your root after updating. Did it trip the Knox when you updated or is it tripped now? I actually just rooted with the Kingo method and it worked fine with no adverse affects, so far. I'll let you know if you bank account is empty in the morning. That was just a joke, hopefully. Either way, it was super easy to root with Kingo. Almost too easy and it didn't even trip the Knox and it didn't wipe anything so for now, I'm loving it. Unbelievable easy to do as well. I will let you know if there are any bad sides to it once I have had a chance to mess with my phone a little more. Thanks again for the help.

No, Knox was not tripped before and it is still not tripped. If knox were to be tripped, what happens to the phone?

William T Riker

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
If you've already taken the update prior to rooting, couldn't you odin back to the previous Android version, then follow the steps above to get root on the new update?

Anyone who is already on MJ7, DO NOT TRY TO ODIN BACK TO MI9, OR USE DE LA VEGA. Biggerfasterstronger is absolutely correct you will end up with Odin giving you a secure cache check fail and it will softbrick your phone requiring a pit flash. DONT DO IT.

No, Knox was not tripped before and it is still not tripped. If knox were to be tripped, what happens to the phone?
Just voids warranty.

chrishencz

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

If it's tripped then the warranty on your phone is void and cannot be changed back. In order to check if it's tripped go into Odin mode (turn your phone off, hold down power+ home+ volume buttons at the same time then press up on volume when prompted to. You will see some words at the top right of your screen I think it's the 3rd or 4th line down that says "Knox warranty 0x0) this means that your Knox isn't tripped and your warranty is intact. If it says 0x1, your Knox is tripped and you have no warranty. But your phone will work just fine and nothing else will be affected. Either way, I don't think it's a big deal. If you need to get a new phone, just throw your in the microwave for a few seconds and tell them that you were charging it and now it doesn't work. They'll give you a new phone.